Discuss Joomla! 3.9.0

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
JJSJJS
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Thanks a lot !

Post by JJSJJS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi,

i just wanna say thanks a lot for the hard work you all have done for who have contributed to this great Joomla 3.9.0 version! :)

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.9.0

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm

I've updated a few of my websites to J! 3.9.0; so far so good (and, no, this update hasn't "broken" anything because—like all good members of the community—I keep my websites up-to-date with the latest versions of Joomla and extensions).

There are a couple of interesting new features that I'm keen to explore. One, in particular, is the Action Log feature; this has given me an idea to create a module for the backend to display the last n entries on the control panel (i.e. the first page one sees when logging in to the backend). :)

The privacy policy parts are still unknown to me at the moment. I'll need to explore the documentation to see how they work, what new plugins need to be enabled, etc.

Of course with a new version that contains as many additions as J! 3.9.0 contains, the forum will be very active for the next couple of weeks with the usual raft of "I just updated from J! 3.4.8 to J! 3.9.0 and now my website doesn't work at all ... please help" questions. No different, really, to any other situation where people have (in effect) abandoned their website maintenance responsibilities and failed to keep pace with the changes that have occurred in Joomla over the years. And, of course, we'll have the nay-sayers—people who will blame all of their problems on the update (or the failure to be able to update)—instead of looking closer to home at their webhosting environments, the changes that have occurred as the result of old versions of PHP reaching their end-of-life and their lack of appreciation for the fact that Joomla is not a three-clicks-hey-presto-it-works-every-time site contruction foundation (and the fact that it's totally free!).

So, to all the people who developed J! 3.9.0 and tested it: well done, people. Yes, we'll probably find a few problems with J! 3.9.0 and they'll be fixed soon enough. Thanks. 8)

CyrusXxX
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CyrusXxX » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:28 pm

I have just noticed that plugins User - Terms and Conditions and Content - Confirm Consent do not have multilingual support as I can select only one article for Terms and consent part. Other than that no issues at all.

Thank you Joomla team for bringing us on new levels with every new version!
Joomla Serbian Latin Coordinator
https://volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/ ... oran-nesic

Power is knowledge and knowledge is power.
https://regenesiscomputers.com

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:01 am

sozzled wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm
There are a couple of interesting new features that I'm keen to explore. One, in particular, is the Action Log feature; this has given me an idea to create a module for the backend to display the last n entries on the control panel (i.e. the first page one sees when logging in to the backend). :)
...which you will, of course, share with the community ;)

sozzled wrote:
The privacy policy parts are still unknown to me at the moment. I'll need to explore the documentation to see how they work, what new plugins need to be enabled, etc.
I've "gone live" with the "privacy" and "action log" features and they seem to work well. I like the fact that the "create request" functionality is for registered users only, but I'd like to find a way to make the menu-item publicly viewable and when clicks takes the viewer to the login form then redirect to the "create request" form. Might investigate using redirects for that.

Not sure if I need the T&C functionality yet; need to reflect on that.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this release; absolutely no issues whatsoever which is testament to the devs and the testers. Love the "Invisible Re-Captcha" - superb 8)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm still trying to work out the invisible recaptcha. I put in the keys and get
"This site key is not enabled for the invisible captcha"
But it's the same as the other recaptcha.

Just generated a new key
Last edited by Webdongle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm

You must create new key for recaptcha v3
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

pmleconte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by pmleconte » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:08 pm

ribo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm
You must create new key for recaptcha v3
Nope, it's a new V2 key where you have to set "invisible" option.

Pascal
If anything can go wrong, it will.
https://www.conseilgouz.com/en

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:53 pm

It's been an interesting couple of days that I've spent looking into all of the additional functionality in J! 3.9.0. I'm taking things quietly. For the most part, however, the actual update process is seamless and painless. Most of the "u-beaut features"—the ones that have occupied many of the contested debates on this forum—are disabled by default and therefore there are no adverse consequences in going ahead and taking the leap into J! 3.9.

So, while the process of going from J! 3.8.13 to J! 3.9.0 is about 15 minutes or so (including the time involved in making a site backup beforehand, of course), the total investment of time to enable and deploy the new features could take a while longer per site.

