Looking for a kind of task system

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Looking for a kind of task system

Post by spottedhaggis » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:18 pm

This is going to be a bit hard to explain so ill walk through the process which hopefully will expain what I am looking for.

a group is created, call it Smith family
Parents are in the group as primary users
Kids are in the group as sub users managed by parents.
Parents can create tasks/chores for kids to do, each task/chore has a time limit, needs to be done daily, or weekly.
Each task when completed by the child is checked off, and any photographic evidence is provided along with it in the form of an upload field
Parents can go in daily, weekly etc and confirm the task has been done with a second check box, this closes the tasak/chore.
Each task/chore has a monetary value placed with it, so upon completion of the task the value is added to a running total for each child.
Each child can only see his or her tasks.
PArents can see all kids tasks
At the end of a set period (week for example) the task list is ended, totals calculated by the system and a simple report is created that states what tasks were and were not done by each child, and their monetary total.

There are a few other things to add in but this is it in its simple state.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about doing this in Jooml? I tried looking at Sebol, and several others similar, all of which say you can do anything with them but none of them offer any real quick start on this.

Alternatively any developers that can do this on the cheap please let me know :-)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Looking for a kind of task system

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:53 pm

G'day,

Setting the specific purpose of your idea to one side for the present—the idea of parents using a website to manage their children's activity sends shivers through my spine—there are probably "gig economy" applications available to manage parcels of work and calculate any payment owing for performing such work. Think, in this situation, of engaging someone to deliver pizzas or do a leaflet drop around the neighbourhood.

I'm not dismissing the idea out-of-hand but consider how everyday "gig economy" entrepreneurs and business owners undertake these management activities. I don't have any first-hand experience of managing a team of people to deliver brochures into letterboxes or perform other work but, if I had a list of things I wanted done around the house and I wanted to supervise someone (or several "someones") to carry out the list of chores, I'd probably do it with pen and paper. If I wanted to get all high-falutin' technical, I might even do it with MS Excel.

I sincerely hope that there are not excessive everyday pressures on households that prevent parents being able to manage simple parenting activities and they need technology. Goodness gracious, human-kind has been on this planet for a hundred thousand years or more and I doubt that they needed strings of beads or sea-shells to count off whether the kids had swept the cave floor. :laugh:

Aside from the potential privacy problems involved in having parents expose their families to strangers (and the possible fall-out that could occur if such information fell into the wrong hands), maintaining an online presence 24 x 7 has other difficulties. What if, for example, someone wanted to enter information and the website was temporarily unavailable? What if, for some reason, there was an error in the calculation of the benefit owing? Also, how do you accommodate the payment; are we talking about payment in US dollars or payment in "treats" (e.g. ice-cream, movie tickets, etc.) or payment in "tokens"?

I don't know the solution here and I don't know what extensions may exist in the Joomla Extensions Directory that could be adapted to suit your purposes. Good luck. I hope I've given you some food for thought. 8)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:23 pm

For Joomla developing a specific extension might be possible eg. with Fabrik where you can build forms, submit data and extract reports and that sort of thing. I suppose it would be possible to include uploading files (photographs).

The Joomla (front-end) access could be done e.g. categories in Joomla by the name of each child, and assigning the particular tasks to that category/child.

[and the off-topic bit]
If you intend on collecting photos of the completed jobs, then you could possibly achieve this with a phone app "task list" or "To Do" list or similar. I don't know about the assigning of duties or collection of photos but I'm sure Google or Apple app stores might have something suitable.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 pm

@AMurray ... except that Fabrik has been de-listed from the JED. See also viewtopic.php?t=993781.

Re-living some of my childhood memories, when I had some goal to achieve I had a page in an exercise book that my father would initial when I'd performed some task. The "reward" was seeing the page filled with his initials. I'm not going to offer cookie-cutter platitudes about parenting, such as "virtue is its own reward", but TBH, in the workplace when the survival of the team required team members to work together I doubt that team leaders micro-manage each subordinate's performance by checking things off a list. When the "survival" of the team requires co-operation, when a person's non-performance disrupts the harmony of the team, the team usually arrives at a consensus that works best for that team.

