Vote for Joomla Custom Fields with "repeatable Field Group"

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Pedro Olaia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.8.5

Post by Pedro Olaia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 am

When will Joomla have a "repeatable fields group"? It could work like this:

1. Admin will create a "fields group" in backend.
2. Admin will assign a number of fields to this "fields group".
3. In submission form users will be able to add unlimited number of "instances" of this group and submit information for each one.

It would be a normal "fields group" but in a way that one field group can be "added" by the user multiple times inside an article.

Does anyone know if "repeatable fields group" is going to exist in any next joomla release?

Thanks in advance for any tip!
Pedro,

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Pedro Olaia wrote:Does anyone know if "repeatable fields group" is going to exist in any next joomla release?
You are looking for the subform field (based on the previous repeatable field), and has been in core since 3.6.

Pedro Olaia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pedro Olaia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:40 pm

mbabker wrote:You are looking for the subform field (based on the previous repeatable field), and has been in core since 3.6.
Well...not really, I am looking for a simple button or checkbox located at the "Field Group edit interface" saying: [ Repeatable Group ] so I can click on it and automatically that group becomes repeatable at the articles interface also upon a simple click of a button, that could be something like a [+] button.

Something simple like that would be huge for joomla.

Where can we suggest features for joomla? I also did design a new lettering for the Joomla logo and I don't know where or to whom should I send it.

mbadker, Thank you very much for your answer. That solution is not what I wish in Joomla but it will solve my problem.

Pedro Olaia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Vote for Joomla Custom Fields with "repeatable Field Group"

Post by Pedro Olaia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:14 pm

I would like to know if anyone feels that Joomla is missing a simple solution to have an easy to set "repeatable fields group" for the Joomla's "Custom Fields".

Something like this:

1. Admin create a "Field Group" in articles.
2. Admin assign a number of fields to this "Field Group".
4. Admin have a simple button at this "Field Group" interface to set it as repeatable or not repeatable.
3. At the articles interface users will be able to add unlimited number of "instances" of this group and submit information for each one.
It would be a normal "Field Group" but in a way that one field group can be "added" by the user multiple times inside an article.

I don't know where we can post suggestions for joomla... so this forum seems ok to me!

If you, would like to see this feature in Joomla, please reply to this post with your thoughts or just a "Yes"... or a "No".

Let's vote! ;-)

Pedro Olaia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Vote for Joomla Custom Fields with "repeatable Field Group"

Post by Pedro Olaia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Big egos are not a good thing for nothing. Having no will to listen users that only want to support and make joomla better, is actuality a pretty stupid thing to do.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Pedro, submit your idea here perhaps. viewforum.php?f=575

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Your original post, before moved into this thread, made zero mention of an integration in com_fields. Just that you needed the possibility of a "repeatable field group", which exists as part of the form API. So, yes, technically the capability is there but not as part of custom fields ;)

As for making it part of custom fields, that's honestly not something that is as easy to do out-of-the-box (in some ways it's more difficult than a file upload field). Typically to do these types of field groups you have to have some associated JavaScript on the browser to handle dynamic add/remove rows and some kind of data processor to store that grouped data correctly (a common case where I use this type of field is to take that data and extract it into a new database table's rows). So more often than not you're going to need a custom coded solution for your workflow when you need a field group like this.

It shouldn't be difficult to add a fields plugin adding the capability. But the hard part is in the backend handling of the POST'd data.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”