No Akeeba Backup for J4 - Seeking alternative

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
what2use
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

No Akeeba Backup for J4 - Seeking alternative

Post by what2use » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm

I used to use the Akeeba Free Core on all the sites I manage. But while looking over upgrading them to Joomla 4 I noticed that the Abeeka Backup on Update module is no longer available for free. You now have to pay $50 a year!!!

I like the option for abeeba to do a full backup and a complete restore if necessary.

I maintain sites for local non-profits and I don't even make that much a year to manage their sites.

Are their similar products available for free or more affordable?
Last edited by imanickam on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x to Extensions for Joomla! 4.x

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: No Akeeba Backup for J4 - Seeking alternative

Post by ceford » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:34 pm

Most hosting services have built in backup mechanisms. And many keep their own backups from 1 to n times per day. It depends what you need to backup and how much space you have.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 pm

Akeeba Backup for Joomla! 4 is free of charge. The current version of Akeeba Backup that is certified to work with Joomla! 4 is v9.3.0. If you want to setup automatic backups then you have to use a Pro version. If you are doing a manual backup then it is free.

Also, the site backup restoring script kicakstart.php from Akeeba is also free.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
ex-Joomla! Translations Coordination Team
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

JasnaSontag
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JasnaSontag » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:48 pm

what2use wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:22 pm
I used to use the Akeeba Free Core on all the sites I manage. But while looking over upgrading them to Joomla 4 I noticed that the Abeeka Backup on Update module is no longer available for free. You now have to pay $50 a year!!!
Are you sure? I use Akeeba in J4 and it is free.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 pm

“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

what2use
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by what2use » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 am

Sorry if I was not clear. I was able to download the free version of akeeba backup for joomla 4.
But the backup on update is no longer part of it. The developer became extremely rude after I asked why.
They refused to answer that question and said I would have to pay over $50 a year

When I told him that I didn't make any money managing the sites for the local non-profits he got even more belligerent and basically told me to go to......

That is why I am looking at other options

frostmakk
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by frostmakk » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:33 am

The most obvious option is to do a backup before you update.
Don't let a few extra mouse clicks scare you away from a very good and free product. You can't possibly be that lazy.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 am

It makes you wonder, doesn't it, that there are several warnings shown on the update screen about backing up a website ...
beforeYouUpdate-dialog.png
... it's not exactly "oops, I forgot to do a backup." However, I understand the OP's complaint about assuming that a backup would be performed automagically.

The old adage "Assume makes an ASS out of U and ME", eh?

Aside from that, I've never known Nick to be rude to people. Sure, he's likely to use some coarse, direct language that may be confronting to people but, hey, if you want all the whizz-bangery then you may have to pay something for the extra features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”