Looking for suggestions for a resume/portfolio type website

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
GRNDPNDR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Looking for suggestions for a resume/portfolio type website

Post by GRNDPNDR » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:48 pm

I'm looking to setup a portfolio type website but I'm not a photographer or artist and every template I seem to find is tailored for those things.
I don't really have any images to use to replace the default ones in those templates either.

I'm a handyman/craftsman and have a ton of projects from automotive modifications to plumbing to fixing just about anything man made, so I'm not sure which would be the best way to handle something like that.

I have videos on [youtube] I'd like to link to and have embedded there as well.

Basically I'm looking for something like a simple main page that links to the "projects" area, where it would then have the list of various projects I've posted, which you could then go into and read about each project and see a gallery of images for it.

I'm just not certain how to handle this as I haven't had a website for about 15 years lol. I've had vBulletin forums in the past.

I'd also like to know how to change the order of displayed "Featured" articles on the main page of Cassiopeia since it seems to put the oldest first at the top....although I'm still learning how to use Joomla as a whole.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Looking for suggestions for a resume/portfolio type website

Post by AMurray » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 am

I'm sure there's a way to change the order of featured articles to most recent first in the article manager, or menu item ("featured articles" type).

You can certainly embed you-tube, either with You-Tubes own embed code, or with a media player plugin (refer to the extension directory) or even with the standard HTML 5 <video> tag.

Any sample content within a particular 'portfolio' template you can just remove. Cassiopeia doesn't have any such sample content or layouts like some templates.

I expect you'd use article(s) to present the main content of your CV or resume, and within that you can embed the video or other supporting content demonstrating your experience/skills.

You could also use the 'recent articles' module, that shows a list of a number of recent articles (the number of which you can specify e.g. 5 most recent, 10 most recent).

For a beginner as you have stated, I wouldn't go for anything elaborate in terms of template, I'm sure Cassiopeia would be sufficient. If you're learning Joomla then I'd suggest starting with https://docs.joomla.org as well as this forum for a help resource.
Regards - A Murray

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 am

A catalogue extension might suit your needs JED. Create a test site and test a few. A virtual Host, like Wamp, on your pc is good for testing.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sakiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sakiss » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 pm

I would go with core Articles and Custom Fields.

You can also use the Tassos' Advanced Custom Fields to embed the videos.

Also you can use BlueCoder's JFilters to let your users filter your projects based on specific attributes (e.g. custom fields).

If you want to go the extra mile, to adjust the display of all those data you will have to utilize the Joomla's layout overrides.

GRNDPNDR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GRNDPNDR » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm

I like the sounds of things mentioned here, but at this point it's a little above me. I'm just trying to figure out how to use Cassiopeia at the moment, or more specifically trying to figure out how things are working together.

right now the site is at overgrow.ca and I can't really figure out how to make "articles" show up where the 3 main articles are on the main page.
I made one appear there by making the category "Joomla" but I don't understand *why* doing that made the article show up there, and how to make other category articles show up there.

I'm just playing with the sample data right now, so maybe I should just try from scratch.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Install a test site and install sample data
Categories can be created
Articles can be created and assigned to categories
Menu items can be created and can point to Categories, Articles and much more
Modules are assigned to positions and can be associated with all or selected menu items
viewtopic.php?t=973545

J3 had 'Learn' sample date which you might want to install on a test site. The principles are the same as J4.
Again I recommend Wamp on your pc as test environment.

GRNDPNDR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GRNDPNDR » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
Install a test site and install sample data
Categories can be created
Articles can be created and assigned to categories
Menu items can be created and can point to Categories, Articles and much more
Modules are assigned to positions and can be associated with all or selected menu items
viewtopic.php?t=973545

J3 had 'Learn' sample date which you might want to install on a test site. The principles are the same as J4.
Again I recommend Wamp on your pc as test environment.
I have a cloned site with sample data installed.

Some good advice in that thread, I'll read through it a little more in depth when I get some time.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how I want to lay it out really.

What I mainly want is a single main page/home that maybe provides a bit of information, and then some links in a menu where I could put the projects I've worked on, on a sort of table of contents type page linking to each project where I can then post pictures and write ups.

One issue I face at the moment is that I can't seem to create a "home" menu item that actually goes "home".

My site at overgrow.ca has two home links in the menu, one is just the menu item that was already there with a basic installation and I just moved it, the other one is the menu item I tried to create by copying the already existing button exactly, but it doesn't actually go "home" and I can't figure out why?

I'm looking at it now and thinking it might have something to do with the alias? I was only trying to make it so I knew how. Previously it didn't show the links in the address bar the same across both sites until now.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:07 pm

GRNDPNDR wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how I want to lay it out really....
Use pen & paper. Decide on your Categories and the Articles you will have in each one.
www . you tube.com/watch?v=u5Y4pIsXTV0
Might give you some Ideas

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”