Template Override For Helix Ultimate Category Blog With Subcategory Title As Headline Between Articles

Everything to do with Joomla! 4.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
KEComm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Template Override For Helix Ultimate Category Blog With Subcategory Title As Headline Between Articles

Post by KEComm » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 pm

I am trying to create a category blog layout which looks like this:

Subcategory 1 Title

Subcategory 1 Article 1
Subcategory 1 Article 2
Subcategory 1 Article 3

Subcategory 2 Title

Subcategory 2 Article 1

I am unsure if this is an override of "article", "category", or "categories".
If I put an override in the templates/shaperhelixultimate/overrides/com_content/ folder, I cannot select it in the menu item layout options. I only find overrides from the folder /shaper_helixultimate/html/com_content/article

Can someone help me which file I need to edit to create that override and where to put it?
Last edited by toivo on Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: changed CAPS in subject - please observe the forum rules!

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Template Override For HELIX ULTIMATE Category Blog With Subcategory Title As Headline Between Articles

Post by Pavel-ww » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:01 am

KEComm wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:49 pm

I am unsure if this is an override of "article", "category", or "categories".
If I put an override in the templates/shaperhelixultimate/overrides/com_content/ folder, I cannot select it in the menu item layout options. I only find overrides from the folder /shaper_helixultimate/html/com_content/article
/templates/shaperhelixultimate/overrides/ folder is intended only for layouts already overriden in Helix from the box. You should copy the files from /plugins/system/helixultimate/overrides/ for use in this folder.

But if you want to make a completely new blog category layout with your own name, you need to use the standard folder /templates/shaperhelixultimate/html/ and standart Joomla override means. Override all com_content layouts related to the blog category, change the names of their files, create a new type of menu item and add data to XML file.

The choice of your own blog layout is not carried out through the choice of the layout in the settings, but is carried out through the choice of the menu item type. Read Joomla's documentation about override of the blog category.

Summarizing:
You can override the default category blog layout using /templates/shaperhelixultimate/overrides/ folder.

Or you can create your own category blog layout with an unique name following the instructions from Joomla documentation. Then it is not related to Helix

KEComm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Override For Helix Ultimate Category Blog With Subcategory Title As Headline Between Articles

Post by KEComm » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:08 pm

I still need an answer for the question: Do I need to create an override for "category" or "categories?"

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Template Override For Helix Ultimate Category Blog With Subcategory Title As Headline Between Articles

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 pm

KEComm wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:08 pm
I still need an answer for the question: Do I need to create an override for "category" or "categories?"
Hi.

I thought your problem is that you do not know how to make overrides in Helix. But it turns out that you do not know how to make an overrides in general. Since the obvious answer for who have skills is - Blog Category and all its template php files, layout php files, creating new your own menu item type.

Therefore, I believe that you cannot cope with this at all, since you will have to write all the functionality from scratch, and not just change something.

If you have no skills for this, use modules instead of creating an override, as the user has done here viewtopic.php?f=808&t=1008497

And in my opinion - it will be, in any case, the best option for your case

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 4.x”