Advertisement

Joomla core user mass email function: what about limits?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 5.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
oorzaak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla core user mass email function: what about limits?

Post by oorzaak » Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:34 am

Hi,

Never used the core Joomla mass email function before. For a new project it might be a handy solution. However, we expect the number of users to grow to a few hundreds in this site. Sending emails in such large numbers in one run may be a problem for the hosting. Yet do not see any configuration options for sending the mail in smaller batches over time - as you have in 3rd party extensions like AcyMailing.

Does this mean that the use of the mass email core extension is only intended for small groups of users? Or would it split a larger number in smaller batches automatically? I could not find any documention.

Kind regards, Frits

Advertisement
AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla core user mass email function: what about limits?

Post by AMurray » Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:10 pm

I see this being used for quick brief messages (it's not a Newsletter function).

See https://docs.joomla.org/Help4.x:Mass_Mail_Users

There's a related function for Private messages:
https://docs.joomla.org/Help4.x:Private ... :_Write/en

If you want a newsletter function then use ACYMailing or similar.

(documentation above references J4 but the function is the same for J5)
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

oorzaak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oorzaak » Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:02 am

Thanks for your reply. However, I may not have put my question clear: when I wrote that I could not find any documentation I specifically meant the handling of larger numbers in smaller batches; not a general documentation.

Maybe I should take the lack of documentation on this specific topic as an answer to my question: I suppose it means that there is not such an option in the user mass mail function.

And, yes, it would be intended for short messages, not as a newsletter function. Yet, considering the number of users that we expect I think this wil not be the solution in our case.

Frits

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:46 am

I'm thinking Joomla doesn't impose any limit - theoretically. As you have identified, it's more likely your web host or mail provider might have an issue with excessive bulk emails.

I wonder then can you do that with the existing ACL functionality.

Create user groups, as "child" of Registered, with the relevant users in each such as based on username:

Usernames starting with A-G, H-M, N-Q, R-Z or something like that.

Then send to each group "A-G", "H-M", "N-Q", "R-Z".

There's no real way I know of for instance, to schedule the messages either using the mass email function

But as you're concerned about message limits how many users are you talking about here - hundreds, or thousands?

Everything you're asking about could be found in a newsletter extension like ACYMailing.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

oorzaak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oorzaak » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:53 am

Hi,

We are talking about several hundreds, I would not expect to go up to 1000 (there might be a thousand users in total but not all of them will receive the same mailing).

I know that it would all be covered in AcyMailing or other newsletter extensions, those just seem way too complicated for what's needed in this situation.

Interesting suggestion about splitting the group in some other way, I'll keep that in mind.

oorzaak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oorzaak » Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:44 pm

Just to let you know: we are looking now at a custom script in which the actual sending of the emails is triggered by a cron job. In the script params we can set a limit of the number of mails per batch, and we could set the cron job to an time interval that suits us.

Which is, essentially, what is happening in AcyMailing, only without all the extra functionality that we do not need.

Advertisement

Return to “Administration Joomla! 5.x”