Total Newbie / Tale of woe?

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
StrobingFlare
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Total Newbie / Tale of woe?

Post by StrobingFlare » Tue May 10, 2022 5:40 pm

Please advise if this is in the wrong forum area or beyond the scope of the community help.

My background: Reasonably computer literate, but little experience of web design and NO background knowledge of web technology.
I took over the day-to-day running of a pre-existing village community hall website about 3 years ago. I found the Joomla admin/management system very easy to deal with and kept the site up to date and added a few new pages.
I worried that the site was built around Joomla 2.5.28 and that support had ended long before - but it kept working and it seemed ample for our simple needs.

Current Situation: Suddenly in the last few days, our site is showing just the banner image on the homepage and a message "You are not authorised to view this resource."
The Joomla admin page shows the menu and article structure, but if I try to open any item, I get "You are not permitted to use that link to directly access that page".

I contacted our hosting service tech support and they suggest it will be a PHP version issue and to upgrade and rebuild.

My "starter for ten" question then (before I begin the long learning curve of actually learning how to do it) is:
Will there be any way to rescue anything of the old site, or will it require be-building from scratch?
Or is there anything else I can do?

Any advice in very simple layman's terms that I can pass onto the commitee would be appreciated. Once I know what is possible, I can decide whether it is a job I'm able to tackle.
Thank you!

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Total Newbie / Tale of woe?

Post by gws » Tue May 10, 2022 6:33 pm

Firstly your problems are very likely the php version has been updated on your server and J 2.5.x will not work with it.
Migrating / updating from J2.5 to J 4.2 will be a real piece of work.
Personally if the site was not too large I would start a new site with the latest J4 and cut and paste.
There are extensions that will migrate sites from J2.5 to J 4 but I have no experience of them.
Others will offer advice on this.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 pm

I second what @gws wrote. I would also add that, if you have no background using the tools of webcraft, resurrecting your defunct J! 2.5 website will be a challenge; migrating (i.e. converting) the site to a later version of J!—whether we're discussing J! 3.x (even as an interim measure) or J! 4.x in the longer term—is technically challenging for complete novices and you may want to consider outsourcing that task to an experienced professional.

If you would like some appraisal of the likely amount of work involved in going forward, it would be a good idea to post the report generated by the Forum Post Assistant [FPA]; see the pink boxed area at the top of this page for a link to this tool and instructions for its use. That's probably one of the first challenges you'll be facing: how to use the FPA. ;)

Good luck. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

StrobingFlare
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by StrobingFlare » Fri May 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Thank you both. As an update, I have spoken to the hosting company's Tech Support and we have established that it is indeed a PHP version issue and we are both amazed it has continued to work for this long!

They have kindly re-installed the old version of PHP for me temporarily, so I can now see the site again, and they have set aside some space with the new version for me to rebuild onto.

But from what you are saying, it would be more of a hassle to attempt migration than it would to rebuild from scratch (as I can now cut and paste from old to new).
Is that still the case? It's a fairly simple site with a home page, a menu to some sub-sections and an image gallery and a simple contact us" page with email links.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat May 14, 2022 7:01 am

A lot depends on the front end template and possible third party extensions, like the image gallery, which will have to be updated or replaced.

As suggested by @sozzled, please post the FPA results by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration can be reviewed.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”