MariaDB on XAMMP and MySQL on server

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 5.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
mirekjl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

MariaDB on XAMMP and MySQL on server

Post by mirekjl » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:57 pm

Hello. I have 4.4.3 Joomla site. My hosting is going to upgrade MySQL from version 5 to 8 soon. I made Akeeba backup, installed it on XAMMP and upgraded to Joomla 5. However, XAMMP uses MariaDB. Will it be ok when I make Akeeba backup on XAMMP (with MariaDB) and install it on a server with MySQL?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: MariaDB on XAMMP and MySQL on server

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:46 pm

Yes, it is relatively easy. It should be as simple (if not using Akeeba) as exporting from MySQL, and importing to a new MariaDB and vice versa. If using Kickstart to restore, then that should be simple too, nothing different, you just specify the database name and credentials as you normally would.

Rather than XAMPP which ties you to certain server software, I'd try using WAMPServer. (https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/).

That comes with MariaDB and MySQL -and you can add different versions of those databases as 'modules' and try out both server configs. The migration and switch of databases is easier to test before even getting near your live webhost - so try the Akeeba restore locally. You can also install, as modules, varying PHP versions, where XAMPP restricts you to (single) version shipped with the download package for XAMPP.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 5.x”