Discuss Joomla! 3.9.3

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.9.3

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 pm

The txt file is only a template and is not an active file. .htaccess is the active file.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 pm

@tezzerp: again, I say to you, you are different to everyone else. Your problems are completely different to everyone else's situation.

This topic is a general discussion about J! 3.9.3. This discussion is not the place to find specific answers to specific situations.

Let me summarise your problems:

1) There is no need to modify the file named htaccess.txt file. This is not a "real" file that does anything. This is a "template" file that people can use—they can rename it—on Apache webservers.

2) Apache web servers will process files named .htaccess

3) If you have files named .htaccess.old or .htaccess.something or .htacess or .htacces or .freddofrog, these files will not be used by Apache.

4) I asked you to provide information about the "25 locations within the Joomla installation" that you seemed to be worried about. You have not provided any information about these "25 locations". If this was important to you then you would have provided some information. We cannot guess what these "25 locations" may be.

5) You say that you have "many .htaccess files". That may be true and, if you know how .htaccess works on an Apache webserver, there may be good reasons why you have more than one .htaccess file. Under normal conditions, a website will only have one .htaccess file (located in the top-level folder used by the J! website, i.e. located in the same folder where there is the file configuration.php) but there may be other reasons—other conscious decisions taken by you—to create other files named .htaccess in sub-folders of the top-level folder. Again, that's not a general issue; that's a specific case that would need to be examined separately from this discussion.

6) I am surprised when you wrote that you created a separate discussion topic to ask about your problems and that topic was "moved" into this discussion by someone (one of the forum moderators, that is). As a result, this general discussion (that should be about matters that may impact the general population in the J! community) has been, in my opinion, unnecessarily diverted into dealing with issues that affect one person.

7) If you were actually answering our questions, to explain what you meant by
tezzerp wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
I have about 25 of each, so thats 50 in total
then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Each (of what)? 50 (of what) in total? What are you talking about? Please use specific words, complete sentences, and be clear in what you're trying to describe. We can only guess what you're trying to describe.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:10 am

I had to laugh when I read this on Twitter:
btquote.png
To which I replied
I wonder how many #joomla developers have seen the lengthy forum discussions that novice users have had with the notice? But, to address the question, I followed the advice and implemented the recommendations. All good here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

sozzled wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:10 am
I had to laugh when I read this on Twitter:

btquote.png

To which I replied
I wonder how many #joomla developers have seen the lengthy forum discussions that novice users have had with the notice? But, to address the question, I followed the advice and implemented the recommendations. All good here.
The comments that followed were amusing, but prompted some action.

Brian is a man of few words, but nearly all of them significant :)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.10

tezzerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tezzerp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:22 am

sozzled wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 pm
@tezzerp: again, I say to you, you are different to everyone else. Your problems are completely different to everyone else's situation.

This topic is a general discussion about J! 3.9.3. This discussion is not the place to find specific answers to specific situations.

Let me summarise your problems:

1) There is no need to modify the file named htaccess.txt file. This is not a "real" file that does anything. This is a "template" file that people can use—they can rename it—on Apache webservers.

2) Apache web servers will process files named .htaccess

3) If you have files named .htaccess.old or .htaccess.something or .htacess or .htacces or .freddofrog, these files will not be used by Apache.

4) I asked you to provide information about the "25 locations within the Joomla installation" that you seemed to be worried about. You have not provided any information about these "25 locations". If this was important to you then you would have provided some information. We cannot guess what these "25 locations" may be.

5) You say that you have "many .htaccess files". That may be true and, if you know how .htaccess works on an Apache webserver, there may be good reasons why you have more than one .htaccess file. Under normal conditions, a website will only have one .htaccess file (located in the top-level folder used by the J! website, i.e. located in the same folder where there is the file configuration.php) but there may be other reasons—other conscious decisions taken by you—to create other files named .htaccess in sub-folders of the top-level folder. Again, that's not a general issue; that's a specific case that would need to be examined separately from this discussion.

6) I am surprised when you wrote that you created a separate discussion topic to ask about your problems and that topic was "moved" into this discussion by someone (one of the forum moderators, that is). As a result, this general discussion (that should be about matters that may impact the general population in the J! community) has been, in my opinion, unnecessarily diverted into dealing with issues that affect one person.

7) If you were actually answering our questions, to explain what you meant by
tezzerp wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 am
I have about 25 of each, so thats 50 in total
then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Each (of what)? 50 (of what) in total? What are you talking about? Please use specific words, complete sentences, and be clear in what you're trying to describe. We can only guess what you're trying to describe.
I am so sorry I thought this was a forum where I could ask questions. If you read my last posts you would see that I sorted it and understood what was required.
Thank you for bearing with me. Yes I had only one txt file but many .htaccess files
I have now edited the txt file as required
Sorry to be a numpty
Terry

I did create an individual post but it was moved to here.
It must be so boring knowing everything.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:21 am

More about the configuration directive 'Header' in the .htaccess file, introduced in 3.9.3:

Code: Select all

## Suppress mime type detection in browsers for unknown types
<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header always set X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff"
</IfModule>
Please note that we have a recent topic viewtopic.php?f=710&t=970137 about either the web server or the template framework assigning incorrect MIME type 'text/x-js' to cached javascript files. The new Header directive enables strict MIME type checking, which causes javascript errors, breaking the webpage. After the Header line was commented out the errors disappeared and the page returned to normal.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
troubleshooting smtp and other articles http://talikka.com/joomla

Return to “Announcements Discussions”