Do I need a plugin or extension just to upload a file?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
artax
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Do I need a plugin or extension just to upload a file?

Post by artax » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Hi everybody,
I am building a site with J4 and I don't understand how come the only thing that seems to be missing is just a way for letting a user to upload a file via the edit profile form...I had a look around and just found either old and outdated plugins or full fledged extensions that are overkill to me...and I am trying to make the most out of joomla without having to rely on 3rd parties...

Do I really need an extension for this?
If I do, any suggestion about a simple and reliable plugin that does just that?

Thanks

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Do I need a plugin or extension just to upload a file?

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 pm

You should be able to do that with Custom Fields. No additional plugin required.

Under Users / Fields in the Joomla Admin, you can add several custom field types, specifically the one you would want to look at are those named "media" fields (there are several). This will allow the user for instance to upload a profile photo or avatar or similar from the Media Manager folders - it also allows the selection of other images from a specific folder you specify.

But it depends on what type of file you want users to upload as to whether Joomla, out of the box, can do what you want. So yes, a plugin may be necessary. Try custom fields first and see if that delivers what you need.
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:03 pm

artax wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm
I am building a site with J4 and I don't understand how come the only thing that seems to be missing is just a way for letting a user to upload a file via the edit profile form.
The short answer to your question is no. The long answer to your question is, no, you don't need "an extension" to let your users upload "a file" when they create new articles for your website. They can drag-and-drop files stored on their PC and the files are uploaded as part of that process.

See also viewtopic.php?f=808&t=990104

Custom fields seems to be out of place in this discussion (unless you use custom fields); I don't know many people who use custom fields, sorry.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm

@sozzled I don't know if I have misread the question or if you have but as I read this:
Hi everybody,
I am building a site with J4 and I don't understand how come the only thing that seems to be missing is just a way for letting a user to upload a file via the edit profile form...
the OP is asking how a user can upload a file to their User Profile. (nothing to do with Articles).

That's the reason I mention Custom fields, as you can add a user custom field to the User Profile page, which lets you upload images (or other media).

Of course users can insert images into articles where they have permission to create such content, but I don't believe that's the point of the OP's question.
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Do I need an extension to upload a file and include it with a user's profile?

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Sorry, Andy, you're right. I apologise and I misread things. The subject is misleading. "Do I need an extension just to upload a file?" (to which the answer is no).

"Do I need an extension to upload a file and include it with a user's profile?" is a different question.

Firstly, there is no space in the user profile for pictures. It's possible, if one wants to go to "the next level" to use custom fields. It's also possible (and probably easier) to use a community extension (e.g. JomSocial EasySocial, Community Builder, Kunena) that may provide ways to add a user's picture to their account.

Out of the box, J! user profiles are quite basic; that's why community extensions like the ones I mentioned above continue to thrive.

There are also other extensions that integrate with these community extensions or directly with Gravatar. However, providing a mechanism to upload a file into a user's profile is not the real question. The real question comes later: how do you display the uploaded file? ???

So, yes (is the short answer) ... you need to do something ...
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:33 pm

I agree, the question is a little ambiguous - but even if it had been about inserting files in articles, that's certainly not a "missing" feature of Joomla.
Regards - A Murray

artax
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by artax » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:58 am

AMurray wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 pm
You should be able to do that with Custom Fields. No additional plugin required.
Under Users / Fields in the Joomla Admin, you can add several custom field types, specifically the one you would want to look at are those named "media" fields (there are several). This will allow the user for instance to upload a profile photo or avatar or similar from the Media Manager folders - it also allows the selection of other images from a specific folder you specify.
Thank you. Yes, I set up many custom fileds for user profile; I found I could make the user upload a file via "media type" custom field, but this involves giving users access to media manager or rather just one folder for each user...not sure how to do it and after all that doesn't seem to be the purpose of media type custom field.
I'd appreciate any info on the topic anyway.

sozzled wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 pm
Sorry, Andy, you're right. I apologise and I misread things. The subject is misleading. "Do I need an extension just to upload a file?" (to which the answer is no).

"Do I need an extension to upload a file and include it with a user's profile?" is a different question.

[...]
Thank you, I tried to edit the title but it doesn't seem possible to me. I'd appreciate if a moderator could do it so to make the post more helpful for others.

sozzled wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 pm
[...]

Out of the box, J! user profiles are quite basic; that's why community extensions like the ones I mentioned above continue to thrive.

There are also other extensions that integrate with these community extensions or directly with Gravatar. However, providing a mechanism to upload a file into a user's profile is not the real question. The real question comes later: how do you display the uploaded file? ???

So, yes (is the short answer) ... you need to do something ...
Yes I think I will consider some extension; however, I didn't need to display the file, I just need the user to be able to upload it and do just that.

Have a good day.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”