Old search not working

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
stevent
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Old search not working

Post by stevent » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:37 pm

I have migrated my site from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4. With the migration the old search component (and module) is not removed. This will lead you in thinking that you can still use the old search option. You're advised to use smart search.

But smart search doesn't work well for me (not all component builders seem to have a finder plugin. So I went over to GitHub where the Joomla team has a J4 version of the old Search. https://github.com/joomla-extensions/search
There's a very technical and complex instruction to install the search component & plugins. I thought I could just overwrite the old J3 search files with the new files. Alas: even the new files give me an error

Code: Select all

Class 'JEventDispatcher' not found
Any idea what's wrong here? And can someone create an easy install package?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Old search not working

Post by sozzled » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:50 pm

“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

stevent
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by stevent » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:42 pm

Yes, I know the old search is still there when you've migrate from J3 (or installed to a J4 release candidate).

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the GitHub repository would give you the ability to download a J4 basic search component, since it states: "This set of extensions is going to be supported until Joomla 5.0 is going to be released." This suggests the files are J4 compatible.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:21 pm

There are GitHub repositories created by individual developers and then there's the official repository used by the CMS development team; we shouldn't confuse private GitHub repos with the official one or any claims made by individual people about what may or may not be "supported". I could not say with certainty if the old com_search package will operate (with modifications) with J! 4.x going forward but I would doubt it.

The built-in search facilities that exists in J!—whatever version we may discuss—are bare-boned ways of searching the content in a website. Arguably, more advanced, reliable (or better) techniques for searching website content are to use Google or other internet-based search engine. As more content is added to a website the ability to search that content using the core CMS search facilities becomes less reliable over time and puts a bigger strain on the server used to host it and involves more workload for the site developer to maintain the functionality.

Whether or not the suggestion that any form of the com_search package "is going to be supported until Joomla 5.0 is going to be released" is speculative. I don't believe that it works and we can't be assured that future releases of J! 4.x will continue to work with it. Officially, the Search component, plugins and modules were retired before the release of J! 4.0.0; these extensions lingered for a while with releases of J! 4.0 before but even the CMS developers gave up attempts to integrate them with J! 4.0.

As far as I'm concerned, Search is dead for J! 4.x. If someone wants to make it work then that's their business but I don't think there's much appetite for it. In conclusion, if people want to use Search instead of Smart Search they should stay with J! 3.x. If people have migrated to J! 4.x then one of the consequences in doing that is to forget about Search and accept that it won't work with the new version(s); if you can modify Search so that it does work, more kudos to you than the CMS development team and I wish you the best of luck if you succeed. 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”