Advertisement

"Override(s) to check" Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 4.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sjb1963
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

"Override(s) to check"

Post by sjb1963 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:09 pm

This notification never goes away.
Further, it links to no useful information at all.
There is no indication of which template or override is affected; no ability to mark it as read. Nothing.
Just a big ugly red message hanging out there.

Advertisement
sjb1963
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: "Override(s) to check"

Post by sjb1963 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:30 pm

That would be really nice if it worked. At this point, I'm not given any indicator of what file(s) have changed.

sjb1963
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sjb1963 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Anything? Anything at all?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:41 am

Please post your site's URL so that others can see what is happening. In case if the site is being developed on a local machine, post a screen shot, an image of the entire screen.

As you have posted this in a Joomla! 4 forum, it is assumed that you are using Joomla! 4. If this is the case, make sure that you have the latest version of Joomla! 4.

Is the site is a fresh site or a migrated site from Joomla! 3?

If it is a fresh site, unless you have installed other templates and/framework, the only template that should be available is Cassiopeia.

Did you attempt to make an override? If so, provide details.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:51 am

Further investigation reveals that the message comes from the plugin "Quick Icon - Joomla! Overrides Update Notification". Following is the description of the Plugin.
Checks overrides on update and enables notifications when you visit the Home Dashboard page.
Warning! You must have installer override plugin enabled to see results.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

sjb1963
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sjb1963 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:46 pm

This is a fresh Joomla 4 installation. I will not be doing any migration based on this launch.

I see no way here to share a link or details privately and the site is in a development sandbox and not publicly available.

The Quick Icon works fine. What's supposed to happen when you click on it - is not. It takes me to the list of templates (in this case Cassiopeia, Helix & Atum) - yet not one of them shows any indication of what file has changed. I have not attempted to create an override.

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmleconte » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi,

Override update notification plugin is to be considered as a template developer plugin.

If you see your ugly message, it's because your template is not fully compatible with your latest Joomla version.

You are working with helix and one or more of their template overrides has to be checked by JoomShaper. It's not to be done by anybody else as a new version of your template should fix this.

Pascal
If anything can go wrong, it will.
https://www.conseilgouz.com/en

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:16 pm

@pmleconte - sorry that is completely wrong and you have misunderstood the feature!!

This video clip from the Joomla NXT event shows you how it is intended to work

https://youtu.be/geQfVWsDZO0?t=1578
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmleconte » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 pm

For information, to see the list of override to check, click on your red box, this drives you to your templates list.

On the rightmost column, you'll see which template has issues to fix. In my example, Astroid_template_zero has override files to check.
Capture d’écran 2021-10-06 202402.jpg
If you click on "details and files" link, you should have a new tab "updated files" which shows the list of these overrides.
Capture d’écran 2021-10-06 202710.jpg
Pascal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmleconte » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 pm

brian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:16 pm @pmleconte - sorry that is completely wrong and you have misunderstood the feature!!

This video clip from the Joomla NXT event shows you how it is intended to work

https://youtu.be/geQfVWsDZO0?t=1578
Thank you Brian for your video, I'm afraid that the way I described it is the way it works also.

I did not make any override in template_zero but Astroid's developers did.

Most of Joomla users don't even know that overrides exist and if you tell users to update override according to what they see on the new screen, I think they may cause a big mess.

It will be wiser to tell them to wait for a template update, if they did not create the overrides.

Pascal

formfranska
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by formfranska » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm

This now happened to me as well when I updated from J4.0.5 to J4.0.6. I'm using the latest Yootheme Pro template and I've also posted in their Support forum.

I had made no overrides but the Joomla update apparently did.

Sorry, if I'm daft but what was the conclusion here in this post? Is it an error with the template or with Joomla, please?

UPDATE:
I now got a reply from YOOtheme:
I think these messages can be ignored. Joomla is just trying to tell us that they have changed certain sources (for example blog.php). Just in case you copied those sources to do an override, Joomla reminds to check your override(s) for any changes. But in this case all overrides are Yootheme overrides, so there is nothing to worry about . You can close those "check" messages.
Is their reply correct? And in that case - How do I get rid of the notifications in Joomla backend, please?
Joomler in Sweden :-)
https://www.formfranska.com

saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by saraheagle » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:03 pm

Just to confirm, if anyone is still unsure.

It is the Quick Icon - Joomla! Overrides Update Notification that gives this error message.
If you have your own template, either on the admin area or front-end, OR you have some of your own layout overrides, you need to keep this plugin published.
If you use a reputable template that keeps everything up-to-date and you do NOT do any of your own layout overrides, you can unpublish this plugin so you do not keep seeing the alert.

If you have an error showing, but your files are *still* showing as "up to date", make sure you have checked both the admin & the front-end overrides.

formfranska
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by formfranska » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:25 pm

saraheagle wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:03 pm Just to confirm, if anyone is still unsure.

It is the Quick Icon - Joomla! Overrides Update Notification that gives this error message.
If you have your own template, either on the admin area or front-end, OR you have some of your own layout overrides, you need to keep this plugin published.
If you use a reputable template that keeps everything up-to-date and you do NOT do any of your own layout overrides, you can unpublish this plugin so you do not keep seeing the alert.

