Help! Recover from a failed 4.x Update

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
valw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Help! Recover from a failed 4.x Update

Post by valw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 pm

This morning I was using Joomla 3.10.x
I saw that there was a 4.03 release, so I tried to update by downloading the Joomla! 4.0.3 Upgrade Package (.zip). I placed the path to the downloaded .zip file into the Joomla Update, and selected "Update".

I received the following error, "Sorry, there was a problem we could not recover from.
The server returned a "500 - Whoops, looks like something went wrong."

I just discovered our website is down on the frontend as well, no body can access our site currently.

I now can't access the admin account. Can anyone point me to a potential resolution?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Help! Recover from a failed 4.x Update

Post by toivo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 pm

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

Restore the backup of the website made before the attempted update to 4.0.3. If the backup was made using Akeeba Backup, upload the .jpa file into a clean Joomla folder and use the Kickstart utility.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 pm

I agree with @toivo: the simplest remedy is to DROP all the tables from the database and delete all the files from the [failed] J.4 website and restore the filesystem and the database tables from the backup that you made before you updated. If you don't have a backup copy of the files and database tables then you will have problems and recovery may not be possible.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:32 pm

Yes, recover from the backup that Joomla so politely reminds you (several times) to do before any updates are made.

Did you follow this procedure: https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_3.x_to_4 ... _Migration ? If you had done, the update advisor would have told you of any potential problems that would need to be fixed before the migration.

I don't know what would be causing the error 500. The server logs would reveal more information.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

valw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by valw » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:57 am

Thank you gentlemen, it looks like I have no other choice- Restore to a back-up. My problem is once accomplished, how do I install the updated version, without enjoying the same result again?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:54 pm

First restore the site. Then check the restored site works. Then ask your question.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”