mass mail by Registered Users

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
gobiggs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

mass mail by Registered Users

Post by gobiggs » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:24 pm

I want any Registered user to be able to send mass mail. Can Joomla's admin mass mail be configured to do that someway? All of the extensions I find work with super user not Registered.

Any suggestions appreciated.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: mass mail by Registered Users

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:21 pm

The mass email function is indeed Admin only.

Alternative options:
Maybe a newsletter component like ACYMailing would suit, and could be set so that Editors/Publisher level could create and send the emails (but this may also be overkill for what you want).

You'd need to be careful with this, because unless you have a subscribe and/or opt-out function it could be considered spamming (but just my opinion since we don't have any context as to why you want this feature).

A social networking extension perhaps would be more likely to have a mass communication feature, since it's probable that members would send messages to each other.

But we need more detail on why you need such a feature to give further advice.
Regards - A Murray

gobiggs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gobiggs » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 am

Hi, thanks for your response. I live in a small private development of 48 owners in South Carolina. Often we wish to contact all of our neighbors about something such as a lost or found dog or similar. Now everyone uses a reply to an email that was sent out almost a year ago to everyone. Obviously not a good system. I thought it would make sense to set up a simple private website for our use and that is working fine, but not sure how to do the contacting of all owners by any individual. I looked at Community Builder but don't see a way there either. The site allows self-registering but, requires approval to be sure only our members are admitted. I'm using Joomla 5 so that is also a learning experience.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:56 am

You can set up a user group with Registered as Parent and allow that new group admin login. Then select that group in the Special view/access level.

You can then create a view/access level for that group

Next create a Category for that group and allow Create, Edit own. Set the corresponding view/access level

In a Component of your choice allow that group Access Administration Interface, Create, Edit own

You could also create another group with the 1st new group as Parent and add allow Create and Delete to the Category and Component Permissions. And select the 2nd new group in the corresponding Category

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Access_Con ... t_Tutorial applies to J5 as well
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

nacc
I've been banned!

Post by nacc » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:27 am

Lost and found for small communities: letterbox drop. Email is very unreliable; ditto for text messages, too. There are times when paper notices work better than other "methods" and urgent/time-sensitive notices are often best advertised on paper.

If there's a communal space (e.g. a public notice board) use that.

By all means, create a website for the benefit of the community. Advertise whatever you want to advertise there, too, and hope that the community appreciates the effort. Keep in mind that people will do whatever they want to do; it's a surprising aspect of human behaviour that people really hate "virtual" intrusions (e.g. emails, text messages) but they're less upset by real-work interactions (e.g. door-knocking, letter drops) etc.

When I was on the residents committee of an apartment complex (with about 48 units) we dropped printed notices in the letter-boxes.

Yes, you can create a website for your community but you're going to have to push it into people's faces with direct marketing (e.g. telephoning, pamphlets) and hope they actually use it. Good luck.
Last edited by nacc on Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”