Upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3

Post by kimhuff » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:19 am

I have a dev site that I have installed Joomla 4 so I can play with it and get used to it. I installed Joomla 4 using Softaculous. When I tried to update to 4.0.2 I kept getting the message.
Sorry, there was a problem we could not recover from. The server returned a "500 - Whoops, looks like something went wrong."
I downloaded the the updated and was able to update to 4.0.2 manually.

Now that 4.0.3 is out, I figured I would try the update again through Joomla, but I received the same error. I haven't tried it manually, but I am guessing that will probably work. I did check my error log and found the following:
[16-Sep-2021 01:17:04 UTC] PHP Warning: get_headers(): https:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/domain/public_html/administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/src/Model/UpdateModel.php on line 364

[16-Sep-2021 01:17:04 UTC] PHP Warning: get_headers(): This function may only be used against URLs in /home/domain/public_html/administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/src/Model/UpdateModel.php on line 364

[16-Sep-2021 01:17:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11837440 bytes) in /home/domain/public_html/libraries/vendor/laminas/laminas-diactoros/src/Stream.php on line 246

[16-Sep-2021 05:06:39 UTC] PHP Warning: get_headers(): https:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/domain/public_html/administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/src/Model/UpdateModel.php on line 364

[16-Sep-2021 05:06:39 UTC] PHP Warning: get_headers(): This function may only be used against URLs in /home/domain/public_html/administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/src/Model/UpdateModel.php on line 364

[16-Sep-2021 05:06:42 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11837440 bytes) in /home/domain/public_html/libraries/vendor/laminas/laminas-diactoros/src/Stream.php on line 246
I recorded a video of my screen as I attempted the update. You can see the video by clicking on the link below.

https://www.finalfrontier-dev4.com/imag ... to-4.3.mp4

The only thing I can think of as a possible problem was with the pre-update check. If you looked at the video, you'll see I have a warning under "Recommended Settings." It says that "intl Available" should be set to ON, but mine is set to OFF. I am not sure what this is or how I should go about changing it, so I thought I would check the Forums first. I didn't see anything for "intl Available," but I couldn't find anything else.

Does anyone know why I am unable to update Joomla 4.0.2 to 4.0.3 the normal way?

*** EDIT ***

I just tried to update using the Joomla_4.0.2_to_4.0.3-Stable-Patch_Package.zip file downloaded from Joomla.org and it too did not work so I am truly at a loss now.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3

Post by abernyte » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:21 am

It looks like you have insufficient memory allocated in php.ini (64MB), you will need to increase that or contact your host if you are on shared hosting.
Why did you use Softaculous instead of installing an original Joomla package from https://downloads.joomla.org ? Many people report issues arising from using preinstall packages.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 am

Enable allow_url_fopen on the server.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 am

+2 @abernyte's comment: Softaculous brings with it unpredictable issues.
Regards - A Murray

kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kimhuff » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:51 am

abernyte wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:21 am
Why did you use Softaculous instead of installing an original Joomla package from https://downloads.joomla.org ? Many people report issues arising from using preinstall packages.
This is why I mentioned the Softaculous, although I've never had an issue, I thought I had read it can be cantankerous. The main reason I do it is the speed. The Softaculous process is just so much quicker. Does anyone know what kind of issues happen with using Softaculous?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll try everyone's suggestions, including a clean install and see if this helps at all and message you all back here.

It may take me a dew days with my son still in the hospital, but I will try your suggestions.
Regards,

Kim Huff
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?" ~ Yoda, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

kimhuff
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kimhuff » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:14 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 am
Enable allow_url_fopen on the server.
What does that do? I don't want to open up any other potential issues.
Regards,

Kim Huff

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:24 pm

This is a very technical question. If you search for answers to the question, "Is allow_url_fopen() safe?" the answer is that, when it's enabled, it's a potential security risk. On the other hand, if it's disabled then you can't update Joomla. So it's a lose-lose. :o

I want to update my J! websites; I have this PHP option enabled.

If you would like a detailed, technical answer to your question, go to the J! GitHub website and create a discussion topic there. ;)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:17 pm

allow_url_fopen() is not that dangerious. It has a Brother allow_url_finclude() that you must Keep disabled.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”