Obviously, in a work environment, if team members don't work co-operatively with others there's a "cost" or a penalty involved: non-performers are eventually removed from the team. That's not what happens, of course, within the family. Within the family, parents teach their children what it means to "work" co-operatively (so that they're prepared for the real world) and [good] parents continually provide their support when their children stumble. But we're not here to discuss role models.

It's possible that some form builder—not Fabrik but something else—might work. ???

See also "Task management" extensions in the JED: https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/proj ... anagement/

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:41 am

The new Fabrik for J4 is very good. The old one was de listed from the JED for a pdf licensing issue, no bearing on the security or functionality.

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:41 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, just to point out something. This is not about parenting issues, this is far to complex a subject to put into a few words, but lets just say its not to help parents parent, its to help parents where the children have behavioural issues not related per say to their parenting skill. Contrary to what we all believe (me included) not all kids issues are caused by the parents themselves, some are issues they are born with, dissabilities, mental weaknesses, peer pressure, school, other family situations, these all play a part in a childs behaviour.

This idea is to help kids learn to be a little more independant, disciplined, the rewards are small and to a point insignificant. This idea has been tested on paper and the kids in question behaviour improved ten fold because they need the stimulation, challenges etc.

I want to take it to the next level, and do it all online, there are reasons that I cant go into as to why but it just makes more sense.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:54 am

http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

guest20230913
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guest20230913 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:50 am

spottedhaggis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:18 pm
Alternatively any developers that can do this on the cheap please let me know :-)
Hi. Your SOW (Statement of Work) is very easy and inexpensive to solve with Ruby on Rails, in my subjective opinion it is an optimal solution and a child's task for students. Ready to work site can be deployed to Heroku without any problems. Perhaps you should pay attention to this framework.

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:02 am

I am interested in the Ruby side but I am on shared hosting and installing any of the available CMS for Ruby looks far more complexed than most others. I have looked at a few this morning and all those on the best list seem to require a far more complex installation process than many others, unless you have a suggestion :-)

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:25 am

spottedhaggis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:18 pm
Does anyone have any idea how I can go about doing this in Jooml? I tried looking at Sebol, and several others similar, all of which say you can do anything with them but none of them offer any real quick start on this.
Hi.

LMS is suitable for your task. LMS can be created using CCK like Seblod, Cobalt, Fabrik and others. But this requires skills. There are more framework solutions https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... ery%5D=LMS.

I had extensive experience with LMSs in Joomla, using both CCKs and Framework Solutions. And I came to the conclusion that doing this in Joomla is not productive. It is not enough to create a system, an ordinary user as parents in your cases should be able to easily administer it. For this you need a good UX backend. No Joomla extensions give it from the box.

Therefore, the best option is to buy LMS (selfhosted) or buy a subscription for cloud LMS. You can easily find all this in Google. All of them have a good, worked out and friendly backend. Their cost is comparable with the cost of development in Joomla or somewhere else. Or even cheaper than development.

Well, if we generally talk about your idea for parents, as a website, in my opinion it is a dead end. This is the same as square wheels for a car. As a parent, I can say that for this it is better to use a smartphone and mobile apps, like Google Family Link and others. It is much more convenient, productive and free.

It is always worth evaluating the expediency of the project before resolving development issues.

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:42 am

im a little confused, all reference to LMS points me towards educational systems but this is not an educational system, hence I am a bit unsuer if LMS in your description is the same as the google one? Can you give an example of the sort ofLMS your talking about (so far all I found that i have seen is Moodle or similar)

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:05 pm

I would ahve liked to give Fabrik a shot but its not availabel on the extensions portal, and I cant seem to get my registration on their website to actually send me the confirmation email, tried 3 differnet mailboxes, none work, so clearly they have something wrong on their website.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:14 am

spottedhaggis wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:42 am
im a little confused, all reference to LMS points me towards educational systems but this is not an educational system
Hi.

LMS has the opportunity to create tasks, step-by-step tasks, control their execution by the teacher, give prizes or awards, or other methods of incentives.

Discard stereotypes like "educational systems". The essence of the LMS functionality is tasks and their implementation. You can rename the "course" to the "tasks for day", the teacher to the parent, student to the child and so on. Choose LMS in accordance with your tasks by studying its documentation.

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:27 am

actually that does sound right up their for what I want. Ill investigate it now, thanks for the info

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”