yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
dcaceres
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by dcaceres » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Devil,
I made changes on the css and now I can't see the "Add comment" link  :-\
Last edited by dcaceres on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Devil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 am

HI...

change in the default.css (line 19) this is the yvComment css...

Code: Select all

div.yvComment .NumCommentsAlone {
background:transparent url(../images/readon_arrow.png) no-repeat scroll left center;
to

div.yvComment .NumCommentsAlone {
background:transparent url(../templates/js_weblogic_blue/images/readon_arrow.png) no-repeat scroll left center;
and delete this in div.yvComment .NumCommentsAlone {

text-indent:-5000em;
mfg Devil

http://www.joomla-aktuell.de - Joomla-Aktuell - a German Joomla News Site

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:05 am

dcaceres wrote: Hi! Please I need your help. I'm newbie with CSS...
How I can change the style for the link Add Comment (in Spanish: Agregue su comentario)??  ???
CSS is very specific area. I think you should search help for it in CSS-specific forum (not Joomla).
IMHO good CSS editor (or HTML+CSS editor) may help you figure it out, e.g. TopStyle, Macromedia Dreamweaver...
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

dcaceres
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcaceres » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:38 am

Sorry yvolk, excuse me. I just made an observation so that outside evaluated for future versions of plugin. This would be very good its adopts the styles of the site.

Thanks Devil, I try with your solution, but I can see the background image.

Update: I can hide the comments for the joomla search engine? I don't want that the comments appear on results when the people find news  ???
Last edited by dcaceres on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 am

dcaceres wrote: I just made an observation so that outside evaluated for future versions of plugin. This would be very good its adopts the styles of the site.
Of cause, yvComment should use styles from CSS of your site. As I wrote in this thread earlier, my advise is:
1. Turn off "Use Default CSS file" option of yvComment (it is in "Advanced parameters" now) and see, what you get without special formatting of yvComment.
2. Use style definitions from "components/com_yvcomment/assets/default.css" as starting point for customization of your template. E.g. start from copy everything from that CSS file to the CSS file of your site...
dcaceres wrote: I can hide the comments for the joomla search engine? I don't want that the comments appear on results when the people find news  ???
You can make Comments invisible for unregistered users (Access level of yvComment plugin...), so Comments would be invisible for search engines also  :)
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

dcaceres
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcaceres » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Thanks yvolk  :D

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:50 pm

yvolk wrote:
dcaceres wrote: I can hide the comments for the joomla search engine? I don't want that the comments appear on results when the people find news  ???
You can make Comments invisible for unregistered users (Access level of yvComment plugin...), so Comments would be invisible for search engines also  :)
I see, that I didn't understand you right. To make comments invisible For the "joomla search engine", you may don't "Use content table" to store comments...

dcaceres
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dcaceres » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:54 pm

This was exactly what I wanted. ;D
Activating this option I will not have any kind of problem? It increases the load in the server or affect the performance?
My site have about 3000 - 35000 unique daily.

Update:
I change this option and the comments dissapear  :P
Fortunately, just have a few comments.

I'll be waiting for teh "Bad words" option  ;)

Thanks yvolk!
Last edited by dcaceres on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

florut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by florut » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Yuri,

Very nice component. But as you say :
That Captcha plugin, though, needs some improvements. E.g. I can confirm, that it is too difficult to recognize "secret word" without error
Would'nt you rather include a small captcha system into yvcomments ? Someone already suggested the CB captcha engine in this thread...

florut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by florut » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:20 am

I made a french translation for last version of yvcomment (1.09.000). Please find the file attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Captcha plugin for yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 am

florut wrote: Hi Yuri,
Very nice component. But as you say :
That Captcha plugin, though, needs some improvements. E.g. I can confirm, that it is too difficult to recognize "secret word" without error
Wouldn't you rather include a small captcha system into yvcomments ? Someone already suggested the CB captcha engine in this thread...
Hi! Captcha "feature", as you know, is not so simple: both CoolAcid, the author of OSTCaptcha, and Community Builder (CB) team use some (adapted) third party libraries - they didn't write them.
Just out of curiosity, I searched CB forum, and found many posts (see e.g. thread "Using the "CB Captcha" feature in own CB plugin"), that show difficulty (inability) of developers to adapt that CB Captcha plugin for something else...

OSTCaptcha plugin, that is used by yvComment now, was created by CoolAcid with my close involvement in designing its interface so, that it became universal Joomla! Captcha plugin, not dependent on any specific usage. This is great!
The problem is, that OSTCaptcha plugin is not updated in a timely manner. I talked with CoolAcid and he seemed like wanted to support it... but its obvious, that he is not motivated enough to do so  :(...
But look at the thread of OSTCaptcha plugin in this forum: it seems like only I have any problems with it (or only I am using it  :) ) and only I have any suggestions for its improvement  :(. So its no wonder, that the Author doesn't want to work for "one user"...
So, if you want to have good Captcha support in Joomla! in general and in yvComment in particular, my advice is to post your comments in above mentioned thread of OSTCaptcha plugin in this forum - this way we will motivate the author (or, maybe some new developer to come  ;) ) to continue this good work.
As for me, I prefer to have a team and I can't support everything, on which yvComment depends...

florut
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by florut » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:51 am

my advice is to post your comments in above mentioned thread of OSTCaptcha plugin
Right. done !
both CoolAcid, the author of OSTCaptcha, and Community Builder (CB) team use some (adapted) third party libraries - they didn't write them.
Yes they should have used this one I think : http://www.white-hat-web-design.co.uk/a ... aptcha.php

Captcha "feature", as you know, is not so simple
Let's say that now, I know : i tried quickly and saw there is a session problem for adding the script.
But i'm really not a good programer (yet ;) )...
But look at the thread of OSTCaptcha plugin in this forum: it seems like only I have any problems with it (or only I am using it  Smiley ) and only I have any suggestions for its improvement  Sad. So its no wonder, that the Author doesn't want to work for "one user"...
As for me, I prefer to have a team and I can't support everything, on which yvComment depends...
I think people will come after releasing of Joomla 1.5 final !

I would like to help but as I mentionned before i'm not good coder. But i'm experienced in debugging and implementing small hacks to existing programs, support and growing communities.
If you wish, i could start to grow a community as I did for my Fireboard hack (I can even manage to work with some russian see my CV ;) (and if you see mistakes tell me  ;D))
Also don't you have a project registered on the forge with SVN and all things ?

evilpig
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: yvComment - version 1.3.0 released.

Post by evilpig » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Yuri,
First of all great work!!!!

I was wondering if I could change the Colors of both the "type and the color comments" to better match my sites template.

sorry if I'm doing this post in the wrong place (it's my first forum post ever.)

peace
-kev

Devil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Devil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi kev,

it is very simply the appearance of the extension is actually to be adapted. Ahead one has little notion of CSS  ;)

U can see it here:
http://www.joomla-aktuell.de/index.php? ... #yvComment

It´s fully integrated (optical) to the design of the Site.

sry for my< bad english  :-*
mfg Devil

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:33 am

Devil wrote: it is very simply the appearance of the extension is actually to be adapted. Ahead one has little notion of CSS  ;)

U can see it here:
http://www.joomla-aktuell.de/index.php? ... #yvComment

It´s fully integrated (optical) to the design of the Site.
Very nice! Hey, Devil, may you contribute to yvComment and modify default CSS file of yvComment to be a more "visually integrated" in default Joomla! template (or, better, create two variants for two templates: rhuk_milkyway and beez). So I'll include these nice CSS in yvComment package.
I'm sure, this would help many users...

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 am

florut wrote: I would like to help but as I mentioned before i'm not good coder. But i'm experienced in debugging and implementing small hacks to existing programs, support and growing communities.

Also don't you have a project registered on the forge with SVN and all things ?
Of cause, any help, including detailed (professional  ;) ) bug reports is welcome. But if you can develop complete (packaged) extension (e.g. alternative Captcha or Badwords), this would be ideal!
Good luck!

PS: I don't use SVN, because I'm not used to it (yet)...
Last edited by yvolk on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Devil » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 am

Hi yvolk,

yes i can do this!

And i´m modified some Code to wrap long words. I think i will send you the CSS Files this week and give you my modified Version,too. The Code changes will documentet (extrem bad  :(  but commentet). Than it is your turn to put it in an official release or not ;)

The next step then i will take a look in the bbcode Plugin to have a better look´n´feel  when i have enough time because my Project (the Site in my previous Posting) will still come up to the Germans and open the gates official...

I will inform you per PN when the work on the css is done.

greetings Markus
mfg Devil

hansjr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hansjr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Hey all, a nice comment plugin but I have some problems with Joomla RC3 SVN:9311 07-Nov-2007 (just for ref I also tried with 1.5RC3) It seems that built in SEF somehow makes this plugin to fail. With SEF on and Guest client on and configuration as you described on your page, with all plugins and extras. I get 500 - An error has occurred "View not found [name, type, prefix]: comment,html,contentView" with SEF off everything works perfect!

PHP version:  4.4.7 

mlines
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mlines » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Just installed it on version

* @version $Id: CHANGELOG.php 8972 2007-09-21 03:22:16Z eddieajau $

and got the error message:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class jfilteroutput in /homepages/36/d99914328/htdocs/bigjimny/libraries/joomla/filter/output.php on line 25

when trying to access the Plugin to configure it.

Further info yvSmiley, yvBBcode and OST-Captcha all give the same message - looks like a general installation problem?

