Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

This forum is for the Joomla! 1.5 template contest, where people can post their templates.
tonygillham
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Template Contest Entry - [fivepoint/unity]

Post by tonygillham » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:40 pm

I also put in a link at the bottom.

BTW problem was caused by having two seperate menus on the same page linking to the same category blog.  :-[

This is a great template BTW - did I mention that before? :)

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Thank you Tony.  I'm hoping to reciprocate some of these links within a "template showcase" on my site - I think it's nice for folks to be able to see the templates in "real world" websites rather than rigid demos :)
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

derekh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by derekh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 pm

doh! I'll fix that tonite. A "template showcase" is a wonderful idea!

On another note, can you explain why trying to publish two  modules, one a menu and the other custom html - one line of text - causes a trainwreck effect?

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:00 pm

No idea...can you post a screenshot of what you mean?
http://toolboxdigital.com - Front-end development for ExpressionEngine, WordPress & Joomla

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:09 am

derekh wrote: Dan-

I must say that I enjoy working with this template more than I have with those from the club I joined. Thank you for making such a good piece of work GNU GPL!

I had good luck swapping out the header images and I have been playing around with changes to the sIFR text and I really like the way that works. One question: how can I change the color/size of the site slogan? I was mucking around in the css file but couldn't make it work. I was changing siteslogan. See how I did  so far at http://www.aWeddingPainter.com.

Thank you for adding the typography page to the demo site. Stuff like that is very helpful to those of us who cant read style sheets. It would be even more helpful if there were some way to have a list/example of each class in the template. I know that's a lot to ask for a free template. But it could really be a differentiator if a guy were to sell templates...nudge,nudge,wink,wink...

Thanks again, I hope you take the contest!

-derek
That's a very nice looking site Derek. I don't normally like dark themes but you've made it work really well here! Well done.

I like the header image swapping, I hadn't even considered that functionality. Nice.

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

derekh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by derekh » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks pete.
Dan, I fixed the link.

-derek

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Cheers Derek.

Can I ask, what is the gallery component you are using on the site?

derekh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by derekh » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Phoca gallery.

GroceryPriceBooks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by GroceryPriceBooks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:59 pm

H0w1tz3r wrote: I was having a problem with Polls as well. I uninstalled all of RC3 and then they worked. Not a great suggestion of how to fix it, but it did work for me.
Can you tell me what this is and how to do it? I am new to the whole joomla world and I am having this Poll issue. The original one showed up but the one I made did not. I don't know what RC3 is... Thank You

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:52 am

"RC3" is the latest (officially) release of Joomla! 1.5, and you can download it here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... ge_id=2892.

There are newer versions available via the SVN & nightly builds in the developer section, but most of the templates here will be optimized for use in RC3.

BoardBoss
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by BoardBoss » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi - I found a few issues that prevent me using an other great template. Both are confirmed in FF2 and IE7.

1) The right column does not auto collapse, even though the selection is made for that to occur: Right Column auto-collapse  Yes. When I see this issue with  tbc_fivepoint_unity, immediately setting the default template to rhuk_milkyway, then refreshing the page, collapses the template's right column (as expected) in that template.

2) I have a menu item that points to a Category List Layout. The spacing using the rhuk_milkyway template has a space/gap between '#' and 'Article' (#  Article Title), and that continues with each number and Article Title. The spacing using tbc_fivepoint_unity does NOT have a space/gap between '#' and 'Article' (#Article Title), and that continues with each number and Article Title.

3) When editing the template, I see the message The Parameter-File /templates/tbc_fivepoint_unity/params.ini is Unwritable! Changes made are written to the params.ini file. The default permissions on the tbc_fivepoint_unity's params.ini file are 555. The default permissions on rhuk_milkyway's params.ini file are 644. That is the same as several others I checked. If I change them to 644 via FTP, they revert back to 555 even if no changes are made to the file within the Joomla admin panel.

