Horizontal mid-page scroll bar - WTH!

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 4.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Horizontal mid-page scroll bar - WTH!

Post by TheINIC » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:53 am

I've noticed something new in the middle of the screen sitting static except with as a blue progress bar - showing where the vertical scroll is and distance to bottom of page. I'd add a screencap and tried but nothing happens when I find the file and click [ADD FILES]

I've only seen it on two places, my site, and magazine.joomla.... and only Joomla 4, if the page is longer than the screen. Vertical scroll bar does the same thing but isn't in-ones-face about it.I don't want something that is detracting from the page itself.

Is there a way to hide it, or block it, or disable it for all pages on my site? <--- The Joomla one of course.

TIA
~Ti
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Administration Joomla! 4.x to Extensions for Joomla! 4.x
CAUTION: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in the courts of social media

ceford
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Horizontal mid-page scroll bar - WTH!

Post by ceford » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:08 am

I do not understand your description. Which page are you referring to? And which version of Joomla?

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:56 am

“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”
Walking the talk: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au
:)

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:41 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:56 am
Do you mean something like this: https://j4xdemo.enduring.com.au/demonst ... scroll-bar ???
Yes - if you look at the top just below the browser URL, and scroll down the page, the blue progress begins to show under the url - locked into that position. I think it might belong to a accessibility plugin. Makes available two ways of looking at the possible depth to the bottom of the page. One is the vertical scroll bar in the browser, the other is a blue one by the page that is supposed to be at the top of the page as in the demo, but it sits middle of the screen at my end.

I know, go Google it or as I would do, search for the details.

Thanks all and Sozzled
Ti
CAUTION: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in the courts of social media

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Progressive meter that displays how far you've scrolled on a web page

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:33 pm

It's a progressive indicator or how much of the page has been scrolled. In my demonstration, it's just a simple piece of CSS incorporated in a custom HTML module that I devised for my website. It's very simple.

In the cases you mentioned in your opening post, this progress bar is created with a plugin you can purchase from the people who sell the Easyblog extension. There are several utilities listed on the Joomla Extensions Directory and other places that you could use instead. For example:
If you are not interested in a real-time progress bar/meter, there are also extensions that display the estimated reading time for J! articles, for example:
You can even write your own extension using the following examples:
... and there are dozens of similar articles and tutorials on the same subject. I built my own version using these ideas. 8)

I hope this information helps. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?”

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:17 pm

sozzled wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:33 pm
It's a progressive indicator or how much of the page has been scrolled. In my demonstration, it's just a simple piece of CSS incorporated in a custom HTML module that I devised for my website. It's very simple.
I hope this information helps. :)
Sure does help. You da man - thanks and you may tell your boss I said you may have next week off with pay :)
~Ti

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:40 pm

I told my wife what you wrote: she gasped, shook her head in disbelief and said, "In your dreams, mate!" :laugh:

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:30 am

sozzled wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:33 pm

In the cases you mentioned in your opening post, this progress bar is created with a plugin you can purchase from the people who sell the ............
Well, as I pointed out, it was in Joomla 4 that I installed via Softaculous and needed at the time to disable it. Somehow, I did. Now I can't find where it is to enable it again.

~ti

TheINIC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by TheINIC » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:14 pm

The problem here is that A: This is NOT about extensions. It's about JOOMLA FOUR and it's own plugins.

Had this not been dumped into extensions there might be a for real answer. Well, off to a search engine = again.

BTW, one of the links suggesting to buy a extension (is Joomla getting commissions?) leads to a very, very suspicious site where on must register, sign in, give up rights to privacy (too many stalkers) to download the 'free' extension @ 27 Megs. Not very likely.

I see why now it was dumped here. Go get extension seems to be the flavour of the days.

Disappointed again.
~Ti

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 4.x”