Error 500 on install in IIS

Need help installing Joomla! 4.x? For all Joomla! 4.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
dan40
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Error 500 on install in IIS

Post by dan40 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 am

I can't get this to work!! I've tried installing my new site about 8 times now and when I put an index.php file into the folder it reads it perfectly. But, when I install the installation package for Joomla and go to the webpage, I get an error 500 and I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running Windows Server 2019, IIS, PHP 8.0.26, MySQL 8.0.31. I have several other sites running Joomla 4 and they don't have a problem. Permissions are set correctly. I'm at a loss. Would there happen to be anyone out there who has had a similar problem and how you fixed it? Or tell me how I can fix this? It's very frustrating to say the least! Thank you!
Last edited by toivo on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: retitled

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Error 500 on install in IIS

Post by toivo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 am

More information required. Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that our volunteer experts can review the configuration.

Do you have access to the PHP error log of the web server? Can you or your host edit the php.ini file of the web server so that all PHP errors, warnings and notices are displayed and written into the PHP error log?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

dan40
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dan40 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:52 am

Thank you, I'm now convinced that it's an issue with Joomla 4.2.9. I installed a brand new Linux webserver and installed Joomla, MySQL, PHP 8.1, Apache, etc., and I get the SAME error.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:35 am

Usually initial HTTP 500 errors are due to issues with the configuration of the web server or the PHP version and the available PHP extensions.

BTW, does the error occur during the installation process or does the installation end successfully but the error comes up when you try to access the back end, /administrator, or the front end of the new website?

The installation topics here at the Joomla forum show that IIS is a rare server environment for Joomla, which, of course, can mean that some quirks come up when installing latest versions of Joomla. However, the Wampserver bundle with Apache works all right in Windows 10 and 11 as a localhost server and Joomla used to work fine in remote Windows servers only a few years ago.

Do you manage the web server or does the support team of your host do that? Is it a dedicated Windows server or is it shared with other clients and their websites?

Please post the results from the FPA, as requested earlier, from either of the two servers you had the 500 error with.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Installation Joomla! 4.x”