is artisteer dead? what design tool do you recommend?

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
rhinosystems
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

is artisteer dead? what design tool do you recommend?

Post by rhinosystems » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi
I've used artisteer for many years, but for some reason they haven't upgraded their software in a long time, and their support (online) is not responding... It doesn't generate valid templates for Joomla 4.x
So, two questions:
1) does anyone know what's going on with artisteer
2) can you recommend a design tool to develop templates and layouts..etc. for Joomla 4.x?

Thanks,
Joel
Last edited by toivo on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 4.x General Questions

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: is artisteer dead? what design tool do you recommend?

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:38 pm

Artisteer died—was abandoned—about 10 years ago.

I do not recommend any of those products related to DIY template builders. My recommendation is to use Cassiopeia.

rhinosystems
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rhinosystems » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 pm

thanks! I don't know about 10 yrs ago, since I last talked with them about 5 yrs ago... however, point taken. Weird no announcement or change in their website; and looks like you can still buy the product.

Cassiopeia seems pretty limited (maybe I misunderstand you with regard to design/flexibility), and yet, customers want to have their own design/layout... etc. Hence the tool request.

Is there any online or desktop program that does do design work?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:21 pm

rhinosystems wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 pm
Is there any online or desktop program that does do design work?
It depends on what you mean by an "online or desktop program"; I'm assuming you are referring to the way that Artisteer worked as a standalone product. If you are asking about browser-based approached that allow users to select a basic template style and then drag-and-drop different features into that style, yes there are a few frameworks that accomplish that.

For example, Gantry, Helix, SP Page Builder (to name three). There are others. I make no recommendations about any of them.

For more specific needs, there's always CSS. ;)

It is unfair to say that Cassiopeia "seems pretty limited" if you haven't done your research. A good place to start would be to read Joomla 4 – Cassiopeia Template – a bunch of Tips & Tricks. This forum also has many hundreds of questions that people ask about how to adapt Cassiopeia for their specific purposes.

I have no idea whether Artisteer is available for purchase. The Artisteer project effectively shut its doors years ago. It's not really the point whether it was 10 years ago or 5 years ago (or even more recently). It's dead. 8)

Maradona
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Maradona » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:56 am

Have a look at Nicepage

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:43 am

rhinosystems wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm
Hi
I've used artisteer for many years, but for some reason they haven't upgraded their software in a long time, and their support (online) is not responding... It doesn't generate valid templates for Joomla 4.x
So, two questions:
2) can you recommend a design tool to develop templates and layouts..etc. for Joomla 4.x?

Thanks,
Joel
Hi. The path of evolution of this team of developers Artisteer > Themler > Nicepage.

Artisteer and Themler are dead for many years. Nicepage - is what they are now developing. But I would not recommend their products. It is expensive and crooked (IMO).

The approach to creating templates since the time of the Artisteer and Themler has changed dramatically. Now there are Framework-templates, and pages builders who killed the software like Artisteer. This is thrown into a landfill of history as a dead end branch of evolution.

Take a look at Helix Ultimate, Gantry, T4, Yootheme (all they are free). You can make any layouts and any module positions you want with these templates. Their code base is much cleaner and better than Artisteer had.

Cassiopea is also beautiful, but this is not Framework-template but a simple template. Therefore, work with this requires coding skills.

perec4stor
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by perec4stor » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19 am

rhinosystems wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:02 pm
Hi
So, two questions:

Thanks,
Joel
As an alternative design tool for creating templates and layouts for Joomla 4.x, I suggest exploring popular options like Adobe Dreamweaver, template toaster, or Artisteer's competitors such as SP Page Builder or Gantry. These tools offer a variety of features and support for Joomla 4.x, enabling you to develop visually appealing designs for your website.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”