Migrate to 4 successfully-enabled plugin-crashed Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Migrate to 4 successfully-enabled plugin-crashed

Post by Nice-site[] » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 pm

I migrated to 4 and I disabled Nextgen plugins before doing so. After completion i turned on the one plugin which caused a fatal error. I followed the steps listed and turned of plugins in phpmyadmin. I am still receiving the error. Attempted to call an undefined method named "isSite" of class "Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication". Advice please.
Last edited by toivo on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 4.x General Questions

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Migrate to 4 successfully-enabled plugin-crashed

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Nice-site[] wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 pm
I followed the steps listed and turned of plugins in phpmyadmin.
What "steps" did you follow? If you followed a guide, what was the URL of that guide, please.

NextGen Editor has been de-listed in the JED.

You can find general information about isSite() problems with J! 4.x at viewtopic.php?f=812&t=988201
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nice-site[] » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 pm

.replied above
Last edited by Nice-site[] on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nice-site[] » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm
Nice-site[] wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 pm
I followed the steps listed and turned of plugins in phpmyadmin.
What "steps" did you follow? If you followed a guide, what was the URL of that guide, please.

NextGen Editor has been de-listed in the JED.

You can find general information about isSite() problems with J! 4.x at viewtopic.php?f=812&t=988201

https://docs.joomla.org/J4.x:FatalError
First I disabled plugins as explained, as that didn't work I followed the following:

If your Administrator interface is not working, edit the configuration.php file in the root of your site. First set permissions to to make the file writable (666). Then set $debug to true and $error_reporting to 'maximum'. Then Save & Close.
as I'm still getting an undefined method error and can't enter the joomla area I again use phpMyAdmin to find the extension in the xxxxx_extensions database table and set the plugin enable value to 0. You should not need to disable any core Joomla extensions.

error code when site is loaded first line. JROOT/plugins/system/nge_system/nge_system.php:98

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Thanks. I do not completely agree with the "steps" outlined in the article able fatal errors in J! 4.x but that's beside the point. Disabling a plugin by flipping a bit in the database is one workaround; it may get people over the hurdle of being able to login to a website. It's not a fix.

One fix is to uninstall the plugin—because it just plain doesn't work—and/or the component that installed this plugin in the first place. Another fix is to re-code the offending plugin to use the standard that came into effect five years ago. The NextGen component (and any plugins it installoed) is not a core part of J!; it is an optional third-party product.

Therefore, when someone writes "you should not need to disable any core Joomla extensions", it's important to understand the difference between those parts written by the J! developers and those parts written by third-parties. 8)

If you must use NextGen with J! then you can either go back to using J! 3.x or ask the developers of that extension if they have any plans to make it work with J! 4.x.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”

Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nice-site[] » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:25 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 pm
Thanks. I do not completely agree with the "steps" outlined in the article able fatal errors in J! 4.x but that's beside the point. Disabling a plugin by flipping a bit in the database is one workaround; it may get people over the hurdle of being able to login to a website. It's not a fix.

One fix is to uninstall the plugin—because it just plain doesn't work—and/or the component that installed this plugin in the first place. Another fix is to re-code the offending plugin to use the standard that came into effect five years ago. The NextGen component (and any plugins it installoed) is not a core part of J!; it is an optional third-party product.

Therefore, when someone writes "you should not need to disable any core Joomla extensions", it's important to understand the difference between those parts written by the J! developers and those parts written by third-parties. 8)

If you must use NextGen with J! then you can either go back to using J! 3.x or ask the developers of that extension if they have any plans to make it work with J! 4.x.

I don't. I knew they were out of date. I switched my site over to ck and a new template (gantry) both 4 and bootstrap 5 compatible. I can delete NGE or whatever once I can get back into joomla. I just need to be able to get back into the joomla inter-face

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 pm

Have you enabled J! debug mode and set the error reporting level to "maximum"? Have you looked at the entries in the file error_log? The error log file should tell you the source of the problem, why you cannot login to your website.

Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nice-site[] » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 pm
Have you enabled J! debug mode and set the error reporting level to "maximum"? Have you looked at the entries in the file error_log? The error log file should tell you the source of the problem, why you cannot login to your website.
Thanks again for all your time. When I attempt to log in as admin I get:
Attempted to call an undefined method named "isSite" of class "Joomla\CMS\Application\AdministratorApplication".
/plugins/system/nge_system/nge_system.php (line 20)
I can only access hpanel and files, etc. At the host level.. This is the issue, the plug-ins apparently are still enabled though being set off in phpmyadmin.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:42 pm

Nice-site[] wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:34 pm
/plugins/system/nge_system/nge_system.php (line 20)
Rename the folder plugins/system/nge_system and you will then be able to login.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:43 pm

OK, here's the easy solution that should allow you to login to your website:

Using FTP or your host's File Manager, locate the folder ../plugins/system/nge_system and rename the file nge_system.php to nge_system.php-old. You should then be able to login and uninstall all the "NGE" stuff. ;)

@toivo posted his reply a few seconds before I did. :)

Nice-site[]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nice-site[] » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:25 am

sozzled wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:43 pm
OK, here's the easy solution that should allow you to login to your website:

Using FTP or your host's File Manager, locate the folder ../plugins/system/nge_system and rename the file nge_system.php to nge_system.php-old. You should then be able to login and uninstall all the "NGE" stuff. ;)

@toivo posted his reply a few seconds before I did. :)
First, thank you very much.
Two, worked perfectly, you are brilliant. Feel free to let that go to your head.
Three, I am the glad owner of an updated site which needs a little work and a few, ahem, deletions!
Have a great day, you made mine!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”