New article notifications - a suggestion

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 4.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
GillianBPP
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

New article notifications - a suggestion

Post by GillianBPP » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:44 pm

I has just occurred to me that it might be a good idea/useful to allow new article notifications to be sent to specific users. I, as developer, don't want to see every article my client's authors create, but their supervisor/manager might. For example, if several users were set up as type Author and one as type Publisher, then the Publisher would get the notifications, not the SuperUser. Does anyone else agree? If so, I'll put it as a feature request.

I realise that the new Workflow system might have this feature - although I couldn't see anything about notifications, except for an article in 'transition' statge - but for an organisation with just three or four people adding articles under one supervisor, Workflow seems somewhat like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

herb200mph
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: New article notifications - a suggestion

Post by herb200mph » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:52 pm

That would be a nice feature. We have exhaustedly tested Workflows and have yet to get any instance of it to "send" email messages to anyone designated to receive them in the Workflow scheme. We have an inkling that "internal messages" may be conflicting with the emails, but have not experimented to check that out. At some point, Workflows may get updated to working better. Our next test, when time permits, is to use an external email configuration vs. the normal built-in PHP function.

Of course, you know this should be posted in the "Issues Tracker" under the Developer Resources link. Maybe one of the great code guys can look at it. They are usually very good about sorting out these kinds of issues and either putting it on the list if action is needed.
Author: Joomla! 5: Boots on the Ground, Volume 1 @ Amazon.com
Author: Joomla! 4: BASIC TRAINING - Boots on the Ground @ Amazon.com
Joomla! Magazine - https://magazine.joomla.org/all-issues/ ... c-training

GillianBPP
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: New article notifications - a suggestion

Post by GillianBPP » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:55 am

herb200mph wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:52 pm
Of course, you know this should be posted in the "Issues Tracker" under the Developer Resources link. Maybe one of the great code guys can look at it. They are usually very good about sorting out these kinds of issues and either putting it on the list if action is needed.
Yes, I have done that many times in the past, but I thought I'd air the idea, first. I haven't used Workflows at all, yet - there aren't enough people involved in each of my clients' sites (two users max) to make it worthwhile.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 4.x”