JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 5.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Post Reply
Oldfart55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Oldfart55 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 pm

Hello. I installed JCE and made it the default editor. But when I go to Articles and click on NEW, there is no Formatting panel on the article. It looks like the template's default editor. No font buttons, nothing. After five days of trying to figure this CMS out I've had nothing but headaches. Sure would appreciate some advise on this matter.

Thanks.

p.s. I am an old fart.

User avatar
Rondeb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: Meschede - Germany
Contact:

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Rondeb » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:23 am

Go to User --> Manage --> Find your user account.
Go to tab basic settings and see if it is on default, if so change it to JCE editor.
default.jpg
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 17229
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by toivo » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:48 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

When you start a new article, the edit form starts in the Content tab and the text 'Article Text'. The right corner of the next line shows dim words 'Editor', 'Code' and 'Preview'. Click 'Editor' and the JCE symbols will pop up.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 43880
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Webdongle » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:51 am

Oldfart55 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 pm
Hello. I installed JCE and made it the default editor. But when I go to Articles and click on NEW, there is no Formatting panel on the article. It looks like the template's default editor....
I'm another old fart. Did you install a 3rd party Admin Template?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Oldfart55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Oldfart55 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:15 pm

Rondeb wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:23 am
Go to User --> Manage --> Find your user account.
Go to tab basic settings and see if it is on default, if so change it to JCE editor.
default.jpg
:D


Thanks, it was not set on JCE. But after setting it to JCE I opened a new article and it still wasn't showing a formatting bar. In fact, I can't even get a curser in the editing box.

Oldfart55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Oldfart55 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:18 pm

toivo wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:48 am
Welcome to the Joomla forum!

When you start a new article, the edit form starts in the Content tab and the text 'Article Text'. The right corner of the next line shows dim words 'Editor', 'Code' and 'Preview'. Click 'Editor' and the JCE symbols will pop up.
Thanks...as I mentioned above, I can't even get a cursor in the editing box. I hate to think I make have to uninstall J5 and reinstall...maybe J4 this time.

Oldfart55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Oldfart55 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:19 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:51 am
Oldfart55 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 pm
Hello. I installed JCE and made it the default editor. But when I go to Articles and click on NEW, there is no Formatting panel on the article. It looks like the template's default editor....
I'm another old fart. Did you install a 3rd party Admin Template?
No, sir, I'm using the default template that came with J5.

User avatar
Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 30683
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Romerike, Norway

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:21 pm

You have the correct Editor set, but it cannot start for some reason. Check for js errors in your Browser's Developer Tools.

Oldfart55
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Oldfart55 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:27 pm

You have the correct Editor set, but it cannot start for some reason. Check for js errors in your Browser's Developer Tools.
I have no idea how to do that.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5804
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: South coast, UK
Contact:

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by gws » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:55 pm

Usually you can right click on the webpage and choose "inspect". I think you will find Dev tools very useful.

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 43880
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: JCE is Default Editor but not showing on Articles

Post by Webdongle » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:13 pm

Oldfart55 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:19 pm
...

No, sir, I'm using the default template that came with J5.
You said "But when I go to Articles and click on NEW, there is no Formatting panel on the article. It looks like the template's default editor".
So I asked "Did you install a 3rd party Admin Template?".
In other Words because you are working in Admin ... Autum is the Admin Template therefore did you install another admin Template?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".


Post Reply

Return to “Administration Joomla! 5.x”