JAVesey wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:01 am
sozzled wrote:
As a published author of several Joomla extensions on the JED, I will, of course, share my work with the community in the same way as I have done over the years. ;)

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm

sozzled wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:53 pm
As a published author of several Joomla extensions on the JED, I will, of course, share my work with the community in the same way as I have done over the years. ;)
Didn't doubt it for a minute :D

I think I've implemented everything now (User Actions Log, Privacy Tools, Invisible Re-Captcha) with the exception of the T&C stuff which I don't think I need. I haven't had a problem with anything not working "straight out of the box", just a minor query which I've posted about here:
viewtopic.php?f=706&t=966856

This isn't a fault/error, just a preference on my part ;)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:37 pm

There are some CSS-related issues involving the modal anchor tag associated with J! 3.9.0's active consent plugins that will affect people who use third-party Bootstrap-based templates. See https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/22926 and the broader discussion at https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/22908.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 am

Finished updating my websites to J! 3.9.0. No dramas updating these sites (the update process was seamless and successful); it's after you update the site and decide how to implement the additional new features (for the most part they're disabled by default) where you may run into strife.

A few niggling issues surrounding CSS with some form labels—I've mentioned these previously in this topic—as well as one or two defects that haven't been fixed (yet). I reported a new bug today and although I've read many suggestions about how to resolve the problem I haven't seen a real solution yet.

Thanks and cheers. Special thanks to @Webdongle who offered his help.

WolferGiga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WolferGiga » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 pm

We have noticed on at least two sites now that after updating to Joomla 3.9, the site no longer pays any heed to template assignments. They always seems to use the default template no matter what. One site was using Gantry 5 based templates, another is using Gantry 4. Both template libraries are up to date. We have tried re-saving the templates, eliminating cache, and some other things. Currently checking to see if there's any plugins causing an issue, but so far no luck.

Edit: The issue goes away when Search Engine Friendly URLs are disabled in the Joomla Global Configuration. I assume this means the issue may lay in the router file for something on this site, or somehow the system is 'forgetting' which itemID it is on when SEF URLs are being used (yet oddly all other module assignments work fine).

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Question for @WolferGiga: do you have routing set to Modern or Legacy (when you have SEF URLs enabled)? Do you also have SEF URL rewrite enabled in your .htaccess file?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:56 am

JAVesey wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:01 am
sozzled wrote:
Further to this, I don't need to write this module: it already exists!
  1. Go to Extensions » Modules and select "Administrator" from the filter
  2. Press the New button
  3. On the list of available modules, select Action Logs Latest from the list
  4. Provide a suitable title for this module such as "Action Logs Latest", assign to the template position (in Isis) = cpanel
  5. Save
Now go to the control panel and you will see the latest entries in the action log. Easy! 8)

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

sozzled wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:56 am
Further to this, I don't need to write this module: it already exists!
8)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK

WolferGiga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WolferGiga » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:04 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:16 pm
Question for @WolferGiga: do you have routing set to Modern or Legacy (when you have SEF URLs enabled)? Do you also have SEF URL rewrite enabled in your .htaccess file?
Routing is set to Legacy, and the rewriting is set up as per usual in the .htaccess file.

WolferGiga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WolferGiga » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm

It seems as far as we can tell the culprit in this case was the "plg_system_koowa" plugin as disabling it allows the assigned templates to display as expected. I believe that's one of DOCman's required background plugins. We were running DOCman 2.1.6 still (instead of moving to DOCman 3) due to the client not liking any sort of interface changes if at all possible, but we'll have to test to see if the issue goes away after moving to DOCman 3.3. If so they'll just have to deal with the minor interface changes.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:28 pm

WolferGiga wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm
It seems as far as we can tell the culprit in this case was the "plg_system_koowa" plugin as disabling it allows the assigned templates to display as expected. I believe that's one of DOCman's required background plugins. We were running DOCman 2.1.6 still (instead of moving to DOCman 3) due to the client not liking any sort of interface changes if at all possible, but we'll have to test to see if the issue goes away after moving to DOCman 3.3. If so they'll just have to deal with the minor interface changes.
It will go away for sure...Always keep the extensions up to date. Doing so avoids you getting stuck in these kind of issues

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Announcements Discussions”