Martin
Last edited by mlines on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Devil » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi mlines,

try rc3 or the actually SVN  ;)
mfg Devil

mlines
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mlines » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:22 pm

I have, I am on the latest SVN

The line posted above was from the wrong CHANGELOG.PHP

I am on the 7th Nov SVN

Further investigation shows ALL plugins return the same message - even the built in ones.

Martin

mlines
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mlines » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:33 pm

A rebuild by deleting the entire site and putting on a clean version of the nightly build cured the problems.

I have one further problem - captcha does not do anything, either with capcha on or off. I have loaded the OST plugin

Martin

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:01 am

mlines wrote: A rebuild by deleting the entire site and putting on a clean version of the nightly build cured the problems.
Good.
mlines wrote: I have one further problem - captcha does not do anything, either with capcha on or off. I have loaded the OST plugin
Hi, Martin! Do you really think anybody may figure out your problem, using this information?  :)
Please also report your problem (giving as much relevant information, as you can...) to the thread of OSTCaptcha plugin in this forum.

mlines
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mlines » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:05 am

No I dont expect anyone to diagnose it from the infomation I have given, I would like a pointer as to what information is required. Basically it does nothing, the comments work perfectly but I do not see any captcha, no error messages - nothing

Martin

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:24 am

mlines wrote: No I dont expect anyone to diagnose it from the infomation I have given, I would like a pointer as to what information is required. Basically it does nothing, the comments work perfectly but I do not see any captcha, no error messages - nothing
Got you. I see, that Captcha, like any other plugin, needs some "debugging mode", in which it will display some results of selftest... In this case it looks like the only way to fix the problem is to have Administrator access to your web site, so developer may install, test and uninstall plugins...

By the way, did you:
1) Enable Captcha plugin
2) Set option "Use Captcha" option to "Yes" in yvComment
3) Set option "Allow guests to add comments" option to "Yes" in yvComment - there is no Captcha for Registered uses (its for Guests only!)!
Last edited by yvolk on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:15 pm

Guys,

I've needed to change my captcha plugin because my visitors were complaining about not being able to figure out what letters they were supposed to type :).. anyway, I've switched to a better looking Captcha.

It was pretty easy... if you use CoolAcid's architecture and you won't need to change anything in yvcomment.

check it out:
http://www.bigodines.com/blog/index.php ... tid=1:2007

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:02 am

bigodines wrote: I've needed to change my captcha plugin because my visitors were complaining about not being able to figure out what letters they were supposed to type :).. anyway, I've switched to a better looking Captcha.

It was pretty easy... if you use CoolAcid's architecture and you won't need to change anything in yvcomment.

check it out:
http://www.bigodines.com/blog/index.php ... tid=1:2007
Good news! ...but, bigodines, may you share your "better looking Captcha"  :) with community? If so, please, publish it in the Joomla! Extensions directory.

The idea of creating a set of "universal plugins"  (the architecture) is implemented in all plugins, that are used by yvComment: yvBBCode and yvSmiley also use interfaces, that are not "extension unique", so you may use with/create alternative plugins for yvComment AND you may use these same plugins in other Joomla! extensions!

BTW, CoolAcid didn't fully followed this architecture and his plugin has second, "extension specific" interface, that IMO should not be copied to the "alternate Captha" plugin... please contact with me for more techinal talk, if you decide to publish your plugin...

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 am

My project hasn't been approved by the JED crew yet.

What do you mean when you say it shouldn't be copied to the alternative captcha? what's wrong?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:00 pm

bigodines wrote: What do you mean when you say it shouldn't be copied to the alternative captcha? what's wrong?
1. Plugin shouldn't have any public static members to call (that are called "Non-Trigger" on the OSTCaptcha homepage), e.g. in the form:
plgSystemCaptcha::display();
2. Please read suggestions to the OSTCaptcha.
3. I think, we may continue more detailed discussion in separate, your extension's thread (in this forum). Please, create it as soon as your extension will be approved.
4. Looking at your web page, I saw one addition to the interface, that we should make: "Text description of Captcha image" should be received from Captcha plugin (Maybe in the form of text constant, translated by Joomla, so you have to add language files...): Now we see "...Lowercase letters only" - this statement is not true for your plugin, as I understand...
Last edited by yvolk on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leszekj
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by leszekj » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:51 pm

I installed the extension and I had two problems:
1. while trying to post a message as a guest, I saw the message: "Guest user account is not set. Please set 'Username of Guest' option." I could not get rid of it in any way.
2. Captcha is extremely hard to recognize, so this plugin with this kind of captcha cannot be used on a webpage.
Having these problems, I allowed only registered users to post comments and turned off the captcha.
I think that after changing this horrible captcha the extension will be great!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”