Internal server error Image Article Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
vornicuionut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Internal server error Image Article

Post by vornicuionut » Fri May 17, 2024 8:28 am

Hi. I use Joomla 5.1 Today I encountered a problem when selecting pictures for articles. When I want to change or add the picture to the intro or to the whole article, when I save, I get the message: 'Internal server error''. Please give me some advice, I contacted my hosting provider and they restored a back-up from three days ago, but the problem persists. The last time everything was ok was on 12.05.2024 . I use Helix ultimate from JoomShaper as template. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by AMurray on Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note:correction of typo from "JomShapper" to "JoomShaper".

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Internal server error Image Article

Post by AMurray » Fri May 17, 2024 8:36 am

Please can you provide the error reports (PHP error reporting) and debug; these can be set "on" through the Joomla global configuration under system (or) server.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

vornicuionut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vornicuionut » Fri May 17, 2024 9:49 am

Where do I find these reports? I have debugging enabled but I don't know where to see the reports

vornicuionut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vornicuionut » Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 am

[17-May-2024 13:38:33 Europe/Bucharest] PHP Warning: filesize(): stat failed for /home/biog/public_html/romanian/images/LEGENDE%20SI%20BASME/Bucovina/Legenda-dacilor-din-Bucovina.png in /home/biog/public_html/romanian/libraries/techfry/src/View/Html/TfOg.php on line 46

[17-May-2024 13:38:33 Europe/Bucharest] PHP Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/biog/public_html/romanian/plugins/system/helixultimate/overrides/layouts/joomla/content/full_image.php on line 70

[17-May-2024 13:35:17 Europe/Bucharest] PHP Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/biog/public_html/romanian/plugins/system/helixultimate/overrides/layouts/joomla/content/full_image.php on line 70

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri May 17, 2024 12:53 pm

It looks like the File Information Function in PHP have been turned off at the Server.

MUC Webmaster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MUC Webmaster » Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm

I have the exact same problem. I am thinking it might be a new bug in Joomla v5.1. My site configuration is:
Joomla 5.1
PHP 8.2
I don't use intro images that often but I am pretty sure this worked recently. Have checked hosting issues, am not running into resource limits. I am stuck!

deeno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deeno » Fri May 17, 2024 6:57 pm

Funny thing, same problem on the same day!
Using J!5.1.0, on a Plesk Server, PHP 8.3.7 since day one on this project - with no problem so far...
We did not update anything in J!, and the hosting provider just confirmed that the last server update was a month ago. Yesterday all was working fine, suddenly it started with some strange trouble upon saving (it would not save) - provider entered the security id of the error in the server log, to the web applications firewall excludes and then saving worked again !?!?. But an hour or so after this, suddenly we cannot select an intro image for an article - "internal server error" joomla says... In the server log file, unfortunately there is no security id for this error i could add to the WAF excludes...
Any idea???
Last edited by deeno on Fri May 17, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deeno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deeno » Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 pm

MUC Webmaster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm I have the exact same problem. I am thinking it might be a new bug in Joomla v5.1. My site configuration is:
Joomla 5.1
PHP 8.2
I don't use intro images that often but I am pretty sure this worked recently. Have checked hosting issues, am not running into resource limits. I am stuck!
...but this could be a joomla bug only after an update, because you say it worked recently - did you update? we did not, and today the problem started, so I think maybe server something???

ies
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ies » Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 pm

I have the same problem using J! 5.1.0 on PHP 8.2 and 8.1.

deeno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deeno » Fri May 17, 2024 8:48 pm

ies wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 pm I have the same problem using J! 5.1.0 on PHP 8.2 and 8.1.
also since today/17.05?

deeno
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by deeno » Fri May 17, 2024 8:50 pm

it is 4 different persons on the same day with the same problem comming up suddenly!?
this is odd, if the reason is not a joomla update (obviously it is not a PHP update since we all using different versions), then it might be some updated server firewall rules? can you all please confirm using plesk yes/no?

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2024 9:14 pm

The message "internal server error" is generated by the server and not by joomla.

Usually there would be an entry in the server logs that will provide more information.

If as suspected this is caused by a new (and faulty) mod_security rule on the server then the log should indicate that - although it might be in a seperate mod_security log that you do not have access to.

