Content Encoding Error - Problem Resolved

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Locked
StillSmiling
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:04 pm

Content Encoding Error - Problem Resolved

Post by StillSmiling » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:51 pm

First, let me apologize for being so longwinded. I have been searching for a solution for my problem, but the answer is alluding me. I am getting the following error on certain pages of my website:

Content Encoding Error (content_encoding_error)
Server response could not be decoded using encoding type returned by server. This is typically caused by a Web Site presenting a content encoding header of one type, and then encoding the data differently.

I googled this error, and I found this (which I believe is closest towhat I'm dealing with):
http://forums.bluecoat.com/viewtopic...7198b97d284640

I went to Web Sniffer to review the HTTP Request and Response Header, but I'm unsure of what would constitute "verification" that this is in fact my problem, since I can't see any difference between my working urls and my problem urls. (ie. "This one thing is not like the others" doesn't hold true... or else, I just can't see the forest thru the trees...  :-[)

The only real solution that I've found was this:
There is no "fix" on the proxy for this behavior as the web server is behaving incorrectly. However, in the specific scenario described above, if you want to allow the content from the web server to be delivered to the user you can implement the following policy based workaround. This workaround removes the header in the client request indicating that the client can receive encoded content and instead forces the server to respond with the file in its original form.

url.domain=site.com action.delete_accept_encoding(yes) http.server.accept_encoding(no)

**But I'm unsure of what this actually is/does and where I'm supposed to put this code. Could someone please shed some light on this for me. I keep reading that it is a "fairly common problem", but I can't seem to find a "fairly common solution" for it.

Much Thanks for your help!

*** PROBLEM RESOLVED***
I went back thru my Global Configuration settings looking for anything which would affect my header. After verifying that my host did indeed support GZIP page compression, I changed GZIP Compression from "NO" to "Yes".  This is allowing the troubled pages to finally show in IE6.  They still load with the little yellow error sign in the bottom left corner, but I'm content for now.
Last edited by ranwilli on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locked

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”