Menues limited access? Topic is solved

General questions relating to Joomla! 5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Menues limited access?

Post by SocketPup » Fri May 03, 2024 4:00 am

I have a custom user group with limited access. For site modules, I can restrict access on some with permissions, while allowing it to others.
However, is there a way to do this for menues as well? I have 2 menues in my project: one Main Menu, and one for Socials. I want users of my custom user group to only be allowed to add/edit/remove items in the latter, while not being allowed to touch the Main Menu. But so far it seems I can only set permissions in the global settings, and it applies to ALL menues in the project. =/

Am I missing something?

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Menues limited access?

Post by SocketPup » Fri May 03, 2024 7:24 am

Can you please be more specific? None of the links you posted really brings up the specific issue. I already know how to create users and add them to groups.

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Fri May 03, 2024 9:10 am

I want users of my custom user group to only be allowed to add/edit/remove items in the latter, while not being allowed to touch the Main Menu.
How does any of the threads you posted adress this specific issue?

PoorRichard
I've been banned!

Post by PoorRichard » Fri May 03, 2024 9:21 am

I am sorry. I do not know the answer to your question.

Only users who have backend access to the website can add/edit/remove menu items. You can restrict what menus they can add/edit/remove items using access control lists (ACLs) but these users need to have backend access to the website.

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am

PoorRichard wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:21 am
I am sorry. I do not know the answer to your question.

Only users who have backend access to the website can add/edit/remove menu items. You can restrict what menus they can add/edit/remove items using access control lists (ACLs) but these users need to have backend access to the website.
Yes, I know this already. What I need to know is if I there is a way to allow permissions for ONE menu, while keeping the others restricted. As it is now, allowing permission for one menu allows it for all.

carlitorweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by carlitorweb » Fri May 03, 2024 3:55 pm

SocketPup wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:00 am
I have a custom user group with limited access. For site modules, I can restrict access on some with permissions, while allowing it to others.
However, is there a way to do this for menues as well? I have 2 menues in my project: one Main Menu, and one for Socials. I want users of my custom user group to only be allowed to add/edit/remove items in the latter, while not being allowed to touch the Main Menu. But so far it seems I can only set permissions in the global settings, and it applies to ALL menues in the project. =/

Am I missing something?
Just go to menus -> manage and set to each menu the permission for the groups
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The future will be automated, decentralized, and digital.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri May 03, 2024 5:43 pm

To display/hide a menu to/from a user group, edit the module for that menu. Select the 'Menu Assignment' tab accordingly https://docs.joomla.org/Help5.x:Site_Mo ... gnment_Tab

To display/hide a menu to/from a user group in admin is a different process and requires global permissions set correctly to start with. If you are wanting to limit seeing menus in admin I can type that out if you wish.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

SocketPup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by SocketPup » Sat May 04, 2024 5:53 am

carlitorweb wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:55 pm

Just go to menus -> manage and set to each menu the permission for the groups
Yes, that did the trick! Thank you!

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 5.x”