Best regards,
Jay

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:13 pm

1) this has been covered numerous times and is detailed in the FAQ on the demo, but I'll repeat it again :) - RIGHTCOL will ONLY collapse when there is:

a) nothing assigned to the RIGHT position, and;
b) nothing is assigned to the SYNDICATE position and;
c) template params for auto-collapse is set to yes.

Please check your assignments for these conditions.

2) I will need to look into this, should be a simple fix.

3) This has come up before and I have no idea what causes it.  The file is just zipped as normal as part of the package.  I can't see why anything would change it's perms.  If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.  As far as I know it does not actually stop you from saving the settings correctly (regardless of what the message says).

Dan

BoardBoss
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by BoardBoss » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Dan L wrote: 1) this has been covered numerous times and is detailed in the FAQ on the demo, but I'll repeat it again :) - RIGHTCOL will ONLY collapse when there is:

a) nothing assigned to the RIGHT position, and;
b) nothing is assigned to the SYNDICATE position and;
c) template params for auto-collapse is set to yes.

Please check your assignments for these conditions.

Maybe I should have been more specific, but there is nothing assigned to the right position, nothing assigned to the syndicate position (even did it if I disabled syndicate), auto-collapse set to yes. As I mentioned in my original post, changing to the default template and just refreshing the page made the article text appear as it should.

2) I will need to look into this, should be a simple fix.

I agree. I probably could have fixed it in my install, but of course that wouldn't help others. If you get busy, let me know and I'll locate where the change needs to happen.

3) This has come up before and I have no idea what causes it.  The file is just zipped as normal as part of the package.  I can't see why anything would change it's perms.  If anyone can shed any light it would be appreciated.  As far as I know it does not actually stop you from saving the settings correctly (regardless of what the message says).

I'll see what I can do to help narrow this down. It is very strange that it reverts even if no changes are made to the file.

You're welcome! :-)

Dan

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Hello Jay,

1) I cannot find any issues here.  I tested on a default install, set params to auto collapse, disabled all right & syndicate mods, refreshed the page and sure enough the rightcol collapses.  If you get a different behaviour it would be good to see a URL if possible.

2) A little odd that these cells for the article number are not center-justified, that doesn't make much sense :)  Anyway fix with these lines in template.css:

Code: Select all

.sectiontableentry1 td,
.sectiontableentry2 td,
td.sectiontableheader {padding: 0 5px}
3) If you find anything out regarding this please do let me know.  I will continue to test also.
Last edited by Dan L on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoardBoss
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by BoardBoss » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi Dan,

I sent you the URL via IM. Since the 1.5 part of the site isn't done yet, I didn't want to make it publicly available yet.

Cheers,
Jay

nrigo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nrigo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi Dan,

I just put my first Joomla! 1.5 site online Today: http://www.spotenergie.ch (sorry, site language is french).

The site owner has to work on the content and I will have to illustrate it, but I'm already very glad of the result with your template and he is too.  :)

I solved the poll title problem. In fact... I was running RC2 on the server when it appears.

I'm waiting the final release to activate SEO as there is some bugs with submenus elements.

I just removed the 508 link in the footer as it didn't work (404 error).

Good luck again for the contest and best regards,

Nico
Nicolas Rigollet

fuct_duffs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fuct_duffs » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:49 pm

hey,

first of all - this template is teriffic,
i've really had fun playing about with it:)

unfortunately i'm a bit stuck on the sIRF side of things.
going from an earlier post i went to http://www.fontsmack.com to change the fonts you've included,
perhaps i'm missing something - but they all seem to download as .ttf - is there a program out there which converts them to .swf ?
or another place to get .swf fonts?  or am i just being dumb?

-derekh- i really like what you've done & maybe you could advize how i can successfully make these changes :-[

thanks,
[hopefully this isnt regarded as being too far off topic]

much obliged.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 am

@Nico: nice work, looks great!  And no need to apologize for being in French  :laugh:

@fact_duffs: you are following the wrong download link, don't get the TrueType version, go for the links above (full/basic character set) - these are the SWFs you need.

