Contact form?

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Contact form?

Post by SocketPup » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 pm

So in my Joomla project, I'd like to have a contact form. Is there a built-in service in Joomla for this, or do I need to rely on extensions? Are there different types of contanct forms? I'm thinking email form, but maybe there are also forms that sends messages to Joomla admin? If there are several to pick from, which one(s) are the best? Would be great with something with built-in validation.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Contact form?

Post by gws » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

What's wrong with the default one?

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 pm

gws wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm
What's wrong with the default one?
I don't know, I'm asking =)

Sulpher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Sulpher » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm

If you will use com_contact - do not forget to enable Captcha. Maybe even HCaptcha.
Joomla! extensions & ecommerce pluginshttps://norrnext.com

Unofficial Joomla channel on Telegram - @joomlahub
Follow me on Twitter: @sulpher

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 pm

The core contact component:
https://magazine.joomla.org/all-issues/ ... ent-part-1

If you need advanced features, then you may need to consider a third-party contact extension. https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... ct%20forms

Joomla also has an inbuilt "Private Message" function as well, which could be used for messages between admins or other relevant users.
https://docs.joomla.org/Help4.x:Private_Messages
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:50 am

Sulpher wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm
If you will use com_contact - do not forget to enable Captcha. Maybe even HCaptcha.
It seems the Joomla built-in form may suffice for my needs, however Captcha is a good idea to use. Is there any good, free extension for this I can use with the built-in form?

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 am

AMurray wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 pm

If you need advanced features, then you may need to consider a third-party contact extension. https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... ct%20forms
I believe I'll go with Joomla's built-in form for now, I think it will cover my needs.
However, once I publish the site, how does it work with SMTP and so forth? Do I need to add this kind of information somewhere in Joomla admin in order for the form to work?

I have used phpMailer in the past in non-Joomla projects, and I recall having to fill out a bunch of things related to my webhost in order for it to work.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 am

You set up SMTP through Joomla global configuration mail settings. The form (any form) will then use that setting.

SMTP requires authentication, so you have to use the details your email provider (or web host) would give you. Those details can be typically found, for example in cPanel email settings, or any similar web host manager control panel. Or if using a third party email rather than one created on your hosting account, refer to the email provider for the SMTP information.
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 am

AMurray wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 am
You set up SMTP through Joomla global configuration mail settings. The form (any form) will then use that setting.

SMTP requires authentication, so you have to use the details your email provider (or web host) would give you. Those details can be typically found, for example in cPanel email settings, or any similar web host manager control panel. Or if using a third party email rather than one created on your hosting account, refer to the email provider for the SMTP information.
I think I got it. I was able to fill out all the fields in Joomla related to this by simply copy-pasting the info from the PhpMailer I use on another project. However, I guess I won't be able to actually test it until I publish the project on my webhost.

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Wed May 01, 2024 1:13 pm

Sulpher wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm
Which Captcha extension can you recommend? One that is compatible with the built-in Joomla form.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed May 01, 2024 9:47 pm

Any capture should work with the form. HCaptcha for instance as mentioned above.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/hcaptcha/

It works similarly to Google Recaptcha in that it has the "I'm not a robot" check box and comes up with the occasional random additional challenge.

There are many 'captcha' options. https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... 5D=captcha
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Thu May 02, 2024 4:41 pm

AMurray wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:47 pm
Any capture should work with the form. HCaptcha for instance as mentioned above.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/hcaptcha/

It works similarly to Google Recaptcha in that it has the "I'm not a robot" check box and comes up with the occasional random additional challenge.

There are many 'captcha' options. https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... 5D=captcha
Do you know if it's compatible with Joomla 5? I installed the extension and activated it. The Captcha box shows up in my form (though warning me the site is on localhost). It seems I can click the submit button without touching the captcha and the page refreshes. But this is just because it's on localhost, no?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm

Yes, it works on J5 and it should work with the built-in contact form.

This is the jed listing and as you can see is tagged as J3, J4 and J5. I'd assume it would behave the same way as on a live web host, but perhaps you're right; the local server is not live.

Did you put in the public and private keys? You need to create an account on the Hcaptcha website to generate those keys.
hcaptcha.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards - A Murray

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Fri May 03, 2024 2:51 am

AMurray wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:30 pm
Yes, it works on J5 and it should work with the built-in contact form.

This is the jed listing and as you can see is tagged as J3, J4 and J5. I'd assume it would behave the same way as on a live web host, but perhaps you're right; the local server is not live.

Did you put in the public and private keys? You need to create an account on the Hcaptcha website to generate those keys.

hcaptcha.jpg
Yes, I created an account and added both keys.
When using the Joomla built-in form, and you fill in the correct information and then hit submit (let's take away the captcha from this equation, this is the form behaviour in general), and the page refreshes, shouldn't there be a success-message "Email was sent" or the like? For me, the page just refreshes, but again, I am on localhost. Does the form behave this way on your end as well when submitting on localhost?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Fri May 03, 2024 9:50 am

If you don't have localhost set up to send email then probably yes, it won't send.

If you want to check that Joomla sends email generally, go back to the global configuration - email settings and click the button to send the test email message. The system should tell you if it succeeded or failed and so if that succeeds one can assume the contact form should too. But as you say this may well be because you're on localhost and don't have a mail server set up.

I don't use the contact form, so don't know what type of feedback you get - at a minimum I would expect a "thank you, your email has been sent" message, but I don't know for sure.
Regards - A Murray

guy_in_ohio
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by guy_in_ohio » Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm

If you ever decided to go with a paid extension, I highly recommend Convert Forms. Tassos has made forms super easy. https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/convert-forms/
Last edited by imanickam on Fri May 03, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Per the forum rules, changed the url of the extension from the developer's url to JED url. Please do not repeat this again in the future.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun May 05, 2024 8:51 am

guy_in_ohio wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:45 pm
If you ever decided to go with a paid extension, I highly recommend Convert Forms. Tassos has made forms super easy. https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/convert-forms/
There is also a free version of Convert Forms; it’s awesome and, following the latest update, doesn’t need the b/c plugin enabled on J5.1.0 :)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for MacOS with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”