Could J3 template be the problem? Topic is solved

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jeabramian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Could J3 template be the problem?

Post by jeabramian » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I upgraded a Joomla 3.10 site to Joomla 4 on the PC. After struggling, I got the joomla 4 administrator running and, I think, without errors. However, when I want to see the site, the page looks weird, with parts of the shell but no contents. I thought this was something related to another bad extension or setting. Then I changed the custom-made J 3 template to the Cassiopea. The site was up, although without the menu bar, the asides, and other stuff. Can I be sure the problem is then the template? I read in the forum that is very difficult to update the J3 template to J4. But at least I would like to make sure this is the problem before starting to work on a new template or adapting the old one. In summary, 1) am I right assuming the problem is the template, 2) is there any free template maker that could be recommended?
Thanks a lot,
Jorge

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Could J3 template be the problem?

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:28 pm

No J3 templates work with J4.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:52 pm

In updating to J4, the default template should be switched to Cassiopeia. In Cassiopeia, your site should load as usual with all its original content. The missing modules could be a case that you just have to reassign the modules to the correct module positions within Cassiopeia.

A forum user here did actually produce a version of Protostar for J4 (refer to viewtopic.php?t=988263)
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:13 pm

==== slightly off-topic ====
@AMurray: truth be told, the "version of Protostar for J! 4" is not the Protostar template adapted to J! 4 but the Cassiopeia template adapted to use Protostar's module positions.
===== end off-topic =====
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

jeabramian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeabramian » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Thank you for the answers. Then I gather that that is the problem, right? It shows an error 500 "InvalidargumentException", behavior::caption not found.

Thank you

jorge

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:08 pm

jeabramian wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:54 pm
Thank you for the answers. Then I gather that that is the problem, right? It shows an error 500 "InvalidargumentException", behavior::caption not found.
The error message comes from an attempt to use an extension that utilises the Mootools Javascript library; Mootools is not used in J! 4.x.

Enable J! debug mode and set the error reporting level to "maximum" to discover which extension is making a call to Mootools. You probably need to uninstall the extension that uses Mootools. :)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

jeabramian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeabramian » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Thank you sozzled. Actually it was already set to true and maximum. When I call the page, the result is a list, but I don't recognize the source of error. Here I attached a screen print.

Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:55 pm

Looks like the error comes from a template named wcce. Do you recognise that name?

jeabramian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeabramian » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:05 am

Yes, I do. Is the J3 template I was telling about before. I'm surprised how quickly you got that. So definitely is the template matter! So now I have to study how to create templates...
Thank you a lot.
jorge

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:18 am

I suggest that you uninstall the wcce template and play with Cassiopeia. Creating templates is not the easiest job in the world (and that's why I don't do that) but CSS is not too hard. ;)

Can we mark this topic as resolved?

jeabramian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jeabramian » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am

I think it is resolved. Thanks.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”