Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with virustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Discussion regarding Joomla! 4.x security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
skyfranky
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with virustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Post by skyfranky » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am

HI

I downloaded the extension from official website, and virustotal.com shows something not normal. I want to know if this is safe to use this extension.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toivo on Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: typo in subject

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with vitustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Post by toivo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:07 am

That extension appears to be a Release Candidate (RC) of the J2Store shopping cart.

Do you mean you downloaded it, starting from the download link of the JED entry?

Did you install the extension in a test environment?

Download some other Joomla extension and compare what VirusTotal displays about the files and processes.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

skyfranky
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with vitustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Post by skyfranky » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 am

yes, I downloaded it and installed on the live server's testing site folder.
I uploaded 2 other joomla extensions to virusTotal, and one has not such issue. another one (easyblog) has the same thing shown.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with virustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Post by toivo » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:26 am

Sometimes server-based antivirus products can produce false positives, if their rules are too restrictive about URLs that Joomla generates. I am sure, if the paid EasyBlog had a security issue, it would appear in the list of Vulnerable Extensions. Of course, always be careful with Beta and Release Candidate versions, to be run in test environments.

Download and install the JED Checker and submit the installation package and see if it reports any anomalies. The JED team uses it to check every extension submitted to JED.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is this joomla extension contained virus? detected with virustotal: detect-debug-environment sets-process-name

Post by leolam » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:00 pm

As Toivo mentioned: False positives. J2Store is safe as is Easyblog. We use both on multiple client sites

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Security in Joomla! 4.x”