Helix Ultimate - Modifying side menu modules

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Helix Ultimate - Modifying side menu modules

Post by PattiH » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:08 pm

I have a brand new install of Joomla 4.2.3 and am using the Helix Ultimate template. I have been pretty successful in getting the site the way I'd like except for two side (position: right) menus. I would like for them to look more distinctive. They seem to follow the css of the navigation options in the template (black for active, blue for hover) which is the opposite for the content. The title for the module is automatically set for h3 and that would be okay, but the links below are larger -- too large. they definitely are not the same size as designated in the navigation options in the template (which I've set to 16). Is there something I'm missing in the template settings to make the menu module links smaller?

This question might be better suited for the JoomShaper forum, but even though I created an account, I could see no way to post a question.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Helix Ultimate - Modifying side menu modules

Post by AMurray » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:56 pm

PattiH wrote:This question might be better suited for the JoomShaper forum, but even though I created an account, I could see no way to post a question.
Once you log-in to Joomshaper on their Forum page you should see the blue button, "Ask a question". (?).
joomshaper forum.png

I would write the custom CSS, place it in the user.css file for your template (you need to create this file if it doesn't exist; Helix may call the file something else like 'custom.css'), or use the Typography settings within the template itself. You can also put small amounts of CSS in the "Custom CSS" code section of the template. (Refer below as illustrated).

joomshaper_custom-css.png
joomshaper_typography.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:44 am

Thank you. The typography for navigation in the template settings seem to affect only the top menu, not the side menus. I had already tried that. I have seen the custom code option, but I've never done that before. I much prefer to find a setting that will do what I want. But I suppose it's time I learned.
In the JoomShaper forum, there is no box next to the search box that says "or Ask a Question." Even though I've taken advantage of the free Helix Ultimate, I have not paid for any of their other products. I thought maybe that was why I didn't have posting privileges.
Thank you for your help!
Patti

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:40 am

If you specify how you want your menus to appear, provide a link to your site, pointing out what menu you want to change (and which parts of it), members on the forum here could assist with the exact CSS you require.

If it's only a few lines, I would say it could go in the template's "custom code (CSS)" box, otherwise in the user.css as already mentioned.

If you want to understand how HTML and CSS works, my go-to reference is www.w3schools.com
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:17 pm

Thanks for the offer and recommendation A Murray. As it turns out, I went a different direction. I used the Gantry Helium theme and it also does not have any special styles for modules. But I just happened to notice that under the "inherited" box for styles, I got an option for using the Cassiopea "card" style. It was perfect! It's subtle, but makes the modules in the right columns more distinguishable from the page content. I did not realize that one could "borrow" from styles included in other uninstalled templates.

PattiH
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by PattiH » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:18 pm

And just to add that I'm not opposed to paying for themes, but I do a few websites for non-profits who operate on a shoestring and if I can do the website without a lot of expense on their part, that's a better option.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”