Canonical Urls in Joomla 4

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 4.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 4.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
alan-donny
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Canonical Urls in Joomla 4

Post by alan-donny » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:12 pm

I'm getting ready to move a large J3 site to J4. Since the site has been on J3, over the years I have seen lots of duplicate url variations appearing in search results.

I'd like to resolve this using canonical urls when the site moves to J4 without the need for an extension.

Canonical Urls seem to have been a tricky issue in Joomla and having had a good look round I can't see any J4 related information. I wondered if anyone can suggest a solution that utilises native J4 functionality?

Thank you in advance.

quazar987
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Canonical Urls in Joomla 4

Post by quazar987 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:50 am

You may try injecting canonical tag via javascript by making key-value map. This article here says it worked for them, might be worth a try
https://www.searchviu.com/en/javascript-canonical-tags/

alan-donny
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alan-donny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:20 am

Thank you minecrafthub4u and quazar987 for your thoughts.

Disowning Urls is possible but my point here is that I want to stop it happening in the first place when I move to J4.

Regarding the JS option, it's interesting but not an out of the box solution I'm looking at.

I'm sure I am not alone in having a need for canonical Urls. I have seen this issue discussed in the past but without a specific solution beyond "trying" extensions and a custom fields solution for J3.

Much as been said about the power of Joomla's core - it would be nice to see a robust J4 solution to this problem which in turn could be seen as another benefit of using Joomla over something else. After all, potentially being penalised for duplicate Urls is as much a consideration to potential new Joomla users as are other factors affecting site performance.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:25 am

After all, potentially being penalised for duplicate Urls is as much a consideration to potential new Joomla users as are other factors affecting site performance.
Penalised by who? Not by google!! https://www.searchenginejournal.com/goo ... or/394321/
Google’s John Mueller clarifies a misconception about duplicate content, saying it’s not a negative search ranking factor.

Having the same content repeated across multiple pages is not something that would cause a site to rank lower in search results.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

alan-donny
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alan-donny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:08 am

Of course not Brian, and thank you. I have learned though, overtime, that what is said and done can be some what dependent on the wind direction and how many weeks have passed... But that's just my take on it.

That aside, to me the idea of SEO friendly, clean Urls should be just that - not some jumbled up mess that appears in Google results. And some people do take note of Url formats.

It would be nice to be able to control the Urls that could be indexed but it seems problematic.

alan-donny
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alan-donny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:57 am

devp2082 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:42 am
the page that Google thinks is most representative from a set of duplicate pages on your site.
Thanks - and that is what I want to be able to improve - I want Google to know, not think or assume which is the correct version.

Footsteps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Footsteps » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:50 am

I've very interested in this subject too. The article you linked to Brian is a very interesting one, thank you, but it is, I believe referring to duplicate sections of content on many pages not whole page ‘duplication’, there is a paragraph in that article:

“Duplicate pages can bloat a site and eat up crawl budget, but that’s a whole other topic which is not discussed in this video.”

So I do think the issue of Canonical URLs is still worth discussion.

minhhoangus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by minhhoangus » Wed May 11, 2022 7:47 am

Thank quazar987

lamtuong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Location: 119B Tân Thới Nhất 1, phường Tân Thới Nhất, Quận 12, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh

Post by lamtuong » Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 am

Joomla version 3.10.7 or later and joomla 4.x have Canonical integrated.
https://www.baoholaodongtot.com/ nhà cung cấp các sản phẩm thiết bị bảo hộ cá nhân, bê tông nhẹ, gạch bê tông nhẹ, tấm bê tông nhẹ, máy làm bê tông, phụ gia beton.

alan-donny
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alan-donny » Fri May 13, 2022 7:17 am

lamtuong, thank you. Please can you advise on how and where the settings are in Joomla or share a link to the documentation?

lamtuong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Location: 119B Tân Thới Nhất 1, phường Tân Thới Nhất, Quận 12, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh

Post by lamtuong » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:22 am

alan-donny wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:17 am
lamtuong, thank you. Please can you advise on how and where the settings are in Joomla or share a link to the documentation?
Hi,
i am having 4 websites, 1 joomla 4.x and 3 joomla 3.10.x.
I updated and see Canonical is already built in. However it gets duplicate error when I enable "System Cache" to "ON - Conservative caching".
With joomla 3.10.x version site I use Canonical Links Plugin, it works perfectly.
Website version joomla 4.x does not have Canonical Links Plugin yet.

here is the link Canonical Links Plugin
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... ll-in-one/

see attached picture!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.baoholaodongtot.com/ nhà cung cấp các sản phẩm thiết bị bảo hộ cá nhân, bê tông nhẹ, gạch bê tông nhẹ, tấm bê tông nhẹ, máy làm bê tông, phụ gia beton.

johan191
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johan191 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:53 am

Sorry, I am looking into joomla 4 for the Canonical Links build in solution but I can't find it. I am asking this because my joomla 3 website was indexed by Google. But after a crash I am rebuilding the site on Joomla 4. But Google is not seeing my site at this moment. And I'm now looking for for the Canonical solution because Google is asking me for this.

But I can't find it. Who can help me. My website is https://www.johansoffice.nl and https://johansoffice.nl is also working.

Sorry for my bad Englisch.
Greets from Holland.
Johan

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:26 am

Hi. In Joomla 4 there is no built -in solution for canonical links that you could configure. Therefore, only the use of third -party components will help solve the problem. Take a look at RSSEO for example.

johan191
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johan191 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:38 am

Thanks, but at this moment I only need it for 15 url's. So I don't think I will buy this solution
So I think It is a better idea to edit my sitemap.xml file.
I hope that is a another working solution. I hope so.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 am

I always redirect www to none www in my htaccess file, you do not need www. it is in effect a sub domain of the net and is no longer necessary.

johan191
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johan191 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:25 pm

I'm sorry but at my clean Joomla 4 Install there is not the possibillity to enable Canonical url's in the system - Global configuration and than i can't see: Under the Site tab, look for the SEO Settings section and set Canonical URLs to "Yes."
So if you can give us screendumps to inform me what I am missing than I will be very happy.
I am still looking for the real right tip to tell google what the new url's are for my website, but for this moment is is still a no go. To clean up the search terms for my website is a still a crime with google.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:31 pm

@johan191, ignore grownupnext he is just spamming his pathetic WP site.

johan191
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johan191 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:35 pm

thanks for the information gws. Why is he not blokked on this forum

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:42 pm

He will be when the mods see it.