Update from 3 to 4 went wrong - Mea culpa

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
temuco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Update from 3 to 4 went wrong - Mea culpa

Post by temuco » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:48 pm

I hadn't done a Joomla upgrade from 3 to 4 for a long time. Today I was so sure that this one would not cause any problems, as I was able to do others successfully last year - yes, so sure...

Now I did an Akeeba backup and updated a plug-in. Then I started the installation. However, it stopped shortly after 90% after an Ajaax error was reported. Of course I didn't remember the error message! What a brain!!!

I don't remember which version of three I had installed before, but it was displayed as the latest version. However, I do remember that there was an intermediate triple version that I knowingly didn't install in this case - so let's assume that I didn't install it.

I'd like to do a restore, but it's not possible via the backend, as the broken Joomla lists all the menus at the top, obscuring much of the backend. If I make the font extremely large, I can navigate to the individual menu items in the backend, but I only get error messages such as:

Code: Select all

An error has occurred!
0 Call to undefined method InstallerHelper::getExtensionGroupes()
or

Code: Select all

An error has occurred!
500 Table 'd028f607.jomkas_workflow_associations' doesn't exist
What options (if any) do I have to restore the old version from the last Akeeba backup?

Thank you and best regards

René

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Update from 3 to 4 went wrong - Mea culpa

Post by gsmela » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:55 pm

First, make sure you have a copy of the Akeeba jpa backup file and kickstart from Akeeba.

Delete all the files in the root web folder and drop all the tables in the database. You need to make a clean start.

Copy the jpa file of your good backup into the root along with kickstart.php from Akeeba. Then run kickstart at www.[yourdomain.com]/kickstart.php to restore.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:50 pm

Mod. Note: Relocated the topic from Installation to the Upgrade J4 forum.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:02 pm

I think you might want to reach out for professional services for assistance if the procedure with Akeeba etc is beyond your scope of expertise

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”