Update from J3.10 that lost php 7.4 to J4

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Jadmain22
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Update from J3.10 that lost php 7.4 to J4

Post by Jadmain22 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Hi
My Joomla site ver. 3.10 has updated php to ver. 8 and deleted ver 7.4 which J3.10 runs fine on.
Is there any way to update J3.10, which now does not work because php 7.4 has been removed, to Joomla 4, for example by uploading and overwriting files?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Update from J3.10 that lost php 7.4 to J4

Post by sozzled » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Interesting question and I don't have a perfect solution for you. It's theoretically possible for at J! 3.x website to work with PHP 8.0 but it depends on whether you have extensions installed that are not ready for PHP 8.

It's also poor form that your webhosting provider updated their service to use PHP 8 without informing you beforehand. Under those circumstances it may be better to search for another webhosting provider who still offers PHP 7.x variants (e.g. PHP 7.4). If you could transfer your website to another webhosting service that allows your website to continue to function it would buy you some time to consider how to migrate it to J! 4.x ... or even whether you want to migrate it to J! 4.x.

One of your options might be to use a PC-hosted web service (e.g. Wampserver), transfer your site to that and attempt to migrate it to J! 4.x. However, for the time being, your website is dead in the water and there's not much you can do except to ask your webhosting provider to offer you the means to use PHP 7.4 while you consider your future options. Alternatively, cut your losses, create a new J! 4.x website and start over. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Update from J3.10 that lost php 7.4 to J4

Post by AMurray » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:29 pm

sozzled wrote:It's also poor form that your webhosting provider updated their service to use PHP 8 without informing you beforehand. Under those circumstances it may be better to search for another webhosting provider who still offers PHP 7.x variants (e.g. PHP 7.4).
Agreed - my host told me many months ago about 7.4's EOL, while I was aware of it anyway but it was good to know they are proactive in their communications to customers.

The question is, (to the OP) is your host offering PHP 8.0.x and 8.1+ or just 8.1 and above?

If not heading to Joomla 4.x just yet, additional testing could be done on a local test copy e.g. Jooma 3.10 and testing your current extensions; update them as necessary or seek alternatives if that is what is needed.

It would be interesting to know what is causing this breakdown of your site. Can you post the FPA report, that will tell us what extensions are installed, so we can help identify any that you need to update, or could confirm their workability on PHP 8.x or not.
Regards - A Murray

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”