Discuss Joomla! 3.9.14

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.9.14

Post by Webdongle » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm

SniperSister wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm

If non-security issues are reported, we either ask the reporter to create a public issue or create that public issue ourselves.
Your post suggested otherwise
SniperSister wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm
The Joomla security team does fix such issues when they are reported, primarily to demonstrate security researchers that their reports are valued and give them a positive experience, encouraging them to follow our reporting procedure in the future too. ...
Perhaps I have misread the posts but it appears that JSST fixed a non security issue without a public issue being created?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

SniperSister
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SniperSister » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Perhaps I have misread the posts but it appears that JSST fixed a non security issue without a public issue being created?
Full Path Disclosures are security relevant – so the issue fixed as a security implication. One can just discuss how important these issues are, just as we are doing here right now.
Joomla! Community Leadership Team

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:46 pm

For a minor dot-point release, J! 3.9.14 has turned the spotlight on the process (as opposed to the specific changes) involved with bringing about new releases for J! and for that I am grateful.

To those who may feel uncomfortable with discussions like these, I would respectfully ask you to deal with these matters in a mature way. There are lots of discussions people have that are awkward, uncomfortable or unsettling but there are important discussions that we need to have. We can't simply ignore some things and hope they'll simply disappear by virtue of not discussing them; that's just wishful thinking. In having these discussions and disagree, perhaps, with the views expressed by those involved in the conversation, we can move through the issues.

One might compare the Joomla forum as Joomla for Dummies—(subtitled) the "resource for the rest of us"—because the canon work (i.e. GitHub) is technical, "nuanced" and requires considerable skill to comprehend it. If taken at face value, GitHub conversations are more blunt and matter-of-fact and, to the casual reader, could appear to be more "uncomfortable" that what we read on the forum. However, that's a conversation we could have another time.

Thank you, @mbabker, for taking the time and making the effort to summarise for "the rest of us" what has transpired behind the scenes. Aside from a couple of none-too-subtly-worded assessments about the behaviour of some individual team members in the production team, I appreciate your candour which, in my view, was not motivated by revenge but written as a way of highlighting what you see as procedural flaws within the system.

Let me also be clear: no-one is accusing anyone of incompetence. Let's take that notion off the table. I agree with @brian that the purpose of these conversations is to deal with the substance of the issues as opposed to characterising anyone, specifically or otherwise, making their views known.

I disagree with the view that it's better to bite-one's-tongue in public (or, worse, publicly praise while privately negatively criticising) about how the project is managed. If there are matters to be argued then let's argue them sensibly and drop the hysteria.

SniperSister wrote:
I have no issues if [our disagreement is] communicated publicly. However, the way how that disagreement is being communicated within this thread and on other channels (twitter, github) isn't acceptable for me.
Well, for "the rest of us", the forum is our life—our primary means of communicating with one another—and if that doesn't fit well with your opinion then I won't attempt to convince you otherwise. I would only ask you to remember that we're not all privy to the conversations that exist outside this forum and I would ask you to understand that we're not here to criticise for criticism's sake.

SniperSister wrote:
Raising completely unfounded concerns about the release, questioning my teams competence, calling them idiots and personally attacking them is exactly that sort of behaviors that's demotivating people and driving them away as contributors.
Perhaps there are or there are not matters of concern to you but, I repeat, no-one is calling anyone's competence into question. No-one, to my knowledge, is making assaults on other people's intelligence.

As far as keeping one's team positively motivated, that's the manager's job. The team manager's job is to nurture the team, protect it from external threats, and get the job done. It's "Management 101".

There has been one positive outcome from this discussion (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=976546&start=60#p3590053) and I look forward to a follow-up on the matters contained therein. :)

(Nearly at the end.) I'm one of a handful of people who read the team reports from the various departments. With the occasional exception, those reports often prove the adage, "Meetings are events where the minutes are kept and the hours are lost." I am thankful for the opportunities we have on the J! forum to discuss—disagree if we must—in order to learn and, in the process of learning, have a better appreciation about the people who contribute their time to make our webcraft better. Every volunteer-run association has its odd character, someone who just doesn't seem to fit with our notion of normal, but that doesn't make their contribution is any less valuable. It's only when the odd-ball tries to dominate the agenda when it may become necessary to muzzle them. ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:51 pm

If it's because of a PHP issue such as seen with 7.4 then no it doesn't always require debug to be enabled etc
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

hehemrin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hehemrin » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:04 pm

I will continue to follow the discussion here, e.g. how to handle various changes, and more. Best wishes for the continuation for a fruitful dialogue. Thanks for contributions so far that have helped me to understand Joomla incl. its org. better.

Regarding this specific release, I have come to my conclusion that I go for update to the latest release (from 3.9.13 to 3.9.14) on my three sites. This update (as well as the extensions prior to Joomla update) went well. I have not detected any issue how the frontend nor backend works for the user or visitor.
Best regards
Henrik Hemrin
My personal web site: https://hemrin.com

bruno28
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bruno28 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:29 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 pm
> Merry Christmas to those who celebrate the festivity

Thank you for recognising that it is not a holiday or festival for all the joomla community
Merry Christmas too, even a little late

Peace on you, your family and all the Joomla community

God bless you
Cordialement, Bruno28 :)
Joomla! 3.9.15 - php 7.3
https://www.bp2i.fr/ - https://www.moneglisesurle.net/

Return to “Announcements Discussions”