Joomla! easy install evaluation request Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 4.x? For all Joomla! 4.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla! easy install evaluation request

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 23, 2022 1:18 am

A little background..

I am WordPress user with my own WordPress web site hosted from a Raspberry Pi at my home.
Last Friday I was talking to a co-worker who is very versed in Joomla!. He advised me to take a look at Joomla! Vs. WP, as Joomla natively supports things that WP lacks. Well I started reading and wow!
So I scoured the web and found a number of guides and processes to install Joomla on an SBC (Single Board Computer like the ODroid or Pi). I meticulously followed instructions on three or four of them, and ran into various issues that I eventually gave up on. I finally decided to roll my own script, and finally got it working. I love that you just unzip into the active web directory, and the DB creation is identical to WP.

So what I'd like to do is publish my own guide on my page for what has worked for me. But I want some expert opinions with things like, Well that will work but you really should... , or that won't work when you go to throw in extensions and plug-ins. I'm so new at this I'm sure I left out something, that's why I want it to be right before I write my post. This working install I have is on a 2GB ODroid N2+ running Ubuntu Mate.
My install script takes it from naked to fully functional with no lag or errors in 2 minutes.
The script is at https://n7okn.com/j

If this in any way is inappropriate post, please let me know.
Last edited by toivo on Mon May 23, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 4.x General Questions

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla! easy install evaluation request

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 23, 2022 1:23 am

I had no intention of spamming or promoting anything but Joomla!. I'm sorry to offend.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 am

Interesting. I do not have any test environment for this script, but I think the following would require attention:

Code: Select all

chmod -R 755 /var/www/html
Folders with 755 but files should be 644.

Code: Select all

echo 'Put this into your browser to start the WordPress configuration.'
Should be Joomla, of course.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

muddauber
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by muddauber » Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 am

I would be interested to see this working on a Pi

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 23, 2022 4:45 am

Yes, and please disregard my previous post, I thought there was an instant reply to mine with that warning about reporting SPAM to Google. Turns out it appears to all writers.

OK changing that wording. I have a different script for WP that I based this off of. The WP script is /wp. Joomla! is /j.

OK so about the the chmod command.. You said folders should have 755 and files 644, I've always used 755 for read and execute. What do you think would be a better setting (the actual syntax as I don't know how to mix them)?

Muddauber, I've not tried this on a Pi, only an Odroid-N2+.

From a freshly imaged card, running this code:
wget n7okn.com/r
chmod +x r
./r

will get you Joomla! set-up page on Chrome browser. This should work on a Pi just fine but have not tried. I have a spare Pi 3 sitting in a drawer however, and will try it tonight.

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 23, 2022 5:22 am

OK it crashed a number of places on a Pi running a fresh Buster image. I'll get it fixed up this week sometime. I'm sure there is syntax that can be compatible with both boards.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 am

We already have a guide for Nginx

https://docs.joomla.org/Nginx

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 23, 2022 1:47 pm

I saw a similar one for Nginx, tried it, and all I got was the red 500 error. With this one (at least with Ubuntu Mate), no need for any manipulation or configuring for Apache. Even the virtual sites you can leave alone. If index.html works (Apache's Hello World page), simply replace with index.php for Joomla!. My goal is to eventually go https, and then set up the very simple Apache reverse proxy so that my Joomla page is on a back-end Pi and not front facing. I do it quite well with WP on PI's. I'm looking forward to proxying joomla behind an Apache firewall.

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N7OKN » Tue May 24, 2022 8:36 pm

Crashed and burned on the Pi, but good on the ODroid.

N7OKN
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by N7OKN » Mon May 30, 2022 5:08 am

OK I have a good working Joomla! install script that is both good on Pi if you load Bullseye, and Ubuntu Mate; at least on the Odroid N2+. I suspect it will work on any Ubuntu Mate install.

<code>
wget n7okn.com/j
chmod +x j
./j
</code>

It will install Webmin, a small efficient (and faster) web browser called Lighttpd, PHP 7.4, Joomla and MariaDB. The script takes care of all the file changes as well.
Let me know your experience.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 4.x”