Akeeba Backup for Joomla!™ 9.0.5: no Backup on Update plugin Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sozzled
I've been banned!

Akeeba Backup for Joomla!™ 9.0.5: no Backup on Update plugin

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:27 pm

First of all, I will thank Nick Dionysopoulos and his team for all the days of my life.

Secondly, what I am about to write is not a complaint or a criticism of Akeeba Backup for Joomla!™ 9.0.5. It's just an observation.

For most of you who, like me, rely on Akeeba Backup [AB] to take the worry out of the did-I-backup-my-website-before-I-updated-the-CMS-software question, the AB package (the one developed for J! 3.x) includes a wonderful plugin called Backup on Update. This plugin (like the rest of the tools in the AB package) relies on FOF30 being installed. Without getting into too much technical detail, if you have installed the AB package designed for J! 3.x on your J! 4.0 website, you'll probably not notice any differences (apart from a "gentle" message, when you go to the AB control panel, to download and install AB v9 ;) ). AB 8.0.10 works with J! 4.0.2; so, too, does the Backup on Update plugin.

There is one singularly striking difference between AB 9 and AB 8: AB 9 does not include the Backup on Update plugin. That plugin automatically ran the AB backup process before the Joomla! Update process begins; it's just one less thing to remember when you run Joomla! Update. Did I backup my website before I updated the CMS?

So, as I say in conclusion, while I'm not complaining that the automated backup process is not run in AB 9—like it does in AB 8—when you use Joomla! Update, it's just something I thought people should know in advance. Cheers. 8)

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Akeeba Backup for Joomla!™ 9.0.5: no Backup on Update plugin

Post by AMurray » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:49 am

And a +2 thanks to Nick and team.

Just to be clear; v 8.0.10 is the version for J3.x/J4.0; v9.0.5 is the J4-only release.

I can't speak for v8.0.10 as I'm using v9.0.5 but are you saying a standard install of 9.0.5 doesn't include the Backup on Update plugin? . The Backup on Update is definitely in the download 'pkg' installer file. Just open the ZIP (or extract it) and you can see the plugin zip file named plg_system_backupuponupdate.zip

My system has not issues with that, the plugin is listed as it should be under Mange > Extensions. That extension is working as it always has.

Maybe the plugin simply needs to be activated? I recall that was the case in earlier released for J3.9 as it is an optional feature.

This is a clean install of 9.0.5 for JOomla 4, not an update from 8.0.10 (my site was also not an update from 3.10 to 4.0 but a clean 4.0 install).

The 9.0.5 user guide mentions Backup on Update (P205) so it's not a missing feature in that version and nothing in the change-log of 9.05. or 8.0.10 suggesting any changes to that function.

T
backup-on-update_plugin_AkeebaBackup_9-0-5.png
Joomla_update_with_disable_backp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:25 am

Thanks for replying. :)

AMurray wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:49 am
Just to be clear; v 8.0.10 is the version for J3.x/J4.0; v9.0.5 is the J4-only release.
That is correct.

If you examine the contents of the download [ZIP] for Akeeba Backup Core 9.0.5, it contains two items: the component and the quickicon plugin. Perhaps the Backup on Update plugin is available in the PRO version? I'm only saying that in the "basic" core version, the plugin doesn't exists.

This is what I see after ripping out v8.0.10 and installing v9.0.5:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:58 am

You hit the nail. I have Pro and just downloaded core 9.0.5 and backup on update is not there as you have confirmed.

It never occurred to me that would be a pro feature....but there it is.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:09 am

Thanks, Andy. I'm relieved that I wasn't imagining things. While it's a nice feature to have (and there are other benefits in using the PRO version), automating the backup process is not a critical function. As long as people remember to "manually" initiate the backup process before committing themselves to updating their software, there should be no dramas.

The reason I created this topic was to just to make people aware of the situation. It's just another one of those differences between how we did things in J! 3 and how we may do things in J! 4.

KuipersT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KuipersT » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:53 am

Thanks Andy. Now I know why I have this problem too. It's a bit strange that a feature that was in Joomla 3.x for free, costs you 50 euro in the Joomla 4 version. But I guess we have to accept that.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”