After update to Joomla 4.22 TinyMCE background Color stays white

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 4.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
annadelc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

After update to Joomla 4.22 TinyMCE background Color stays white

Post by annadelc » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:07 pm

I have had a small .css file for years to change the background color of the TinyMCE editor so that I can manage the website where most of the text is white. After update to Joomla 4.22 TinyMCE background Color stays white making the text invisible. I have tried all of the workarounds I can find, but none works. Please HELP.

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: After update to Joomla 4.22 TinyMCE background Color stays white

Post by ceford » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:00 am

Go to the TinyMCE plugin and follow the Skin Creator link. Try changing Color White. No obvious way to change text color. I have not tried this myself. Let us know if it solves your problem.

annadelc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by annadelc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. On the skin creator site, this appears to do what I needed. However, when I put it in Joomla it didn't change things. I may have installed it incorrectly as I copied files manually...

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:51 pm

You need to select the skin in the plugin configuration. Is it there to select?

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:16 pm

The css file you can use to change your editing screen is called editor.css .
In Joomla 4, this file has moved to ../media/templates/site/cassiopeia/css/ (assuming you're using Cassiopeia).
In Joomla 3, it was in a different location.

However, when I edit this, it has no effect, because TinyMCE loads the file editor.min.css ...
I'm not sure how you make TinyMCE load editor.css instead, but editor.min.css is quite small and not difficult to edit to apply your own changes.
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:09 pm

The editor.css may be overwritten by a cassiopeia update. However it seems easy enough to change background-color:#fff; to background-color:#efe; (pale green) or whatever colour you need in both files. You then need to make a min.gz file because that is what will be loaded if you are not in debug mode.

The skin approach will not work because any background specified there is overridden with whatever is in editor.css.

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:31 pm

ceford wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:09 pm
...You then need to make a min.gz file...
Ehm... it loads the editor.min.css, I tested. If you "inspect" a screen with TinyMCE open, you can see it.
But the question remains: how do you make TinyMCE load the editor.css and then how do you stop it from being overridden on update? Surely that must be possible?
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ceford » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Jaydot wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:31 pm
ceford wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:09 pm
...You then need to make a min.gz file...
Ehm... it loads the editor.min.css, I tested. If you "inspect" a screen with TinyMCE open, you can see it.
But the question remains: how do you make TinyMCE load the editor.css and then how do you stop it from being overridden on update? Surely that must be possible?
You need to look at the headers to see what is actually delivered. On requesting a static css or js file such as mystyle.css most servers will look for a mystyle.css.gz file in the same location. If it is there it is sent instead. This is handled by negotiation between browser and server and users are not aware of it. There are no non-min versions of css and js because they are the human readable versions that must not be compressed.

The TinyMCE editor loads the editor.css file itself. You can find it in the head part of the document loaded in the Iframe. It is difficult to find with your browser Developer Tools! If you want a simple test - rename the editor.min.css.gz file to oldeditor.min.css.gz. Then your background should be whatever is in editor.min.css.

annadelc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by annadelc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried several of the items without success. Sadly I maintain this site on the side and have little time for this type of debugging. I'll have to get back to it later. Thanks again

annadelc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by annadelc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 pm

I edited the editor.css file that the header says is being loaded, even adding the Important! tag, but the background remains white. I don't understand....

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:33 am

annadelc wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 pm
I edited the editor.css...
Have you cleared cache?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 4.x”