Table "database name"_user_mfa' doesn't exist Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 4.x? For all Joomla! 4.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Table "database name"_user_mfa' doesn't exist

Post by TikkiRo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:22 pm

Oh so near & possibly yet so far!! All seemed to install fine but then finished off with that error message. I can't move past the msg to access anything on the Menu.
J4 error.JPG
I'd gone through every possible plugin etc to ensure compatibility and installed with no warnings. Anyway - is it something I can easily add in, or does it mean a lot of work to fix?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Table "database name"_user_mfa' doesn't exist

Post by ceford » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 pm

That is not a core Joomla table so the chances are you have a plugin that needs to be disabled. Use a text editor to edit configuration.php in the root of your site (first set file permissions to 644). Set $debug = 'true'; and $error_reporting = 'maximum'; then reload your page to see what the stack trace says. If you can identify the faulty extension use phpMyAdmin to find it in the __extensions table and set enabled to 0.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:18 pm

@ceford I think he means the DB user not a table.

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:28 pm

Thing is, I've never had a "mfa" user ever for the system to be looking for it unless part of the Joomla install for some odd reason :( But I'll have a go at working with that fix tomorrow & see what happens. Frustrating if it is a plugin given I've disabled all the ones the system told me to, even those for extensions I need going forward. I can see this is going to be fun!! At least this is only on a test site so no harm done. Thanks.

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 pm

Hmm - not quite the simple answer I'd hoped for :( But perhaps you can make more sense of it than me. I see there's an "MFA Table" in there which partly explains the error msg perhaps?
  • 1 () JROOT/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/Mysqli/MysqliStatement.php:435
    2 Joomla\Database\Mysqli\MysqliStatement->execute() JROOT/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/DatabaseDriver.php:675
    3 Joomla\Database\DatabaseDriver->execute() JROOT/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/DatabaseDriver.php:1375
    4 Joomla\Database\DatabaseDriver->loadObjectList() JROOT/libraries/vendor/joomla/database/src/Mysqli/MysqliDriver.php:584
    5 Joomla\Database\Mysqli\MysqliDriver->getTableColumns() JROOT/libraries/src/Table/Table.php:243
    6 Joomla\CMS\Table\Table->getFields() JROOT/libraries/src/Table/Table.php:188
    7 Joomla\CMS\Table\Table->__construct() JROOT/administrator/components/com_users/src/Table/MfaTable.php:80
    8 Joomla\Component\Users\Administrator\Table\MfaTable->__construct() JROOT/libraries/src/Application/MultiFactorAuthenticationHandler.php:399
    9 Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->migrateFromLegacyMFA() JROOT/libraries/src/Application/MultiFactorAuthenticationHandler.php:95
    10 Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->isHandlingMultiFactorAuthentication() JROOT/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php:438
    11 Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->route() JROOT/libraries/src/Application/AdministratorApplication.php:167
    12 Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication->doExecute() JROOT/libraries/src/Application/CMSApplication.php:290
    13 Joomla\CMS\Application\CMSApplication->execute() JROOT/administrator/includes/app.php:61
    14 require_once() JROOT/administrator/index.php:32

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 pm

MFA is to do with multi-factor authentication introduced in 4.2 to replace two-factor authentication. I have not got around to updating yet so can't tell you any more. In fact, none of my local 4.1.5 test sites are showing that a new version is available.

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:07 pm

Ahh I wonder if it might in any way relate to my having 2FA enabled on my Admin user? So is it basically a matter of just sitting tight & waiting for some further updates perhaps?

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 pm

How are you getting on? Please use phpMyAdmin to see if the table #__user_mfa exists in your database. If not try this:

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `#__user_mfa` (
  `id` int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_id` int unsigned NOT NULL,
  `title` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `method` varchar(100) NOT NULL,
  `default` tinyint NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
  `options` mediumtext NOT NULL,
  `created_on` datetime NOT NULL,
  `last_used` datetime,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
  KEY `idx_user_id` (`user_id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8mb4 DEFAULT COLLATE=utf8mb4_unicode_ci COMMENT='Multi-factor Authentication settings';
Replace #_ with your database prefix.

I wonder if this is missing from the update package?

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:08 pm

So - no sign of the table in the database, so I added in your code, but while it's created a table - it's empty
J4-1.JPG
Is it meant to be?

Regardless, sadly hasn't fixed the problem. Should I maybe just reinstall the package as if that's not installed, perhaps other elements haven't either?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm

It is meant to be empty at first. As you add authenticators it has entries made. And deleted again when you delete an authenticator. What error message did you get this time?

Did you see that the 4.2 upgrade package has been pulled to fix bugs - but the reasons don't mention authentication. I have been experimenting with different authenticators and it seems buggy.

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:53 pm

Yayyy - that WORKED!! Thanks SO much for sticking with me & helping me get it done. While this is on a test site currently, I'm presuming it won't be too long before I have to upgrade our main site, so it's great to now get a chance to test it out more fully & see what else I'll end up breaking before we get to fully functional!

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Well that didn't take long! 5 mins and 1 extension update and boom - another error msg I can't bypass. I'm beginning to think your earlier premise on a faulty J4 installation might well be the case, but will put this problem up separately.

DimitrisKGL
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DimitrisKGL » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:27 pm

This happened to me after the update of my website to joomla 4.2
Before the update i had Two Factor Authentication - Google Authenticator enabled. It seems that somewhere here is the problem.

What i did was to open phpmyadmin and find the table with users.
Then i removed everything that was in the column "otpKey" and everything seemed to work again.

TikkiRo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by TikkiRo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Good to know - I'll have to remember to remove that before I upgrade the Live site perhaps.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 4.x”