upside down images

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
sushidog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

upside down images

Post by sushidog » Thu May 23, 2024 6:25 pm

Certain images that I have uploaded look upright when viewed in my media area and when I put them in an article as the intro or main image. But then on the actual page, they appear upside down. I also have an extension called R2H image manager and when I view them there, they are upside down.

On my home Win11 machine, they are upright. I'm guessing that Win11 and joomla's media manager auto-correct them or something, but that orientation isn't sticky. I don't know. I'd just really like to figure out a way to get them rightside up!

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: upside down images

Post by gws » Thu May 23, 2024 6:31 pm

R2H is j4 it hasn't been updated in 2 years.

sushidog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sushidog » Thu May 23, 2024 7:46 pm

gws wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:31 pm R2H is j4 it hasn't been updated in 2 years.
R2H has nothing to do with the issue, I only mentioned it as it shows the images upside down as well.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu May 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Do any other extensions do the same thing? e.g. install Phoca Gallery (as a test). Does it also show the images upside down?

What localhost server were you running e.g. IIS (Windows) or WAMPServer, XAMPP etc.?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sushidog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sushidog » Fri May 24, 2024 12:43 am

AMurray wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:48 pm Do any other extensions do the same thing? e.g. install Phoca Gallery (as a test). Does it also show the images upside down?

What localhost server were you running e.g. IIS (Windows) or WAMPServer, XAMPP etc.?
No localhost, this is live. And the image(s) in question show up upside down in phoca gallery as well.

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gsmela » Fri May 24, 2024 1:09 am

Are the images from an iPhone by chance? If so, there are a number of articles explaining how Microsoft in particular ignores the EXIF info in images. When I encounter similar issues I use a utility to batch rotate and save them before uploading them.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iph ... side-down/

sushidog
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sushidog » Fri May 24, 2024 11:22 am

gsmela wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:09 am Are the images from an iPhone by chance? If so, there are a number of articles explaining how Microsoft in particular ignores the EXIF info in images. When I encounter similar issues I use a utility to batch rotate and save them before uploading them.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iph ... side-down/
yup, taken with an iphone, though only 2 of a dozen have this problem. I used picasa to see the exif data and there is an entry for Orientation that says "rotated 180 degrees". So I think if I can find a utility to edit or strip that entry, I'll have corrected the problem.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”