Bug in Norwegian language pack? Topic is solved

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
joomjan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Bug in Norwegian language pack?

Post by joomjan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:08 pm

nb-NO 4.0.1.1 partly works as intended as the default language, but the "Read more" in frontend still appears in English.

I have checked the com_content.ini file, and there the Norwegian translation appears to be correct ("Les mer"). Reinstalling the language pack did not solve the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Bug in Norwegian language pack?

Post by imanickam » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:55 am

Tested the Norwegian (nb-NO) language pack. Reviewing the language pack revealed that the following language string is missing in the file joomla.ini that is located in the directory \language\nb-NO.

Code: Select all

JGLOBAL_READ_MORE_TITLE="Read more: %s"

The above language string is used when the option Read More with Title is set to Show. When the option Read More with Title is set to Hide, the following language string is used and this language string exists in the file joomla.ini that is located in the directory \language\nb-NO, and hence the translation is shown.

JGLOBAL_READ_MORE="Les mer …"

What you could do is create a language override [language: Norwegian bokmål (Norway) & Client: Site] for the missing language sting shown above. The document https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Language_O ... _in_Joomla would be of help in understanding how to create language overrides. Even though the document is for Joomla 3, the concept is same in Joomla 4.

Note:
The language pack is very much outdated and hence the issue. Please get in touch with the language coordinator about this and releasing the latest version of the Norwegian Bokmål (nb-NO) language pack.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

joomjan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomjan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Thank you for your advice.
What you could do is create a language override [language: Norwegian bokmål (Norway) & Client: Site] for the missing language sting shown above.
Unfortunately, the override (see attachment) didn't help - unless I might have got some parameters wrong.

The JGLOBAL_READ_MORE doesn't seem to be present in the com_content.ini in other languages either.
So the missing string may belong in some other .ini-file?

I also tried an override in the existing UK language COM_CONTENT_READ_MORE_TITLE in case there was a mix-up of deafult language. That didn't work either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joomjan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomjan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:04 pm

Update: After disabling "Read more with title" in (featured) articles, the override seems to work. That solves it for the time being, albeit without the title reference. Thanks again.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:44 am

joomjan wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 pm
The JGLOBAL_READ_MORE doesn't seem to be present in the com_content.ini in other languages either.
So the missing string may belong in some other .ini-file?
As I mentioned in my previous post, this language string is available in the file joomla.ini that is located in the directory \language\xx-YY (where xx-YY is the language code - example: nb-NO).

joomjan wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 pm
I also tried an override in the existing UK language COM_CONTENT_READ_MORE_TITLE in case there was a mix-up of deafult language. That didn't work either.
You have to create the language override for the following language string for the title to appear after Read More.

JGLOBAL_READ_MORE_TITLE="Read more: %s"
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

joomjan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joomjan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 pm

Solved! Thank you.
In this case the code string had to be inserted manually (copied), as it was missing and did not show up in the 'variable' search.
Sorry I misunderstood your first reference to the joomla.ini file.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 4.x”