Switched Email to MS Exchange, but Still Getting System Emails to Old Host

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 4.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
tp_finish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Switched Email to MS Exchange, but Still Getting System Emails to Old Host

Post by tp_finish » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:02 pm

My site is hosted on HostGator; last week I switched my email hosting to Microsoft Exchange at the suggestion of MXTools, plus I wanted an integrated calendar. The switch was made and my emails "disconnected" from Hostgator, and (most) all of my emails go to Exchange which I am happy about.

The one issue is I still get emails sent to my "old" email (disconnected) server at Hostgator; namely when someone registers as a new user, or when someone contacts me through the "Contact Me" page. Those have my main email address which I use for everything, but still go "back" to the Hostgator disconnected site, which I don't know about unless I sign in to my server and see the email settings. It's quite a few steps.

I should note that I am paying for just 1 MS Exchange email since they charge monthly by the number of users. So I can't create a new email account without paying for it, nor do I want to have multiple emails.

I changed the "Contact Me" email to my personal email account to see if the emails would go there, and they did. Same with the new user registrations, but I still would like to have everything set to come to my main business email address. Again, when it is set to that, it somehow finds its way to the email on Hostgator and sits there.

Is there any settings I need to change that you may be aware of? I assume my site is trying to send to my main email, but it is somehow getting caught by my "old" Hostgator email account settings.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Switched Email to MS Exchange, but Still Getting System Emails to Old Host

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 pm

Have you switched SMTP Server?

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gsmela » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:13 pm

This isn't a Joomla issue in any way. You need to contact to contact Hostgator or your MS Exchange service.

tp_finish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tp_finish » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:58 pm

Thank you both for your assistance.

Yes, I do believe it is a HostGator issue. I have spoken with them 2x since last week, but they have no idea what is going on. One person said they changed a setting and "give it 4-6 hours" but nothing changed. HostGator has been horrible through all of this, which is why I started by switching my MX away; I will probably switch hosts, too. Again, they seem pretty incompetent in moving my site from a shared to a VPS (lost 3 months of email, put up a 6 month old backup instead of the most recent in the switch, etc.).

I was just hoping someone knew what to do on the Joomla side so I didn't have to deal with HG any more.

Thank you all again

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 am

Have you set SMTP as Connector in Joomla and sent a Test Mail in Global Configuration?

tp_finish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tp_finish » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:45 am

Thank you for that idea. It was set to PHP as the Mailer; I switched it to SMTP and tried it (without changing any of the suggested settings) and the email still went into the old HostGator mail. Not sure if I should change the settings; the SMTP Host is "localhost" and the Port is 25. Would that make a difference to change those?

Thank you again.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:39 am

The SMTP Host of your new provider must be used and possible with Authentication.

tp_finish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tp_finish » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:35 pm

Thank you; I will check that.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 4.x”