Wishlist: please improve settings-options for Prev/Next buttons in multitude of Single Articles

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sthop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Wishlist: please improve settings-options for Prev/Next buttons in multitude of Single Articles

Post by sthop » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:28 pm

Hello,

Is Joomla only meant for publishing newspapers and magazines?
I want to write an online educational book by means of Joomla 5 as publication medium.
The book consists of hundreds of pages that are not always written in the correct order of the ongoing story.
The book will be created by 'progressive insight' and is continuously adjusted/corrected.
This means that new pages are frequently inserted between existing pages.
Joomla has the 2 separate, simple buttons: on the left side of a webpage: '<Prev' and on the right side of a webpage 'Next>'.
The current Joomla-functionality of the Prev/Next buttons is too simple, because it only takes into account the sequence of 'publish_up' or 'created date'.
Is it possible that Joomla developers extend the Settings-functionality in such a way that the webmaster or author can set and edit the sequential order of Prev/Next hops between story-pages?
For example: the way how it is done in Moodle LMS.

Regards,
sthop

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Wishlist: please improve settings-options for Prev/Next buttons in multitude of Single Articles

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:43 pm

You can literally re-order the articles in the Article Manager - with 'drag and drop'.

You can add pagination so you can navigate the articles more easily, such as Home Prev 1, 2,3,4,5......Next End (etc).

But if it's something that's not already in the CMS you'd need to request such a feature through https://issues.joomla.org where devs are more likely to see your request.

However, if the need is more immediate, and the CMS doesn't already have the capability you're after, you might be better off finding a developer through the Professional Services forum to add your request there: viewforum.php?f=177 or https://community.joomla.org/service-pr ... directory/
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sthop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Wishlist: please improve settings-options for Prev/Next buttons in multitude of Single Articles

Post by sthop » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:06 pm

My request was about Prev/Next buttons in the Frontend (public visitor site), not about the Backend (admin dashboard): How can I correct the sequential pagination of the reading-order for visitors, so that people can read the published pages of the story in the correct order?
I do not see any 'Home Prev 1, 2,3,4,5......Next End' in the webpages of the frontend, but only 2 buttons: '<Prev' and 'Next>'.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:34 am

sthop wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:06 pm
How can I correct the sequential pagination of the reading-order for visitors, so that people can read the published pages of the story in the correct order?
Hi
⬇️
AMurray wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:43 pm
You can literally re-order the articles in the Article Manager - with 'drag and drop'.
... or by changing date.

I do not think that it is possible to introduce the functionality that you are asking about, in the core of the system. This would break the basic functions of the blog. For such things, private developers are usually used. Joomla is very flexible and allows you to do any customization. But this is in the hands of the user only.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:09 am

AMurray wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:43 pm
You can add pagination so you can navigate the articles more easily, such as Home Prev 1, 2,3,4,5......Next End (etc).
The OP asked about "Navigation", but your answer is about "Pagination".

AlCher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AlCher » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 am

Settings-options for Prev/Next buttons in Joomla 5 is a regression compared to similar settings in Joomla 3. Changes order of articles in Category List are ignored in the Pagination (Navigation - I don't know the correct name) bar, see viewtopic.php?f=834&t=1005401.
Articles are always displayed as Most recent first in the Pagination (Navigation) bar. This limits the functionality of Joomla 5 to the blog level.
As a result, the logic of viewing materials by users on the front-end from certain categories is violated. I join the request to improve settings-options for Prev/Next buttons.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am

sthop wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:28 pm
The current Joomla-functionality of the Prev/Next buttons is too simple, because it only takes into account the sequence of 'publish_up' or 'created date'.
I think you are mistaken! If you make a menu item of type Category List, in the List Layouts tab you can select Article Order from a list of a dozen different methods.

However, there are problems with creating the list - not easy to move a new item to the place you want it in a very long list. And the Previous/Next labels can disappear if you create a menu item for one of the articles.

AlCher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AlCher » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:38 am

ceford wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 am
sthop wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:28 pm
I think you are mistaken! If you make a menu item of type Category List, in the List Layouts tab you can select Article Order from a list of a dozen different methods.
It doesn't work, unfortunately. When the Article Order option is selected in the List Layouts tab, the articles on the Front-end are not displayed in the specified order, but only as Most recent first.

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:48 pm

In the backend articles list, if I filter by the Category I want to list and then drag the articles to change the order, in the frontend Category list I see the order change and in each article I see the Previous/Next links giving the same order. However, ... the problem comes with the menu.

If you set a menu item pointing to any individual article in the Category it breaks the pagination. If you don't want to see the Category list you could hide it in an undisplayed menu. Then you create a menu item of type System / URL and use the full url to the first article in the category. In my test setup that was:

Code: Select all

http://localhost/j44/index.php/en/book/lorem-ipsum-1
The category in this case is Book (alias book).

AlCher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by AlCher » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:18 am

ceford wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:48 pm
... the problem comes with the menu.

If you set a menu item pointing to any individual article in the Category it breaks the pagination. ...
This really caused a problem.
Thank you very much ceford! Sincerely yours!

zelena
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zelena » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:12 pm

ceford wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:48 pm
If you set a menu item pointing to any individual article in the Category it breaks the pagination.
Thank you for explaining this. Do you know if there is any way around this? I would like the Next/Prev to operate and not break when articles are also linked via menu items.

[As an aside: We are a publisher, and we are transitioning to J4 late in the game, as we had to migrate from K2. I keep hearing how core Joomla is so much better... but honestly, we have run into so many problems like this that just are not an issue with K2.]
Last edited by toivo on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: added /quote tag

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”