If you have an error showing, but your files are *still* showing as "up to date", make sure you have checked both the admin & the front-end overrides.
Thank you @saraheagle,

I'm using YOOtheme Pro which I'd consider to be a "reputable template", but I'm still getting these warnings every time I update Joomla. I'm still not sure what to do. I'm checking the differences in the template files but I don't know if or what I should do about them. Yootheme tells me to ignore them (I pasted their reply to me a bit further up this page).
Would you say they are right that I should ignore the warnings then?

saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by saraheagle » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:20 am

Yes :)

If you do not do any of your own template overrides for the admin or the front-end you can disable the plugin so you don't worry about it.

Obviously check your website after updates to make sure all of your layouts are working correctly.

formfranska
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by formfranska » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:17 am

saraheagle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:20 am
Yes :)

If you do not do any of your own template overrides for the admin or the front-end you can disable the plugin so you don't worry about it.

Obviously check your website after updates to make sure all of your layouts are working correctly.
Super! Thank you 👍🏽😊🙏🏽

saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by saraheagle » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:01 am

My pleasure :D

Jaydot
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Jaydot » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:37 am

I was following this topic, because I have made an override myself, and initially I didn't see how to use the "overrides to check" feature properly...
Then I watched the video Brian linked to again.

And now I think it's a rather brilliant feature :).

Though I can see it could be very confusing for someone who hasn't made any overrides herself...
The fact that an opinion is widely held is no evidence whatsoever that it is not utterly absurd.
Personal website: https://jaydot.nl

saraheagle
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by saraheagle » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:41 am

And now I think it's a rather brilliant feature
Me too!
Though I can see it could be very confusing for someone who hasn't made any overrides herself...
I would def. unpublish this plugin for my all customers

JasnaSontag
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JasnaSontag » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:49 am

I had 31 overrides after updated to 4.1 and clicked all, uf, one by one :-D

Why can't check all and check them with one click?

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:47 am

@saraheagle - I read this entire thread, but where you continue to state that the overrides alert is for templates that are not Cassiopeia, I disagree.

When I initially began using J4, then had the first update, I saw the overrides notice was read with 4 files to check. I reviewed them marked each as reviewed, and the alert was gone.

2 days ago, without any Joomla updates (updates for other software), I saw the notification blaring read...with 4 files to review.
I checked (now 6 times) and all files that have changes have been marked as "Checked".
I also have a "copy" of Cassiopeia which I have been using as my foundation template, then I've used CSS to make it "my own".

All templates show "Up to date" in green. All updated files have been marked "Checked".
Yet, I still cannot get rid of the blaring read alert that there are 4 Overrides that need to be checked.

So what am I doing wrong?
I have only Cassiopeia installed. Virtuemart has 2 it installs, but they have also been marked as up to date.

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Fri May 13, 2022 7:19 am

I don't understand how to manage "Override(s) to check!"

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri May 13, 2022 3:04 pm

Go to your template: Admin > System > Site Templates > "template name" > Updated Files
Review each file (if you wish), then click on the greyed out "X" under the column "Checked" so that you then see a green checkmark.
Do that to all the updated files and that's it.
Return to "Home Dashboard" and you should see a green "Overrides are up to date".

Beata
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Beata » Fri May 13, 2022 6:20 pm

Thank you, LTCreations01,
It helped
At first I didn’t understand how to click on the greyed out "X" when it isn't alive :-)

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Glad to help.

KEComm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KEComm » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:00 am

All templates show "Up to date" in green. All updated files have been marked "Checked".
Yet, I still cannot get rid of the blaring read alert that there are Overrides that need to be checked.
I still encounter the same thing. I use Helix Ultimate, but both templates (Cassiopeia and Helix) report:
Overridden files are up to date. Nothing has been changed in the last extension or Joomla update.

Still the dashboard reports 23 overrides to check.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:51 pm

KEComm - do you have Virtuemart installed?
I found that Virtuemart is the culprit in one of my projects and I'm going to simply remove Virtuemart. As much as that bothers me because I've always thought highly of Virtuemart, it's been 2 month since I've posted asking about the overrides indicating need to be checked and everything has been reviewed in admin and there has been no response.
I have a second post about additional errors and problems, and have not had a response on that post either.
I do know Virtuemart has had a lot of problems getting all their software to work seamlessly in Joomla 4.

I also know that Helix "was" a problem in Joomla 4. I tried Helix in January of this year and I had problems, then was told by Brian that Helix is not a good fit with Joomla 4. So I removed it and have had no problems since.

If you know how to make changes in the database, you can change the override indicator to green. Make sure you know that in admin the overrides "have" indeed been checked and show green.
Additional information about making changes in the database would be a different topic.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:09 am

I get this message because of an old 3.10 template that has ben removed. So even is the template is uninstalled the message remains.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:54 pm

TomT - I'm betting that there are tables left in the database from the template you removed because it didn't remove everything. The only way to check is to go into the database to find tables related to that template you uninstalled and delete those tables. But if you are not comfortable in the database, it's just something you'll have to live with.

bobdobelina
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bobdobelina » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks to the video above I now understand this. Basically, if you use Joomla as I do, and don't create any overrides, then you can mark everything as checked because they are just created by an upgrade. If you create your own overrides, check for any changes in the new file.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:56 pm

bobdobelina - Yes. That's the basics of clearing the overrides. But when everything has been checked, Virtuemart still has overrides indicated. The only way to clear them is to go through the database. I don't know if there are any other extensions that have this issue.

Advertisement

Return to “Administration Joomla! 4.x”