Redirect the "wp-" string in Joomla 4 Topic is solved

Discussion regarding Joomla! 4.x security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
maestromasada
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Redirect the "wp-" string in Joomla 4

Post by maestromasada » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 am

Dear fab Joomla community

I have enabled the "Collect URLs" option on the "System Redirect" plug-in in Joomla and surely lots of link entries in the Redirect section keep appearing, most of them contain "wp-" like "webiste-url/wp-" or "website-url/wp-json". What is the best practice to remove those? Is my site actually under attack?

I followed this great post: viewtopic.php?f=714&t=958501 and added these entries on my htaccess file, but it didn't make any difference

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} /wp-
RewriteRule ^ https://www.google.com [L,R]

I really want to have zero redirects pending because apparently that affect the SEO on your site
I also have (with Referring Page from Google) lots of entries ending in .php like c00.php, 404,php,shx.php, ws.php, uploader.php, mailer.php.....how come the referral page is Google?

I would greatly appreciate advise of any kind regarding best practices in Joomla 4 redirect and how to remove these wp- and .php entries

Thank you!!

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Redirect the "wp-" string in Joomla 4

Post by Pavel-ww » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 am

Hi. It makes no sense to fight this. Anyone in the world can place your domain in the browser address bar, add something to it and press Enter. And you will receive this in the Redirect component. You will not be able to foresee all requests in the world that you do not like and protect your site from them.

This component is not intended for how you are trying to use it. It is needed simply to adjust your real URLs of the pages that were deleted by you or you have transferred them. Just delete all other requests so that they do not increase your database size. Otherwise, you will have to write a multi-volume essay in htaccess. So the post you mentioned is more erroneous than the great :)

If you do not make any changes to the URLs of your real pages located in the search engines index, just turn off the URLs collection. Otherwise, the size of your database will constantly grow.

To protect you can use something like RSFirewall component

maestromasada
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by maestromasada » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:11 pm

Thanks so much Pawel! :) Amazing explanation, all clear over here now

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:08 pm