Can i delete old zip upgrade files in tmp folder

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
websmith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can i delete old zip upgrade files in tmp folder

Post by websmith » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you can give me some feedback and direction. I have a joomla/virtuemart site, that has had many upgrades over the years. Current versions are joomla 3.10.12 and VM 3.6.10

Ive been trying to migrate to joomla 4 but had a bunch of issues. One thing that Id like to address is the size of the site when backing up or restoring. Full backup was just over 800mg. My host will only allow backup and restore service below 500mb. Are joomla/VM that much in size? The site really isn't that big at all.

I noticed there were install files in tmp folder. zip files going back to joomla 3.4. Can these be deleted? If so, do i delete just the zip files or everything in tmp? There's also install folders and com_csvi. I'm trying to remove any unnecessary files/folders to get the site below 500mb. It would be much faster downloading and or restoring through host then ftp. Literally took hours doing backups and restores over the last few days.

Thank your for any help in the matter.

cmbay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Can i delete old zip upgrade files in tmp folder

Post by cmbay » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:49 pm

websmith wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm
One thing that Id like to address is the size of the site when backing up or restoring.
First, install the Akeeba Backup extension. It's the first thing I install on every Joomla site I work on. I only trust Akeeba for my backups.
I noticed there were install files in tmp folder. zip files going back to joomla 3.4. Can these be deleted?
Yes, remove everything in the /tmp folder except the index.html file.
Charles

websmith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by websmith » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Thank you cmbay for the quick reply. I have akeeba installed, but in the case I had over the last couple days trying to migrate to 4.xxx, the did not have access to akeeba in backend. Everything was errors. So I need another quick backup/restore source for instances like that.
cmbay wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:49 pm
websmith wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm
One thing that Id like to address is the size of the site when backing up or restoring.
First, install the Akeeba Backup extension. It's the first thing I install on every Joomla site I work on. I only trust Akeeba for my backups.
I noticed there were install files in tmp folder. zip files going back to joomla 3.4. Can these be deleted?
Yes, remove everything in the /tmp folder except the index.html file.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:13 pm

How did you back up the site before migrating, as it reminds you 2 or 3 times before progressing the migration and requires you to declare "I have made a backup!" before you click the final "Upgrade" button.

Did you have the latest available VirtueMart (4.2.0 August 2023) installed along with any other relevant extensions to be updated (or perhaps disabled for the migration)?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

websmith
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by websmith » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:32 am

I made backups using ftp which took an incredibly long time. I since deleted the zip files in the tmp folder and now the site is just over 500mb in size. It still takes a while to backup. Is this typical of a joomla/virtuemart setup?
I did not have the latest VM. My understanding as of today is that you need to buy membership to VM for updates past 3.8 I will work on that over the weekend and try the migration again.

One other issue I need to address is updating the recaptcha, since it was outdated and no longer working. I believe Google enterprise is the latest version, but there's some confusion on how to add the coding to the site page. Would you have any insight or direction for that?
AMurray wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:13 pm
How did you back up the site before migrating, as it reminds you 2 or 3 times before progressing the migration and requires you to declare "I have made a backup!" before you click the final "Upgrade" button.

Did you have the latest available VirtueMart (4.2.0 August 2023) installed along with any other relevant extensions to be updated (or perhaps disabled for the migration)?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:17 am

websmith wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:32 am
I made backups using ftp
What about the database? The database needs to be backed up, too. As you know, Akeeba Backup would have backed up both the filesystem and the database.

websmith wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:32 am
It still takes a while to backup. Is this typical of a joomla/virtuemart setup?
That depends on where the backup file is getting transferred and how. The FTP protocol may have low priority in the egress firewall of your host. Uploading the backup file to one of the cloud services like Amazon AWS, Google or MS Azure might be faster.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”