DirectPHP

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 5.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

DirectPHP

Post by davidascher » Thu May 23, 2024 5:58 pm

It appears that the extension "DirectPHP" has been found to be vulnerable and is now unpublished and added to the VEL. I cannot find any way to locate the developer now that all the info about this extension has been removed from the JED snd the url from where this extension used to be downloaded is either not functioning or no longer working.

What is the best way to find a similar extension to replace this? Or to locate the developer to check on their plans?

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: DirectPHP

Post by SharkyKZ » Thu May 23, 2024 6:26 pm

It can be replaced by migrating your PHP code to a proper extension. Embedding PHP code in articles is never a good idea.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu May 23, 2024 9:22 pm

davidascher wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:58 pm What is the best way to find a similar extension to replace this? Or to locate the developer to check on their plans?
Notwithstanding @SharkyKZ’s advice above, take a look at Regular Labs’ “Sourcerer” extension.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.1 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7 (with b/c plugin enabled)
Joomla 5.1.1 on XAMMP for MacOS with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28 (with b/c plugin enabled)

davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidascher » Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 pm

SharkyKZ wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:26 pm It can be replaced by migrating your PHP code to a proper extension. Embedding PHP code in articles is never a good idea.
I had been using Regular Labs "Sourcerer" extension for this purpose until I discovered DirectPHP which seemed to be a little easier to use. It sounds like you would advise against using "Sourcerer" as well. Can you explain what the issue is with embedded PHP in an article? It's not obvious to me.

Thanks

SharkyKZ
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by SharkyKZ » Wed May 29, 2024 8:53 am

I don't even know where to begin. I didn't think why storing executable PHP code in a database is a terrible idea would ever need an explanation. It's a whole can of worms relating to security, stability, debugging and maintainability. Just to give an example, anyone with author/editor rights can execute PHP code. Even Pro version, which offers "Advanced Security Settings", is not secure enough. Furthermore, it's wrong to have any sort of write logic in the presentation layer. It is very likely to fail in some cases, for example, with caching enabled. For your own sake you should take some time to read extension development documentation and migrate your code to a proper extension.

davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidascher » Thu May 30, 2024 8:48 pm

It sounds like you meant the issue to be putting PHP code into an article rather than putting PHP code in a database.

I have never worked with a Joomla site that allows numerous folks to add or alter content in articles. I understand that many Joomla sites are used by organizations where all the visitors to the site are all 'members' who must log in to even see the content and that many of them can provide/delete/modify content. I'm working at the opposite end, where there is typically one superuser (me) to take care of all the administrative stuff (maintaining users, extensions, updates, backups, troubleshooting, etc.) and one or possibly two users with only enough privileges to allow them to create and manage articles in a limited number of categories.

The risk of anybody misusing some php code that I've tucked into an article that only I can manage (but visitors can view), seems pretty minimal. I can understand your anxiety about this in the 'general' Joomla case, but in a very much restricted Joomla environment, I don't see the risk. I don't know how typical either extreme type of Joomla site is - and while I appreciate that Joomla can be used with such a wide range of management/usage scenarios, I hope I'm not missing something important about security.

davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidascher » Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:22 pm

SharkyKZ wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:53 am I don't even know where to begin. I didn't think why storing executable PHP code in a database is a terrible idea would ever need an explanation. It's a whole can of worms relating to security, stability, debugging and maintainability. Just to give an example, anyone with author/editor rights can execute PHP code. Even Pro version, which offers "Advanced Security Settings", is not secure enough. Furthermore, it's wrong to have any sort of write logic in the presentation layer. It is very likely to fail in some cases, for example, with caching enabled. For your own sake you should take some time to read extension development documentation and migrate your code to a proper extension.
I hope I didn't hit a raw nerve. If so, it was unintentional. AND I sincerely hope that you haven't decided to take revenge. One of the Joomla sites that I manage has been hacked pretty seriously both yesterday morning and this morning - and of course the hack involved the use of Sourcerer's "{source}" tag.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:47 pm

@davidascher
AND I sincerely hope that you haven't decided to take revenge.
non of your sites are mentioned ? What you have in an article is stored in the database. If you are not comfortable with hacks there is a service available from mysites.guru , I have no affiliation with that site, the first audit is free.

davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidascher » Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:08 pm

I should have indicated that my revenge remark was meant to be read in an ironic tone. I don't know if any emojis or shirt codes to use to indicate that.

The coincidence of the attack on the site in question and this conversation did result in a flicker of suspicion that I was being put in my place, but that was overwhelmed by my respect for those very knowledgeable folks who provide us dummies with invaluable info.

Matt Bourne
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Matt Bourne » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:48 pm

Have you tried to embed the code directly into this component and use the module to be embedded anywhere you wanted

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... r-scripts/
I use the powerful Joomla SP Page Builder from joomshaper.com in all my web projects

davidascher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by davidascher » Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:00 am

I'll have a look at it... I presume the php script resides in a file and gets included into the article or module at run time??

thanks for the pointer.

Matt Bourne
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Matt Bourne » Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:56 am

davidascher wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:00 am I'll have a look at it... I presume the php script resides in a file and gets included into the article or module at run time??

thanks for the pointer.
It's even simpler, just paste the php or js code into the component and you can load them in their module, which you can embed into anywhere like your article and so on

I did some PHP and MYSQL integration to manipulate the existing component into another new "component" or functions, like sorting the active member login based per days and weeks or creating an unique affiliate link for each member.. you're no longer bound to the Joomla strict coding and can use the pure core php scripts inside your website

That's my opinion as a newbie here :D
I use the powerful Joomla SP Page Builder from joomshaper.com in all my web projects

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 5.x”