Dan

fuct_duffs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fuct_duffs » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:08 am

:-[ dunno what i was thinking last night!

okay - i have a couple more silly questions..
is it possible to change the colour of the sIRF fonts? [- or switch between black & white]
& what about the shadow - can it be removed/changed?

thanks.

derekh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by derekh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:26 am

fuct_duffs wrote:   :-[ dunno what i was thinking last night!

okay - i have a couple more silly questions..
is it possible to change the colour of the sIRF fonts? [- or switch between black & white]
& what about the shadow - can it be removed/changed?

thanks.

Dan would best be able to answer, but from what I can tell those kinds of attributes come from the style sheet. I don;t know enough about CSS to change it so I didn't try.

Thanks for the compliment...
-derek

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Not sure if this is a template issue or not but I use the custom code module from joomlaspan to put a php countdown timer in. This all works fine but when I span it with a typography style I get the frame colour around the edge of the template as shown in the attched image number 1. This is ok in Firefox but occurs in IE 6 & 7

Also I get a gap at the top of the template in iE 6 and  7 as well but not in firefox. shown in image 2

hope you understand this :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Do you have a URL to the live site?

bodmin636
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bodmin636 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Unfortuenately this is on a local test site  :-\

JHM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JHM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:28 pm

I like this template but I need a wider component area. Need that for my photoalbum but haven't found a way to do it without messing it all up.  Can it be done without to much pain?

cheers, //J

EDIT. Solved I think it will work to hide all menus I had in left column. No need to have them when I have the top menu.
Last edited by JHM on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan L
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dan L » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 pm

...and I was just about to explain how to modify the whole width...phew  :laugh:

freetemplate
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by freetemplate » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:38 pm

:)all these templates are so good!very very thanks!
http://joomlatp.com :free joomla templates,free joomla themes,free joomla 1.5 templates

jnyost
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jnyost » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:01 am

Template doesn't seem to like placeholder menus real well.  Any time I add one it overlaps the stars in the menu.

Thanks

JHM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JHM » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:43 pm

I'm stuck again with my photoalbum. I found this lovely JAlbum that I would like to use wrapped in a full width iframe.
How can I make a wrapper module as full width in this theme?

cheers, /J
Edit: Solved this one too... :o, It was so simple I didn't understand the Swedish translation in my Joomla installation. Everyone knows what a wrapper is but "omslag"!!! Well, ok, it makes sense, I'm simply just tired when I try to these things late in the evening.
Last edited by JHM on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHoover
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: pdf in articles

Post by WHoover » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi! Thanks for the great work. I noticed that in a few templates when you look at an article and click the pdf icon it shows the graphics in the pdf. Your template does this. Other templates when you click the pdf icon in an article it only shows the text, even if graphics are present. What causes the difference? Is there a setting somewhere? Some of my articles will contain screen shots which I want the user to be able to  show in the pdf.

SalesGorilla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SalesGorilla » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:26 am

Hi! First of all I really like the template and find it to be the most interesting design and functionality.  I have tried all the contest templates and your get my vote for the best - easiest to understand template.

There are just a few issues for my want list.
-- I really need a larger component space.  I am trying to use the template with VirtueMart and it really doesn't fit (I can figure out how to customize it - but then it is a different template and not so easily upgradable.
-- While I like the collapsable right column, what I really would like (as some of the legacy templates provided) is to expand the component area when the right column is not in use.    Collapsing the right column as implemented can be somewhat  disorienting for users - who I think would prefer the menus to be anchored on the screen.
-- There definitely seem to be a few interaction issues with VirtueMart Modules that I have to figure out.
-- And of course as others have mentioned, a font size adjuster and fluid template width options would be great.

But like I said, you have my vote.
-------------------------------------------
SalesGorilla

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest”