upgraded from 3.10 to 4.1.5, however no php 7.4 or 8.0 (bitnami/docker) Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

upgraded from 3.10 to 4.1.5, however no php 7.4 or 8.0 (bitnami/docker)

Post by gigantor5 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Greetings all:

I am running bitnami/joomla 4.1.5 in docker, on a 3.9.19 image with php 7.3 installed. I believe my named volume will not work beginning with the 3.9.20 docker image. I have tried all docker images up to 3.9.28 and 4.1.5 and they all give me errors regarding not being able to connect to the database and then exiting.

I have recently upgraded from joomla 3.10 to 4.1.5, via joomla update manager from the administrator backend. However, I still only have php 7.3 installed via the docker image. (FYI- I need php 7.4 or 8.0 for many of my extensions to work) I have tried on numerous occasions to obtain a new docker image with php7.4 or 8.0 installed. However, every docker bitnami/joomla image I use after 3.9.19 will not work with my docker-compose file. (which appears to happen because of a conflict with my named volume). Note: only bitnami/joomla images 3.9.20 - 4.1.5 have php 7.4 to 8.0 installed. and they all throw errors. It appears bitnami/joomla has made some changes to how joomla works now using the "rootfs," I don't really understand how their changes are affecting my code, except for the fact, I believe, they have moved some files in different places.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to solve this problem. I have not seen any other posts with a problem like mine. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :(

Does anyone know of a fix for this situation? Or, is it possible to install php7.4 or 8.0 from the source code without any conflct with joomla php code? I am totally confused. :(

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: upgraded from 3.10 to 4.1.5, however no php 7.4 or 8.0 (bitnami/docker)

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:28 am

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Bitnami/Docker)

I have added Binami to the Title, so users Who know see it and may chime in.

Also moved the topic from Installation to the Upgrade forum.

gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gigantor5 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Thanks Mr. Berg.

I didn't know that joomla and "bitnami joomla" were separate companies. Years ago I started out using joomla and changed to bitnami just because it was available in a package for docker. I didn't know It wasn't a part of the original joomla software. Hopefully, I can get this issue resolved soon. I'm sure someone higher up in the company has an answer. Thanks again.

gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gigantor5 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 pm

UPDATE: I think I solved my dilemma. I read this information at the link below that I think gives me the answer:

https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/faq/get-st ... g-changes/

The faq states that: "Bitnami Stacks on Linux will start depending on native system packages for Debian 10, dropping the previous approach of providing a complete self-contained environment."

I interpret this to mean that my bitnami joomla image which is based on debian debian:9 is "glued" to that debian:9 distribution, and that future images are "glued" to debian:10 and debian:11; and, not completely provided as a self contained package that work right out the box.

If this the case, hopefully all I will have to do is update my debian:9 image to debian 10 or 11 for it to work with my joomla: 4.1.5 docker image and 4.1.5 joomla application. 😊

This logic all sounds great in my head, but I'm not totally sure this will work, but I'm going to give it a try. 🤔

UPDATE: that was a big fail!!! Of course it failed!!! All I did was update a perfectly working image based on the old self contained.package that worked. And the updated debian :10 image file structure was alien to the native joomla:3.9.19 package which was built for the debian:9 image not debian:10 Sheesh...what was I thinking??? 😔😞

Proof that the files have been moved is this error: "Error: unable to start com.bitnami.apache."

" Cannot load modules/libphp7.so into server"

Basically like I said in my initial post files have been moved in joomla 3.9.20- 3.9.28 to 3.10 and 4.0

***The issue is I must understand what I must do to get my "named volume" (which has the old pre joomla:3.9.20 file structure) to work with the new 3.9.20, 3.10.xxx, and 4.1.xxx file structure.***

***Hopefully someone at VMware/ bitnami can give me some answers.*** (btw- VMware recently purchased bitnami.)

gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gigantor5 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:35 am

UPDATE!!! I FORGOT TO INDICATE THAT MY LAMP STACK IS ONLY OPERATING LOCALLY AND NOT BEING HOSTED BY A USP CLOUD PROVIDER. HOWEVER, THIS FACTOID SHOULD NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE, CODE IS CODE.

NOTE: I also tried installing php 7.4 and 8.0 in my image via the command line; and that also failed. I could not install the php code from the source repository. I used this command:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ondrej/php74 and (8.0).

Both failed with errors that indicated there was not a 7.4 build for my image, which is Debian9. Why is the only repository for php owned by this guy, Ondre.

Also, the Ondre repository generated numerous errors indicating it had UTF 8 problems and was broken. I later found a way to get php 7.4 loaded, but it failed with many broken packages, and, other needed packages that the installation indicated would not be loaded. So, it appears that the Debian9 image, and the bitnami joomla 3-4 application, depends on php 7.3; but Vmware bitnami says if we do not get php7.4, or above, our joomla 3.9.X and 3.10. as well as our 4.0/4.1.5 applications will be coming to "end of life" at the end of 2022; and 2023, and will no longer be supported.

***It appears to me loyal Bitnami joomla users are being abandoned for this new cloud system. Also, I could not even find a way to get my passwords when I successfully loaded the new version of bitnami joomla without my "named volume" attached. There is a whole new system that has been put in place.

After you successfully get the code working in Bitnami joomla 4.0 and above, you have to obtain your password from the cloud provider. Previously you just signed in with a known password, and created your own new password. This means that for personal users, or developers who want to work privately and locally, until they go live, they may have issues if they are targeted.

This all sounds cloud centric, and moving away from joomla's concept of "open source software." I'm starting to wonder if VmWare Bitnami plans on keeping bitnami joomla "open source."

However, They now say this is being done for security reasons, but they have your password, and access to your site before you ever get your password. This seems to me to be a violation of privacy, but maybe I'm just paranoid. I'll let you readers decide, but this sounds a little Orwellian to me. 🤔😑

All of this sounds totally weird to me, However, I won't judge, I'll wait to hear the reasons for all of this from the VmWare Bitnami representative... if they will communicate with me.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:27 am

Localhost Linux see https://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joom ... bian_Linux
Using quick installs can cause many problems. Best install a stack then download Joomla full package and install by pointing your browser at localhost/joomla folder
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gigantor5 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:03 am

Greetings Webdongle:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I reviewed all of your links, however, they seem to be for making a basic install of the joomla application. I have already successfully upgraded from bitnami joomla:3.10.10 to bitnami joomla 4.1.5 via the administrative backend of bitnami joomla. Maybe I was not a clear as I should be, however, I am not a developer, just an individual who loves studying IT and the different technologies that are available.

My dilemma is obtaining php 7.4 or 8.0 to run with my newly upgraded application of bitnami joomla 4.1.5. This newly installed version of bitnami joomla is running perfectly on a docker bitnami/joomla 3.9.19 image which installs php 7.3.

However, I need php 7.4 and 8.0. installed to run all of my newly installed joomla 4.1.5 application extensions, but 7.4 and 8.0 are not available for the image I am running (bitnami/joomla:3.9.19). When I upgrade the image to bitnami/joomla:3.9.20 or higher ( 3.9.20 to 3.10.10, and 4.0-4.1.5) I receive the errors listed above and my application exits.

However, conversely, when I run my docker compose file using any of the joomla images above bitnami/joomla:3.9.19 (3.9.20 to 3.10.10, and 4.0-4.1.5) and do not connect my **named volume,** the application loads perfectly but I only get a brand new shiny site with none of my data.

What I need to know is how to run any of the docker images above 3.9.19 (*3.9.20 to 3.10.10, and 4.0-4.1.5)* so I can get php 7.4-8.0 installed to run with my named volume attached (which holds my website data). For some reason the file structure of my named volume conflicts with the files on the docker images above bitnami/joomla:3.9.19 *(3.9.20 to 3.10.10, and 4.0-4.1.5).*

I am using the old mapping of the volume to hostfile:/bitnami, instead of the new way of hostfile:/bitnami/joomla mapping. I also have tried mapping the volume the new way hostfile:/bitnami/joomla with no success. Question, would mapping hostfile:/bitnami apache as well help? I know there has to be a way to do this, I just need guidance from someone who has successfully done this in the past.

Thanks again for your time, any further help or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:04 am

Perhaps you best contact the authors of the software you are using as the problem is with their software not Joomla. This is a forum for Joomla not a forum for 3rd party installs of Joomla.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

gigantor5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gigantor5 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Greetings:

All is well that ends well. I finally figured out the solution after being up all night. I read an article on the internet, regarding a particular peculiarity of this specific version of the software that would not run with my docker volume.

I just want to acknowledge that the solution was documented, however, I failed to read the appropriate documentation. The support person over at github, bitnami containers, contacted me this morning and provided the documents that would have led me in the right direction to solving this problem.

Fortunately I had already found an article about (3:00 am) that pointed me in the right direction regarding exporting my site and importing it into a new docker container.

The specific version was different from all the versions which came before it, and there is a specific section in the "readme" file that encouraged export and import of your site into a new container. I failed to read that part of the readme file. I got stressed out because normally when I update to a new image it works seamlessly with my data volume.

So for anyone reading this post, this issue WAS NOT a joomla software issue. **Joomla software issues** and **docker container/ image issues** are totally different. That's why I ended up moving my issue over to github.com, instead of this forum. I initially posted in the wrong forum because I so rarely have software issues that (arent solvable), I was not aware of the proper venue to post my questions. My thought was bitnami/joomla is not working as it normally does, so I'm posting a question on the joomla forum. WRONG VENUE!!! Now I know.

I apologize for being so "long winded" in my post, but I was getting stressed and needed to "blow off some steam." I went through a lot of unnecessary complicated tasks to find a solution, and I kind of felt like I was getting abandoned by the brand. However, it appears that was an invalid assessment.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”