Your host should be able to see very quickly the exact issue that triggered the server error and if as suspected it is by a new (and faulty) mod_security rule then they can fix that. It is not something you can do for yourself
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

ovi76
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ovi76 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:37 pm

I have the same problem on Joomla 4.4 on completely different servers. The problem appeared today.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 pm

The exact same advice then.

ThorHammer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ThorHammer » Fri May 17, 2024 10:30 pm

I use Joomla 4.4.4
Have been experiencing 'Internal Server Error' when selecting or swapping an image in Menu or Article.
PHP 8.2
Control Panel
Had some ?? lite-speed ?? web server errors yesterday which suddenly vanished, this may be some sort of server update causing the error which is common amongst hosting

Not sure about logs as it is shared hosting

Thanks OP for reporting

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Not sure about logs as it is shared hosting
ask the hosts. thats what you pay them for.

hungkhanggl
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by hungkhanggl » Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 pm

Temporary solution: Go to your cPanel hosting find the "ModSecurity" option, and turn off
Unlocking Joomla's Potential: Insights, Tips, and Trends: https://hawktemplates.com/blog

MUC Webmaster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MUC Webmaster » Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 pm

deeno wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 pm
MUC Webmaster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:05 pm I have the exact same problem. I am thinking it might be a new bug in Joomla v5.1. My site configuration is:
Joomla 5.1
PHP 8.2
...but this could be a joomla bug only after an update, because you say it worked recently - did you update? we did not, and today the problem started, so I think maybe server something???
I have 3 sites, all hosted on A2 Hosting. Two sites were recently updated to J5.1 and I cannot set intro images on these two. A third site is still at J5.0.1 and setting intro images works fine on this site.

MUC Webmaster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MUC Webmaster » Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 pm

hungkhanggl wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:34 pm Temporary solution: Go to your cPanel hosting find the "ModSecurity" option, and turn off
Thank you - this works for me. I will talk to my hosting provider to see if there is some new security rule that doesn't play nicely (with J5.1 at least) :)

MUC Webmaster
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MUC Webmaster » Sat May 18, 2024 2:18 pm

brian wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:14 pm The message "internal server error" is generated by the server and not by joomla.

Usually there would be an entry in the server logs that will provide more information.

If as suspected this is caused by a new (and faulty) mod_security rule on the server then the log should indicate that - although it might be in a seperate mod_security log that you do not have access to.

Your host should be able to see very quickly the exact issue that triggered the server error and if as suspected it is by a new (and faulty) mod_security rule then they can fix that. It is not something you can do for yourself
Thanks Brian - I temporarily turned Mod Security off as suggested below and this confirms your suspicion. I will talk to my hosting company.

vornicuionut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vornicuionut » Sun May 19, 2024 5:40 am

Following discussions on the forum, I have presented the issues discussed here to the hosting provider and the problem has been solved, at least for me.

Answer from the hosts: “In the course of checking, we noticed a certain ModSec rule trigger, so we set that ModSec rule as an exception for your site.”

I hope it helps!

BielcityCH
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by BielcityCH » Sun May 19, 2024 1:18 pm

I have the same problem with Joomla 5.0.3 and PHP 8.3.2, my host does not use Plesk and therefore I can't turn off ModSec by myself.

Is there any other solution or workaround for this problem?

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sun May 19, 2024 2:49 pm

Ask your host to look at the server logs for a mod security fault.

BielcityCH
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by BielcityCH » Mon May 20, 2024 2:10 pm

My host deactivated a ModSec-rule and now it is working again.

jeanpr
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jeanpr » Mon May 20, 2024 2:12 pm

Hello, I have the same problem, it started on Friday.
I requested that ModSec be turned off from the hosting, despite having access to cpanel, the mod was not appearing to be deactivated in the php functions

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon May 20, 2024 2:48 pm

jeanpr wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:12 pm Hello, I have the same problem, it started on Friday.
I requested that ModSec be turned off from the hosting, despite having access to cpanel, the mod was not appearing to be deactivated in the php functions
AFAIK, Mod security is not a php function and can not be deactivated in php functions.

andraspal
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andraspal » Wed May 22, 2024 8:48 am

It started on one of my websites. Having multiple others at the same host working fine. So weird this is.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”