Trying to get J5 to post to a GMail address Topic is solved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 5.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Trying to get J5 to post to a GMail address

Post by HowieL » Mon May 27, 2024 5:32 am

In Global Configuration -> Server I have set up my gmail.com email address in both the From Email and the Reply to Email fields.
I've tried all of the three options: PHP Mail, Sendmail, SMTP to send a test email to my address, but nothing arrives.
Similar problem with outlook.com
Yes, I have checked the Spam bin :D

I have an email address on my web site which Joomla appears to obfuscate quite successfully, but that also does not work - it's an outlook.com address.

Any clues?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Trying to get J5 to post to a GMail address

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon May 27, 2024 5:44 am

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Tue May 28, 2024 1:34 am

Thanks for that. Do you know if a similar technique works for outlook.com? Obviously slightly different variables will apply.

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Tue May 28, 2024 4:47 am

I followed this and got as far as the bit about creating Application Specific Passwords by going to the bottom of the Security screen page - Nothing - Zip, Zero, Zilch - not a mention about ASPs. It appears the Google decided that ASP are not secure enough and so no longer support them. Don't you just love Google,,,!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue May 28, 2024 8:48 am

why not create an email account within your web hosting account. You could set up a "forward all" rule to forward messages to a Gmail account.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Thu May 30, 2024 1:42 am

It would really help if Joomla told me what it was, or wasn't, trying to do that Gmail was barfing on. Is this perhaps a Log Level issue in Joomla? If so, where to look? Joomla is so huge that it can be esoteric.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu May 30, 2024 3:22 am

docs.joomla.org/How_to_debug_SMTP_mail_in_Joomla_4

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:36 am

I've been trying to send the following logs as a diagnostic to investigate why email is not being sent.
Message totally gutted because the forum thinks it's spam

Code: Select all

2024-05-31T00:43:26+00:00       ERROR 110.141.219.107   mail    Error in Mail API: Result: true
Yes, I can see that there's an error in the Mail API - it tells me enough times - what it's not telling me is how to address the problem.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:06 am

Please ignore the text "Error in mail API", that is normal when debugging mail.

"Result: true" usually means that the email has been sent. If you would like to see a detailed SMTP dialogue with SMTP status codes, use SMTP as the Mailer. Remember to set up 2-Step Verification in the Gmail account and the ASP should then be available.

If the email has been sent and not received, usually the host restrictions block outgoing SMTP connections to external servers. Contact the support team of your host to get the right options.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:30 am

toivo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:06 am Please ignore the text "Error in mail API", that is normal when debugging mail.

"Result: true" usually means that the email has been sent. If you would like to see a detailed SMTP dialogue with SMTP status codes, use SMTP as the Mailer. Remember to set up 2-Step Verification in the Gmail account and the ASP should then be available.

If the email has been sent and not received, usually the host restrictions block outgoing SMTP connections to external servers. Contact the support team of your host to get the right options.
Having the error message showing, but needing to ignore it, is not exactly intuitive. Either there is an error or there isn't. Saying that there is an error but "ignore it" is a fundamental design fault.

I am my own hosting service with a static IP, so there is no blocking of outgoing email.

I'll follow up along the lines of the detailed SMTP analysis.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:49 am

Did you get this sorted out? I also have problem to get email from Joomla to Gmail.. hmm

HowieL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HowieL » Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:25 am

darb wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:49 am Did you get this sorted out? I also have problem to get email from Joomla to Gmail.. hmm
Almost. I still can't find where to get the ASP (Application Specific Password) that Google originally referred to, but are now suggesting "Contact with Google" instead.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 5.x”