PHP Temporary Folder Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 4.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PHP Temporary Folder

Post by Aschmoun » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:48 pm

Hello,
From previous forum chat, I learned that PHP.ini file may need Hosting Provider setup restriction/permission. I applied there, but no reaction yet, or not the case for them.

May I ask here for assistance, please!?!

I updated for the PHP 8.1, and installed Joomla 4.2.6, and still without extensions except Akeeba Backup and Community Builder, but I keep having the following constant ERROR messages on the Administrator backend.

1. (Information/Warning) The PHP temporary folder is not set.
This folder is the folder that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla can access this file. Whilst the folder not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue.
2. The following is the Error message upon updating Community Builder Component/Plugin
Upload Error
Failed to move uploaded file to /homepages/8/XXXXXXXXX/htdocs/com/Joomla_4/tmp/ directory.
Failed to save Install CB Plugin because: Installation error.
3. The following is the message upon trying to update Joomla 4.2.6 to 4.2.7 and did not work
Neither from the Administrator site "Start Update"
File Checksum Failed
Nor from the "Upload & Install"
An error occurred
Joomla Update cannot communicate correctly with the administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/extract.php which performs the update. This typically happens because of one of the following reasons:

The file administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/update.php, containing the instructions for applying the update, could not be created e.g. because of permissions problems.
The file mentioned above cannot be read by the extract.php script because of permissions problems.
Your browser, network gear or server is corrupting the password we are sending with each request to extract.php for security reasons
Please try using a different browser, without any browser extensions installed, ideally on a different computer connected to the Internet using a different provider. If the error persists you may want to contact your host.

4. Trying to Create New Folder in Media but give the Error.
Error creating folder.
File or Folder not found
FYI, in configuration.php file, the following is written:
public $log_path = '/homepages/8/XXXXXXXXX/htdocs/com/Joomla_4/administrator/logs';
public $tmp_path = '/homepages/8/XXXXXXXXX/htdocs/com/Joomla_4/tmp';
Could please advise solution and be patient as only yesterday I manage to finally understand that PHP.ini is the same configuration.php file.

Thank you!
Antoine

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: PHP Temporary Folder

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:29 pm

PHP.ini is not the same as configuration.php

configuration.php configures Joomla, while PHP.ini configures php.

Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aschmoun » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:20 pm

Thank you for the explanation, and where I can find the PHP.ini?

I just received feedback from the Hosting Provider saying:
Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately adding a temp php.ini is not possible.
Could you please advise suggestions on my main questions above.
The backend is working fine, but I cannot conduct any update.

Antoine

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:01 pm

Please post your FPA. See Red Frame above.

Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aschmoun » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:10 pm

Hello Berg,
I tried to upload the fpa-en.php to the directory Using our Hosting Control Panel File Manager but got following message:
Upload
Failed Transfers
fpa-en.php -
Also tried upload using FileZilla, and error uploading reads:
Error: /com/Joomla_4/fpa-en.php: open for write: received failure with description 'Failure'
Error: File transfer failed
I don't know more options how to upload.
Thanks for next!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 pm

I would suggest to ask your web host about the FTP issue as it seems to be a technical problem on their end (using FTP like FileZilla) at this point is not a Joomla issue).

Did you set up the FTP account the correct way according to your webhost documentation (or use the correct credentials if they were advised by your host (e.g. in a "welcome" email)?

You may have the ability to set up multiple FTP accounts. try creating a new one, then try the FTP of fpa.php again.

An alternative to Filezilla could be the file manager utility within your hosting account (whatever your web host provides e.g. cPanel). Use the file manager to upload fpa.php to the folder that contains your Joomla installation.

In my experience (I see that error regarding "temp" folder too), it hasn't had any ill effect on my sites.

One question though, if you installed Jooma, how did you upload the files....? That's the third task, after ensuring the hosting system meets minimum requirements and setting up the database. https://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla.

(However I will assume you have used Softaculous or something like that), but it is curious you have never had the need to upload any other file at any time?).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aschmoun » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:12 pm

Thank you Murray,
I started upgrade the Web Storage, and will give it a try first, otherwise I will follow with the FPA.
A.

Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aschmoun » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:44 pm

Yes,

By expanding the webspace contract, the Host Provider did fix the matters, as you advised, but I still have the following message on Admin Site System Dashboard > Information > Warnings!
(Information/Warning) The PHP temporary folder is not set.
This folder is the folder that PHP uses to store an uploaded file before Joomla can access this file. Whilst the folder not being set isn't always a problem, if you are having issues with manifest files not being detected or uploaded files not being detected, setting this in your php.ini file might fix the issue.
Can you advise please how to setup the PHP Temporary Folder, as the message keep me worried in doing something wrong in attempt to take it out in wrong way.

Thank you!
Antoine

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:49 pm

If the PHP temporary folder is not defined then it defaults to the site/tmp folder. So it is not a problem.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Aschmoun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Aschmoun » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:56 pm

Good, I can relax!

Return to “Administration Joomla! 4.x”