Text Filters Won't Save

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 5.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Post Reply
jraebarlow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 pm

Text Filters Won't Save

Post by jraebarlow » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:35 pm

I have just converted an older site to Joomla 5. Site is running PHP 8.1. RSFirewall is disabled.
I am attempting to use JCE Editor, but when I save an article it strips all HTML out.

The advice I found was to Check the settings in Global Configuration / Text Filters. All users are set to "Default Forbidden List" If I reset the Super User to "No Filter" and click on SAVE, it does NOT change it. In fact, it will not Save a new setting for any user.

I have confirmed the situation does not change at all for various PHP versions, and I have confirmed proper settings for PHP variables. I have also already checked config.php and .htaccess for all things I got advice to remove/include as I researched this problem.

Any advice at what could be blocking me from saving the Text Filter settings? Or someway I can change it manually in the database?

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:39 am

Public, Guest and Registered are supposed to be set to No HTML. Super Users should be No Filtering. Everything else should be Default Forbidden List. The data are stored in the #__extensions table, com_config record, params field.

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:26 pm

ceford wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:39 am
Public, Guest and Registered are supposed to be set to No HTML. Super Users should be No Filtering. Everything else should be Default Forbidden List. The data are stored in the #__extensions table, com_config record, params field.
Here's what is in my params field:
{"filters":{"1":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"9":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"6":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"7":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"2":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"3":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"4":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"5":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"8":{"filter_type":"NONE","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""}}}
So filter_tags and filter_attributes are both empty across the board. What should they be?

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm

filter_tags and filter_attributes are normally empty - like the fields in the Text Filters tab of the Global Configuration form. Here is my params field content

Code: Select all

{"filters":{"1":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"9":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"6":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"7":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"2":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"3":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"4":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"5":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"8":{"filter_type":"NONE","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""}}}
What happens when you use the Tiny MCE editor? It has a setting to allow you to use the Joomla text filters.

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:38 pm

ceford wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:44 pm
filter_tags and filter_attributes are normally empty - like the fields in the Text Filters tab of the Global Configuration form. Here is my params field content

Code: Select all

{"filters":{"1":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"9":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"6":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"7":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"2":{"filter_type":"NH","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"3":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"4":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"5":{"filter_type":"BL","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""},"8":{"filter_type":"NONE","filter_tags":"","filter_attributes":""}}}
What happens when you use the Tiny MCE editor? It has a setting to allow you to use the Joomla text filters.
I realized how the db structure worked right after posting that... ;-)

I set the editor to Tiny MCE but still no luck, either with or without the use of Joomla text filters. Also as I mentioned in my other thread that you replied to, I also have tried disabling all 3rd party extensions and reinstalling the Joomla core. What else could it be?

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:50 am

From your descriptions it seems that the database table params has NONE for User Group 8 but the Text Filters table is showing Default Forbidden List for Super Users. Can you confirm that is so?

Have a look at the #__usergroups table where you will see the group id and parent_id values. Super Users has id 8 and parent_id 1.

Have a look at your own Profile. Are you assigned to any group as well as Super Users?

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:37 pm

ceford wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:50 am
From your descriptions it seems that the database table params has NONE for User Group 8 but the Text Filters table is showing Default Forbidden List for Super Users. Can you confirm that is so?
Yes to that.
ceford wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:50 am
Have a look at the #__usergroups table where you will see the group id and parent_id values. Super Users has id 8 and parent_id 1.

Have a look at your own Profile. Are you assigned to any group as well as Super Users?
No, there are only three users on the site and they are all Super Users only.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 pm

So the Text Filters form does not load what is in the database and changes are not saved. Inexplicable!

Check that there are not two entries for com_config in the $__extensions table. Have at a look at the database settings in the Global Configuration / Server form. Anything unusual there? I am wondering whether the table prefix matches the table you see in phpMyAdmin.

We occasionally see mod_security blocking form submissions. Hmmmm!

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:55 pm

ceford wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 pm
So the Text Filters form does not load what is in the database and changes are not saved. Inexplicable!

Check that there are not two entries for com_config in the $__extensions table.
Nailed it! Not only com_config but many others! What should I do? My first thought would be to delete all of the ones with higher ID numbers.
screen-grab- 2024-02-23 at 8.53.51 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:17 pm

Can you take another screenshot showing the column headers? My #__extensions table has five columns with integers beginning with client_id but I only see four columns in your screenshot.

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:14 pm

ceford wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:17 pm
Can you take another screenshot showing the column headers? My #__extensions table has five columns with integers beginning with client_id but I only see four columns in your screenshot.
Better?
screen-grab- 2024-02-23 at 12.13.59 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by ceford » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:41 am

I have some fields that are not shown in your screenshot. I guess that is because of the different history and the extra fields may be at the right of your table out of view in your screenshot. Check that you have fields named changelogurl and locked.

Take a database backup and site backup then bite the bullet!

Do you see any duplicate extensions with id values over 10000 in System / Manage / Extensions? If so, try to delete them there. The snag is that doing that might delete code used by the originals.

Otherwise - delete the duplicate database records with id values over 10000.

Your screenshot shows the records with id values over 10000 are not protected and 2/3 have no params. It would be really nice to know how they got created.

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:39 pm

ceford wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:41 am
I have some fields that are not shown in your screenshot. I guess that is because of the different history and the extra fields may be at the right of your table out of view in your screenshot. Check that you have fields named changelogurl and locked.

Take a database backup and site backup then bite the bullet!

Do you see any duplicate extensions with id values over 10000 in System / Manage / Extensions? If so, try to delete them there. The snag is that doing that might delete code used by the originals.

Otherwise - delete the duplicate database records with id values over 10000.

Your screenshot shows the records with id values over 10000 are not protected and 2/3 have no params. It would be really nice to know how they got created.
Nope, neiter changelogurl and locked nor in my table:
screen-grab- 2024-02-24 at 8.34.59 AM.jpg
I will just delete all of the duplicates with the high ID numbers and see what happens. I have a full backup of the site just in case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vincebodie
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Text Filters Won't Save

Post by vincebodie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:59 pm

Well that did it! First I removed the duplicate entry for com_config and I was able to save and edit articles, woohoo!

I then removed all of the duplicate entries which were all components (com_xxxx) and the site still functions just fine. All of the duplicates had empty params content, so it was pretty straightforward really. I checked the rest of the entries such as modules, packages, etc. and there were no duplicates, so the issue was with components only.

Also of note, the first duplicate had an ID number that fell just after the ID for the template (J51_Verona by Joomla51.com, ID #10000 in the table), and all previous IDs were three digits before the template was installed. I will forward this thread to them just in case they need to fix something on their end.
screen-grab- 2024-02-24 at 8.57.32 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Post Reply

Return to “Administration Joomla! 5.x”